Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Mad scientist

10 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Lemontwist.

I already wrote you in a few other posts but I am glad you introduced yourself here.

Have you checked out the program at all? The program will walk you through a quit plan and help you gather all the information you need to have a successful quit. Also be sure to utilize the search tool in the forums. There are tons of great discussions on here that you might find useful to read through. The more information you can arm yourself with the better!

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi lemontwist,

I also came here so that I wouldn't wear out my friends.

You are correct that you have to just give up the smokes forever. The message that I keep coming back here for is how just one cigarette so easily becomes a full relapse. If you are a nicotine addict, there is no such thing as " just one." 

These days, I acknowledge that I'm still an addict, but it sure is nice to be an addict in recovery. No more of that constant anxiety over when and where the next smoke is going to happen. And that's because it's not going to happen. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,623.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 604 Hours: 18

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've posted several times now but figured I may as well officially introduce myself. I got tired of obsessing about smoking constantly and bugging my friend with endless text messages about how much I hate quitting (she's a non-smoker, happy to help me but really doesn't understand what I'm going through) and was really happy to find this website and find out that I'm not alone in any of my thoughts and experiences. I haven't been a smoker for a terribly long time (which ironically hasn't made it any easier to quit), maybe several months, and this is my 3rd serious attempt to quit. I'm ready to be over it. I'm using the cold turkey method, relying on my good old willpower. The first time I tried to quit I didn't realize that quitting means more than just going a week without smoking and then lighting up again. My last relapse was after almost 2 months smoke-free, and although I can use every excuse in the book for why I started again (anxiety, traveling, being in Europe where smoking is more ubiquitous) it just boiled down to I wanted a cigarette and I gave in. I really don't want to relapse again and am starting to learn from all of the posts here that it truly is up to me, and that I have to admit to myself that I will always be addicted to nicotine.

My day job is research scientist, which means my curiosity has at many times gotten the best of me (why else start smoking at my age?). I also recently suffered a very bad ankle injury which means that my ability to cope with withdrawal by running/exercising is seriously limited, but I am not letting that derail my plan to quit. I am very excited to regain control over my life and I dream of one day being able to go over 24 hours without thinking about smoking. I was a closeted smoker, only one or two people knew that I smoked, so I am happy to be able to stop hiding and sneaking around.

Thanks for all of your help, kind words and support. It means SO much! 

Reading this thread: