Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

baby steps

12 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Working On It!!

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to give it another go!  It sounds like you have a pretty good plan, but I do "recommend" going through the Program!  There is a lot of great information there to consider!  Others have mentioned the Alan Carr book really helped them in their planning stage.  For me, I started on Chantix and then found this site and that was the magic ticket for me!  The Chantix really helped to minimize the craves and the SSC gave me the educational tools and the personal support!  I owe my quit to all of my quit buddies here!

Along with the Program, another "suggestion" I have is to really try to psych yourself up about this quit.  Go into this with a Positive Mental Attitude, a Can Do attitude and that will make the whole journey that much more manageable.  

Also, to combat that boredom at home, log in!!!  Read and learn from you new quit buddies here!  If there's something you want to know, do a search!  Or, you can just ask!  I'm sure someone will be able to bump a thread forward in one of the forums that will be of assistance!  Personally, I spent a LOT of time here during the first few months of my quit.  It really helped and I met a lot of really great people who have been so helpful!  

So, when you are ready to make the plunge, go forward and don't look back!!  The gift of freedom from this addiction will be the best gift you will ever be able to give yourself!!!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 10

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey...I quit 2 days ago. But, I wanted to give you my thoughts on this program...

I used it about 8 years ago and quit cold turkey- successfully for over a year. I always brag about the site and when I wanted to try this again I spent A LOT of time trying to find this specific site to use (I couldn't remember the address).

So, you're at the right place! I remember when I first joined I knew I was in the right place when I hit my 30 day mark and someone congratulated me and said something along the lines of "day 60 SUCKS!" For me, I was appreciative and on day 60 I had big plans to distract myself!

The car thing is SO helpful! I was a car smoker. Before I quit I cleaned out my car and stopped smoking in the car. I told my self (and did so on more than one occasion) that I could stop and get out and smoke, but I couldn't smoke IN the car. I did that for about 2 weeks before I quit and it helped.

You go, girl!
Sarah 
  • Quit Meter

$217,977.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4099 Hours: 17

Minutes: 20 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome working on it- sounds like you have a good plan worked out already and as others have said you have to do what works best for you. I did a cut down first, then on to the patches for the real quit. I found a combination of the patches and the support from SSC ( plus my desire to quit) helped me to success. It was good to come here and ask questions or just to get a virtual pat on the back.
I look forward to hearing how it goes for you and welcome again. 
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Taanoir ! 57 days !  No Patches , no nuthin ! YOO HOO !

12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It comes down to what works for you. I started with my mental addiction using patches, I needed to retrain my hands and my mouth - so far so good. In all honesty, I kinda laughed at parts of the program, and I picked and choose what worked for me. What really made the difference is the people here, no there is no chat program, but they are pretty quick on the responses just the same. I quit because I got hit with Bronchitis in January, last year it was pneumonia, I was handed an inhaler to use everyday, I'm 33 not good. I smoked for 17 yrs, and only ever tried to quit once - I've been quit for 57 days. If what your doing is working for you fantastic. Look forward to seeing you in the boards
12 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Eyja, willisv56, and Ashley for your kind responses. I appreciate the detached and supportive responses from all of you. I chuckled out loud at Eyja's statement that "your rebel is safe here." Those were words I really needed.

I did look around a bit after I posted, and it appears that everyone here has their own path to freedom. I am comfortable with the message board format, as I've utilized other online forums. Although responses aren't immediate, the boards allow for a wide variety of ideas and interactions. I think I'll be hanging out here for a while.
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Working on it!

You have certainly come to the right place. We will be here to support you on your quit goals whatever they may be.  Many members and Health Educators here will offer advice but it is up to you whether to take it or not. The Health Educators here will more then likely ask you questions over advice in order to help you come to your own conclusions. We have learned that telling people what to do doesn't really work. Goals and motivation have to come from the individual.

That all being said, I encourage you (not advise!) to work on the program. It is full of information and motivation. It also has questions scattered around the content to get you thinking.  I also encourage you to search through the forums and post often. There is a ton of tips and inspiration here so take your time looking around.  It is also a good distraction from boredom!

It sounds to me that you have a lot of motivation and a realistic approach to tackling this.  I look forward to reading more from you.

Take care,

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Workingatit, Let me assure you , you have come to the right place. Everyone here has the same goal as you do and everyone here is taking a somewhat different path to get there. I think your baby step method is a good one. Getting past those "favorite" smokes makes it easier down the line I think, when you give them all up.

Anyway , it sounds like you have a plan and that's the important thing. Please stay with us and share whatever thoughts you like and remember, we are all in the same boat Workingatit. 

Sincerely,
Bill
12 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Working On It; Congratulations on all you've accomplished so far!  Understanding your motivation to quit, getting a handle on your behaviors, learning all you can about smoking and finding ways to cut down gradually while figuring out what each of those smokes means to you at any given time . . . these are great steps in planning your quit!  
This forum is quite cozy and it sometimes takes time to get to know fellow members - there isn't a live chat here (that I'm aware of anyway!) or IM, so the time it takes to write and receive replies can go on for quite some time.  The good thing is that the board is timeless - you can read back to your first post years down the road and see just how far you've come! It is a good site for a 'reflective' quit - and there are some really great people who've been willing to stick around for a number of years to share their methods, successes & failures.  I doubt anyone here would try to tell you how to do anything!  Your rebel is safe here!  ARRrrggh!  We do have that theme in common, so  I know of what you speak here! But your journey is your own.  We ex smokers at SSC have all been where you stand at this time and someone is likely to have some feedback on whatever method you choose to get your quit under way.  The Health Educators are knowledgeable, supportive and very kind.  The program here is good and if you follow it, you'll learn a lot.  I am a cold turkey quitter of 1 year and the only quit smoking mantra I've followed is N.O.P.E. - Not One Puff Ever!  Once past the first few hurdles - I found out this really works!    Best wishes on your way to smoking freedom!  Eyja
12 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I'm just starting my journey towards quitting, and I'm hoping that I'm coming to the right place. I am a real weakling at this, and my personal methods aren't exactly in line with what I've read I "should" be doing. However, I know how my own twisted and addicted mind works, so I'm taking steps that make sense to me. I'm hoping that I'll find acceptance and support here.

My story is that I've smoked for about 25 years. I've had few serious attempts at quitting. In the past few months, I've started rolling the idea over seriously in my head. I'm tired of the health concerns. The high blood pressure, the occasional need for the inhaler, the longer time it takes to heal from colds and flu, the knowledge that I am hurting my heart and lungs, the worrying about reducing my life expectancy and/or quality of life as I get older. I've also gone through some life changes in the past couple of years. They have been positive, but have caused me to re-evaluate some of my habits and behaviors. I'm currently single (as a result of one of those life changes), and it occured to me that I would have a wider selection of dating partners if I were to be smoke-free. I'd also be a lot nicer smelling to anyone who chose to date me. So, those are my main motivations for quitting. Money is a side benefit.

I started a little over a month ago with a very incremental plan. Since my behaviors are just as ingrained as the physical addiction, I thought I'd be better off starting with the behaviors only. I'm using the nicotine lozenges, since I want the oral stimulation, but I hate gum. I have been doing this in baby, baby steps. My first step was to replace my morning cig and cigs on the way to work with a lozenge. I did that for about 2 weeks before I got used to it. Then I replaced the lunch cigarette with a lozenge. I discovered pretty quickly that the lozenge needs to happen before lunch, or I've pushed things too far, and I'll just want a "hit" of smoke by lunch. After another 2 weeks, I traded my afternoon break cig for another lozenge. So, I've basically eliminated smoking until I'm done with work each day. (Weekends are another story. :P ) Next step will be to eliminate the smoking in the car on the way home. At that point, I hope to get my car detailed and have the vents blown, so it will smell good enough for me to not want to stink it up again.

I think my big hurdle will be the at-home cigarettes, as this is something I do to counteract boredom, etc. at home. I'm not quite ready to take that step yet, but it should be coming in about 3 more weeks. I'm also having a hard time with the concept of letting it go altogether. That is why I am here.

One of the underlying emotional-behavioral issues with me has to do with the rebellion that smoking represents. I've been a little scared to reach out for support until now; I'm afraid that someone will tell me what to do or how I should do it, and that will set of the "smoking to rebel" impulse. At this point, I function better with "you go, girl!" than with criticism or advice. (The fact that I can accept a "you go, girl!" without feeling defiant is a step in and of itself for me.) If I'm in the wrong place for that approach, please let me know, so I can seek another forum.
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: