Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,654 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Day 1

12 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jennydls,

Congratulations on your decision to quit and making it through day one!  Taking a quick walk is a great alternative to smoking. On my lunch break today (I'm on day one) I went to the mall and walked from one end to the other, of course, stopping to check out some sales items along the way

Jules
12 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jenny,

Smokes and coffee and smokes and alcohol are hand and glove.  A temporary change to tea or other product and a short walk around the office area is in order.  Notice on your walk how the the other non-smokers don't give a hoot about smoking.  Start to realize that it can end.  You can have your coffee without a smoke in short order.

Stoit
12 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats Jennydls!

It sounds like you came up with your own solution to your problem.  Why don't you take your coffee break but come here to read and post instead of smoking? A big part of quitting is coming up with new behaviors to replace smoking behaviors.  Avoiding breaks is not the answer; you need breaks, especially now!  Find healthy alternatives that work for you.

Members, any suggestions to alternatives for a coffee break?
Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 168 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Jenny! :)

I'm using the patch as well and, I agree... it REALLY helped. I'm mentally ready, so that part is relatively easy, and the patch made the physical cravings manageable as well. In fact, I think I loved the 21mg patch more than smoking. It felt like chain smoking... a constant stream of nicotine. It really, really helped.

Keep going, it gets sssooo satisfying! When you wake up in the morning, think about the cravings you beat... you'll feel so proud and encouraged to start the day strong.

12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well made it through day 1 without too much trouble. The patch has helped alot and I dont think I could make this without it.  My only trouble yesterday was coffee breaks at work....what do you do.  I just worked through them instead of taking them. I guess when I am ready I can start taking them again. Well now to make it though day 2.
I love this websit, I do spend alot of time here reading in the morning with my coffee.

12 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jennydls  Congratulations on making the decision to stop smoking. Nobody knows more about being nervous or apprehensive than I do about stopping smoking. If they had taken a concensus in November of 2008 as to whether I'd be able to stay stopped for any length of time the outlook wouldn't have been positive. Take it one day at a time , one hour , ten minutes or even a minute at a time if you have to. Tell yourself that no matter what happens that I won't smoke today. Keep lots of ice cold water in the fridge and any time you get a crave drown it with ice water. Post when you need to and read some of the thousands of posts here. You're the most important person here. Excellent for you. breather
12 years ago 0 168 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Jenny! We'll be here to cheer you on! :)
12 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on your first day Jennydls!

Being nervous is normal.  Prepare by reading through the program and forums.  The more information you can arm yourself with the bettter!

You are right on focusing why you want to quit.  How do you think it will feel when you know now you have control?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well today is Day 1.  I have decided it is time to quit. I am trying the patch, which I have used before.  I guess I am alittle nervous about quitting as I guess most people are.  But I am tired of being controlled by this little white thing.  I want to be able to be free of it.
My Doctor always told me I would know when it was time to quit. And I do believe that I am ready for this.

Reading this thread: