Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,536 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

gave it a shot

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello again Morgan!!!

I'm going to agree with Karren here.  Pick a date after your birthday and  STICK  WITH  IT ! ! !  Use the time in the interim to Prepare!!!   Remember the 6 P's...  Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!  Go through the milestones in the program, download the workbook and read posts here on the forums!!!  We keep preaching this to you because that is what we did!  We prepared, got ourselves psyched up to quit and from then on it has been NOPE!!!

Bob is absolutely right, you have to change your mindset!   If you really love smoking so much, why are you trying to quit?  You will not willingly give up something you think you love!!!  I think I told you this in a previous post...  You have to absolutely  H A T E smoking and what it does to you to get you in the right frame of mind to be able to quit because it is all-out war!!!  You have got to want to quit smoking more than you want to smoke!!!  Does that make sense!!!

You are the one that has to work this out in your mind.  Keep preparing, keep learning and keep reading and posting!  It will click for you eventually!  This is sometimes a slow process that takes time...  I know, my first real quit attempt was 30 years ago.  The damage to my lungs "may" be irreversable, I don't know.  I just hope that you have that strength to quit while you are young!  You CAN do it!!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 503
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,575
Amount Saved: $2,074.88
Life Gained:
Days: 85 Hrs: 7 Mins: 40 Seconds: 2

• Quit Meter

$44,302.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 7

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
morgan,

Each smoker develops different habits of when they smoke and how often. Some people find that they smoke more in the mornings while others find they smoke more on weekends or in the evenings. To be honest, it really all depends on your daily activities, environment, and those around you.

As other members have suggested, begin to reflect on your own habits and how your new life as a non-smoker will be affected by these changes.

Keep us updated on how you are doing and if there is anything we can do it help. Good luck!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
alrighty guys, today was a little bit stressful. but hey , everyday can be! I'm a server at a really busy restuarant which being a server is really demanding, I'm proud to say I didn't smoke a single smoke, and i didn't have to use Thrive, my shift was over 5 hours. It was hard , but i felt amazing after, i was nic-ing out hardcore, but it made me feel so much more empowered after . This is going to sound really stupid, When i don't smoke and im withdrawling from the nicotine I feel really dizzy and wierd. When i'm withdrawling and i'm driving, i get really scared because i feel as if I'm not driving properly , I'm almost 18, been driving since i was 14, I'm a great driver too. But today it just seemed really difficult to cope because i was withdrawling, is there any way i can stop that. I dont want to start smoking really heavily again because i can't drive properly you know.

I'm also very proud to say, I had 3 smokes today, this pack of 25 king size cigerettes has lasted me since sunday, thats pretty much 5 whole days, and a pack only use to last me 2 - 2 and a half days. It's really proud. I also didn't use Thrive, or any kind of nicotine substance besides my cigerettes today.

morgan.
14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morgan, just remember that this temporary inconvenience will yield a HUGE permanent improvement.  Please remind the people around you a week or two of moodiness is worth a lifetime of healthy smoke free living! 
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 330
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,200
Amount Saved: $3,300.00
Life Gained:
Days: 49 Hrs: 7 Mins: 14 Seconds: 2

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Morgan!!!

You really CAN quit and you will be so happy when you get finally defeat the nico-demon!!!  I'm another one that really hopes that you can get it done while you are still young, as I was unable to do so also!!!

As I have repeated many times since I came here, prepare yourself well, psych yourself up for the battle ahead and when you are ready, never look back!!!  It really is an all-out war against the addiction that you will go through, but the more you read and learn here the more you will know that you CAN do it!!!  

You have bunch of supportive quit buddies here now and you can ask anything or just rant and complain if you want!  Just remember that your true friends will be very supportive of you in your quit and the smoker friends you have might actually be jealous that you are taking the plunge to better your health!  Wait and watch...  they'll be monitoring your progress and may eventually tell themselves that if you can do it, so can they!!!  YOU may be the new role model!

So, prepare well and keep telling yourself that you will soon be a NON-SMOKER!!!  It really IS cool not to smoke!

Jim       

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 498
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,450
Amount Saved: $2,054.25
Life Gained:
Days: 84 Hrs: 10 Mins: 12 Seconds: 9

• Quit Meter

$44,302.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 7

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you guys are amazing, it's really good getting feedback from you all. You're all so caring and have such wisdom and like true stories. Everyone i told they give me the whole " uh huh, sure, oh thats good" It bugs me , because i do so many good things in my life and here i'm trying to cut my risks and none of my friends can back me up.  I've noticed when i want a ciggerette really badly i drink a lot of water, and in the mornings I'm walking my dogs, it's calming. Has anyone else noticed this , when you plan to quit and are ready to quit, like some kind of stress happens and then you have already forgotten about quitting smoking ?

- Alright, so I'll admit I'm doing a great job right now, but i feel horrible for the people constantly around me, they say im " blunt, really moody, and arrogant" and i can now see it . it's been 2 days now since i've drastically reduced and i just had my first flip out. but other than that, i think it's smooth sailing from here.   

14 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started smoking when I was 12, I smoked for 32  years, I am 44. I wish I were 17 again and know what I know now, back then,,,,,,,recently the price of cigarettes went up to 6.50, that's when I decided I wanted to quit, I am tired of making cigarette companies rich, while I scrape by, I was spending 18.00 dollars every three days...........There is a really helpful book you can read entitled "Stop smoking the easyway" written by Allen Carr, I think after you read this book if will change your mindset so that stopping smoking will be easier.  I discovered the book and read it three times to fully understand the message.....another helpful thing I found out after using the gum, and then patches is flavored toothpicks, they taste good and satisfy the oral craving  you will get, works for me............anyway I think you are very brave to search out a helpful site like this and acknowledge that you know smoking is bad.......its a number one killer of people that wouldn't have to die, if they didn't smoke.  Its a serious addiction that needs to be addressed on a wider scale, it depresses me that cigarettes are so accessible, you can buy then on practically every corner,,,,,,,,,if smoking were illegal like pot, would you still take the chance to smoke?  Or wouldn't you be concerned about getting caught?  Your life is in front of you,,,,,yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is going to be a much better place, if you can fight smoking and get yourself free,,,,,,,,,,,think of the money if nothing else. Its stupid to spend money on something you light up, inhale and then discard......its like eating tons of ice cream, once its gone you still want more. And to get free from paying for nicotine gum,or patches is good too, why make pharmaceutical companies rich off of an addiction?????? I wish you all the best, and wish for you the freedom to breath clean fresh air.....and be proud of your quit. Jules
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 14
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 280
Amount Saved: $91.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 9 Mins: 10 Seconds: 18

14 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morgan.

Your going the right way about cutting down. Push the cigarettes you enjoy the most far away from their alloted time. For me it was my first one in the morning and the ones after meals. First day i pushed them off by an hour, next day 1 hour 15minutes, next day 1 hour 30 minutes. All the time i'd reward myself for accomplishing my small goals (a candy stick/ piece of chocolate) until i started rewarding myself by pushing the cigarette off for another hour ontop of what i'd already accomplished. I figured 'I dont want to smoke, so thats got to be the best treat of all'. Then i started on 'I'm only going to smoke this cigarette until i stop enjoying it. 3 or 4 puffs later when the initial feeling of enjoyment had gone, i stubbed it out. I'll confess if i did enjoy it all the way down, i smoked it all the way down. My smoking cessation counsellor said i'd hit all the major points of the habit cigarettes doing that.

Also as far as anger goes, at your age it can be a powerfull tool, just direct it at the right things. When you feel angry get angry at smoking. Be careful though, dont just go unleashing pure rage around the house, try a punchbag.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 200
Amount Saved: �58.50
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 10 Mins: 39 Seconds: 38

14 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey mate
Now is the time to quit
Believe me I have had many experiences of 'cutting down' (50 years on and off!) you just spend your time counting the minutes to the next smoke!!
Come on bite the bullet!!
I did and soon I will have 3 years under my belt.
Its not easy but anything worthwhile never is!!
Phil(england)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1073
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 23,606
Amount Saved: �6,277.05
Life Gained:
Days: 224 Hrs: 5 Mins: 49 Seconds: 9

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitting smoking, or even reducing the amount we smoke, produces myriad side effects. Not everyone experiences exactly the same effects to the same degree, but many side effects, such as moodiness, are experienced by almost everyone. What I'm wondering is this: If you are experiencing withdrawals while cutting down, why not just quit altogether? Things won't be much worse than they already are. People on this board are right; "I'll quit one day" easily turns into years and the more years you are a smoker, the more damage your body will undergo. Smoking is like playing Russian-Roulette. You don't know if, how or when smoking will have very negative effect on your body. Carol Burnett's daughter, Carrie Hamilton, died at age 38 of lung cancer. One of my friends lost her 40 year old mother to lung cancer when she was just 19 and her youngest sibling was 8.  We are not all George Burns or Winston Churchill. There is no safe level at which to smoke. Consider planning to quit now.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 76
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,052
Amount Saved: $769.50
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 7 Mins: 8 Seconds: 27

Reading this thread: