Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Time has run out for me

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Welcome to SSC and i sure hope you do quit, it dont sound like you have a real choice, stay strong, and know you can do this :) Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2211
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 53,064
Amount Saved: $9,286.20
Life Gained:
Days: 316 Hrs: 2 Mins: 32 Seconds: 23

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there Meow

I can only second what the others have already said.  Count 1 more soul that welcomes you and will do my best to help you through this experience.

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 282
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,230
Amount Saved: $951.75
Life Gained:
Days: 45 Hrs: 9 Mins: 15 Seconds: 43

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, I am amazed and so grateful to have found this site.  I honestly believe with the support and advice from everyone here I can actually do this!  It is such a comfort knowing that there are so many other people that have been through this and made it.  I know how close people on forums can become, I belong to a medical forum for the disease I have and if it was not for the people there I wouldn't be fighting this disease the way I am, I would have just folded and given in to it.

I ended up telling my husband, who smokes, that I had set my quit date for Sept 2nd.  But I did tell him please not to nag, or hassle me, and that I didn't want to tell the kids.  They are the worst at nagging LOL. 

I have my motivation and my will to take back my life and kick this addiction.  I have to if I want a chance to extend my life even if only for a couple more years.  To be able to have some sort of normal life back and maybe even go into remission from this disease and go back to work.  How wonderful that would be.

Thank you again everyone.  I look forward to getting to know you all better, and maybe even down the road be able to help someone else conquer this addiction.

Terri 
  • Quit Meter

$51,426.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 786 Hours: 13

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Terri. That's a hard row to hoe but you'll give those stem cells a break if they don't have to deal with the toxins from cigarettes.   Listen carefully to Ladycig and Laurie and Reggie and Sue and Henny Penny and  anyone else who will give you advice on quitting smokes.... read deep around the archives and know that you're preparing your system for the chance of a lifetime - there's your motivation right there!  My presonal preference would be to stay quiet about your quit for a while until you feel more established in it!

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 222
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,550
Amount Saved: $2,497.50
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 6 Mins: 45 Seconds: 28

15 years ago 0 289 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just want to Welcome you to the group.   :-)
Lisa

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 150
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,000
Amount Saved: $660.00
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 9 Mins: 52 Seconds: 25

15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Terri,   I am a 5 + yr stroke survivor,   I decided.. this is my final quit..

I used Chantix.. and I also read "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking"  finding friends, eading posts has been a huge help.    can't tell you how amazed my husband and I are.. that i have made it past 6 months....

so for your health.. you are here,  but there is so much help and understanding here.

Welcome toSSC
Bonnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 198
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,366
Amount Saved: $673.20
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 10 Mins: 26 Seconds: 12

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terri,

Welcome to our support community.  As you can see we are all here for support and knowledge and we do know a little of what you are going through and what you will face ahead.  The program will help you step by step and milestone by milestone to cut back and eventually quit.

The knowledge, support and experience here is for you to draw on, so take what you need and keep it close.  Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time and know that we are just a key stroke away for help and guidance.

This is the right choice for you and you can do this.

Let us know how we can help

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Terry.  I totally sympathize with your nagging experiences.  And I have never met anyone who quit successfully because another person (or group of people) wanted them to.  We have to quit for us.  Unfortunately, people who aren't addicted to nicotine don't understand that it's an addiction like any of the others out there.  Not so easy to "just stop".

It sounds like you've had some really tough medical blows recently.  I wish you all the best.  You're making the right decision.  Stay strong.  Here's to a smooth and successful quit!
AK

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 72
Amount Saved: $31.68
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 14 Mins: 13 Seconds: 4

15 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terri, I applaud your choice for life

I recommend you spend a lot of time reading here, check out the stories posted of those before us, the search bar top right is excellent and of course our members are too.

The most important thing to know is that you can do this, you will feel better for it, and your quality of life will improve.  I smoked for 25 years Terri, also started young, and I loved it.  Didn't want to quit, until I did.

We are all with you, use the tools here, and the advice and commit to this quit, protect it, arm yourself for triggers and reward yourself for each day smoke free.  It is that simple.  If you get in trouble, post here FIRST, ask for help, wait for 10 replies before you act.  Delay and distract.

Take care
Sue

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 481
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,810
Amount Saved: $962.00
Life Gained:
Days: 46 Hrs: 22 Mins: 18 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Terry,
You've come to the best place in the world to help you quit smoking and most of the time we don't do any nagging here.  You've gotten and will get all the help and encouragement you could want here.  Prepare in every way you can think of for your quit day.  It will make it much easier and less stressful to know what you might encounter in your quit and have a plan pre-made for unexpected cravings.  Do all the workbooks and read everything you can about addiction (Henny Penny's right...the EasyWay to Quit Smoking really helped me understand addiction better).  Get yourself into a positive frame of mind.  Freespirt speaks the truth...you don't have to suffer, you're not giving up anything good...you're simply going to stop doing something that's harmful and will cause your body more damage every time you do it!

I understand a little of what you're going through health wise, as I too have Scleroderma though I am still in the early stages and my organs are ok so far (I have the auto-immune disorder, CREST syndrome, plus fibromyalgia).  Prevention of cumulative damage to our organs is key to staying healthy with the Scleroderma as you know, so your quitting smoking will benefit you from the very SECOND you smoke your LAST ONE!  It may be helpful to think about what the smoke is doing inside your body each time you light up and each time you inhale.  every puff you take now and analyze every craving you beat down as well!  Journal your triggers, when you're cravings and make plans to change your routine, distract yourself and find ways to avoid triggers and cravings for the first few days. 

Rewards are important, so stock up on little things and plan your big rewards.  Our bodies are used to the reward of smoking (about 40 times a day for you) so substitute not doing something bad with something good until your body heals and your endorphines kick back in naturally.  Yes, your body will need time to heal just from the nicotine withdrawl, so when you're feeling uncomfortable in your early quit, embrace it and know it's your body getting better.  After the first couple weeks it's a mental game.  The mental game is what most of us have trouble with, that's why we don't usually stay quit the first few times we try.  Read up on addictions and be ready for it to try to lure you back.  Gain the knowledge you need to kick the addiction out of your life for good and make this your "forever" quit.  Be ready, then stay vigilant and you will win your freedom forever from this horrible addiction.

I'll be thinking of you on the 2nd wishing you well with your quit.  Stick close to the SSC as you prepare for your quit and post whenever you have questions or need help.  Know without a doubt that you can and will do this and then protect your quit at all costs.  We can offer buckets of support, and with your determination you will quit and never, ever look back.  Freedom from addiction is so worth it.

Please let us know how it goes on the 23rd and 24th.  Best of luck, wishing you tons of knowledge and good mojo all around.

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 576
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 23,040
Amount Saved: $11,520.00
Life Gained:
Days: 70 Hrs: 8 Mins: 47 Seconds: 31

• Quit Meter

$120,902.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter