Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,719 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ktktindy1, Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142

Tomorrow

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Look at all the great advice you two!! Make this site your home and bring a bed and iced water and read and read and read and talk to us over and over as the guys say here!! This is no joke... your very lives depend on quitting this crazy addiction to nicotine... Patrick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/18/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,525 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,136.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Gunnar and welcome to SSC!!!! Congrats on your decision to quit smoking, it is the best thing you could do for yourself!!! Anxiety is very common among quitters. I too was very scared when I started my quit. I didn't know if I could do it, I was scared of failing and I was scared of not having that crutch (a cig) when things got rough or what not... Then I found this site and found that I wasn't the only one with the same fears. I learned that it isn't the end of the world if I have a slip, just brush myself off and jump back on the train. So, I didn't need to fear failing. The only time you fail is when you give up trying. I learned that it is normal to greive the loss of a "friend" (even though cigs aren't the friends we think they are)... It will take some time to retrain you brain. You have to teach your brain your new habits. Be sure to work through the program here, it really does help a lot. Read as much as you can here. You will find that there are A LOT of people that have gone through and are going through exactly what you are. There are some wonderful people here and all of them are right there for ya if you need them. Set some coping skills into place. Cold water really helps when you have a crave... a walk is good... sugarfree gum/candy works for some, positve self talk, there are so many and I am sure that others will reply with more. Find what works for you, anything that you can do that will keep you from smoking. Be sure to stay positive... Write down your reasons for quitting and if things get tough pull them out and read them to remind you what you are working for. AND, be sure to reward yourself. Rewards don't have to cost much and some can even be free. Just find something that would make you feel good about your quit and yourself! You can do this and we are all here for you!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 375 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,500 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,875.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 29 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 447 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to you Gunnar and to Steph. PMA-Positive Mental Attitude. It's hard to keep a PMA all the time, but with posting regular and using some of the tools outlined in this program you have a chance. Be prepared with plenty of cold, cold water and lots of healthy snacks. The nicotine will be out of your system in 3 to 4 days and the rest of it is all habit. As I like to say, withdrawl symptoms will not kill you, but smoking will. Good luck to you both. Terry [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 700 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $105.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Gunnar and congratulations on making the decision to quit. You've come to a great place. You'll find a lot of great information and supportive members here to help you along your journey. Please post as often as you would like and browse through previous and present posts for inspiring information. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Gunnar! Congrats on your decision to quit!!! What are you going to be using for a NRT? I used Chantix and it really helped me by minimizing the extreme cravings I had on previous quit attempts!! Follow the suggestions of going through the SSC program and milestones... It really helps!! Also read posts from other members!!! Some of us have some great experience to share with fellow non-smokers!!!! When you quit, be sure to post and wait for 5 responses if you are having a real bad craving!!! By the 5th post, your craving will have gone away!!! Last but not least, I would definitely accept Stef's offer of becoming a quit buddy, as you are both quitting on the same day!!! It really helps, doesn't it PEACE???? It has really helped me knowing that someone else was going through the exact same thing on the exact same day!! We've been helping each other for 53 days now and we're having great success!!!! Soooo... Good luck and yell when you need us!!! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,325 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $218.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$44,490.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1064 Hours: 20

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello gunnar, i am quiting tomorrow too !!! let's try to help each other. :8|: i am as scared as you are but we'll succeed we have to ;p let's try a step after another steph
16 years ago 0 229 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Blue]Welcome aboard Gunnar ! This is THE place to be :) READ READ READ !!!! And post as often as you like. Without this site I would not be where I am today :) Keep close o.k.? We're all in this together ! Peace [/color] :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $477.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gunnar, Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and for coming to this site for help. Set up your quit meter and use the crave diary and tools sections of the site. The people and advice here are awesome, so read alot of posts and drink lots of ice water. Just remember N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever)!! [IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/Meg02915/prod_441_29445.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 51 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 408 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $104.65 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The fear of something is almost always worse than the actual experience. Cold turkey is very hard and isn't suitable for everybody, I myself have failed before in a cold turkey attempt, just don't let that experience tarnish your new quit. Now with your prescription, consider yourself armed against the withdrawal, it will be a slow but fulfilling process, fighting each crave and reaching new milestones. It's really great to see your mileage meter change everyday, showing everybody your achievement. I really recommend that you set yours up already. A great tip given to me was to sleep as much as possible (it really helps) Spoil yourself with nice hot baths and reward each milestone you reach. Keep your mind occupied and your hands busy, and believe me when i say that this site is amazing along with everybody here, keep reading, keep posting. You are not alone. Naomi :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/24/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �3.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Gunnar & Welcome, It's normal to feel anxious about the quit. Read the forums and thread from those who have qalked this journey before you. Do your prep work as outlined in the 'program'. You can do this; you just have to decide that it's NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) -- and that is how it gets done. I too had alot of anxiety about quitting--(losing my best friend a pack & 1/2 smoker for 30 years, high stress job & life...etc, etc, etc)--but--I am here to confirm that this can be done & truth be told it wasn't that hard most days. I wish you the best--please post often & let us know how you're doing. WOOOOOHOOOO--what a great decision you are making :) Deb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,710 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $384.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28

Reading this thread: