Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Hard to do

17 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Candycane, Welcome and hang in there, you can do this. Going to the store and stopping for gas was one of my most terrifying moments. That is where I always used to buy my smokes. So I changed gas stations and I changed where I went for groceries, at least for a couple of times. Now I can go in both places and when they ask if I want smokes, I just reply I NO LONGER SMOKE! It gets easier every time. Now the people at the gas station don't even ask me anymore. That part feels good!!!! Anyway, try changing the things that you do that you know will trigger a crave, like doing something different after meals. I started walking after dinner instead of just sitting down to relax, that was when i wanted to smoke also. Have a piece of candy next to your bed or on your dresser for when you first get up and want that first smoke. After a couple times doing that, I did not need to anymore, the trigger there was gone. Hope this helps. All of us on this site can be your buddy and help you out. Just let us know how we can help. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 838 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
candycane, Welcome and thanks for being honest with us. We are always here for support and knowledge and are not here to judge. You can do this and step by step we can help. The program is a great way to start preparing and become more involved with your healing :) Post often and let us guide you :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi candycane - and a warm welcome... Ask yourself a very, very important question... Is your desire to smoke stronger than your desire to quit? You need to know the true answer to that important question... We are all doing this one moment at a time, with support and guidance. Look at the program on the left and spend as much time as possible here reading old posts... You have to WANT THIS... and your desire to quit must be stronger than your desire to smoke... that is truth. Stay close to this site and spend every available moment reading, reading and read more... Let us know how we can support you... Love and blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 393 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,789 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1827.45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Candycane, you have a whole lot of buddies here and we're all in this together....helping each other along day by day. You are NOT going to die hooked up to a respirator. I know, that is a scary thought but, you CAN quit and you WILL heal from years of smoking. Get your Quit Date in mind and then get rid of all cigarettes and ashtrays. Make your house and car smell as smoke free as you can. I'm going to keep saying this because it really does work but drink lots and lots of water. Water helps with each craving, withdrawal symptom, and it flushes your system out. Get plenty of hard candy, gum, licorice, sunflower seeds, etc. to keep your hands and mouth busy, make a list of reasons why you want to quit smoking....writing them down really does help, avoid triggers....you know, those places, things, or times that you want to smoke. Like if you want a smoke when you drink coffee, stay away from the coffee for a time. If you have a trigger that you can't avoid, change it up some. Like if your computer is a trigger and you need to be on it, rearrange it, clean it, sit a candle on it, a candy jar, etc. Above all, stay close to this site while you're early in your quit....post a lot and read a lot. The workbook over to the left under the program tools is great and it will help you along too. You really CAN Do this. Get yourself prepared and we're here for you at all times. Stay Strong, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,978 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154.37 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tell you what....I'll go to Egypt with you if you quit smoking. You CAN do it! There are quite a few of us to prove it! Keep the quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 206 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,344 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1648 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know my health is failing. I'm tired of coughing. I start out strong and then weaken. I don't want to die hooked up to a respirator and gasping for air. I can't gas my car up because the temtation is too strong to run in and grab smokes, thinking one won't hurt but I know it will. My husband is going to gas it up for me for awhile. Next year I am going to Egypt and climbing Mt. Sinai and will never make it smoking. I need support and a buddy to talk to.

Reading this thread: