Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,674 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Support trying to help as much as possible

17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, My Name is Franki and I was doing research to find out way i can help my boyfriend in quiting smoking. He stoped because he saw how much i didnt like it and how much i cared about him and just wanted him to be healthy. Its been about 3 weeks since hes gone cold turkey from about 10 cigaretts a days. Since than hes only slipped once and had one cigarett. He's been tired and today for the first Time hes yelled and flipped out on me ( not his usual self) i understad its him just being irratable from the nickatine withdrawl, but i want to do what ever i can to help him and i was wondering if anyone could give me adivce. Or maybe something u wish u had to help or something u wish u have to help! post back or im me FrankiSpankie i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Frankie, i know how hes feeling, it is very normal, if he is really craving perhaps he can go doctors and get some NRT, this may help with the nicotine withdrawels. I have had headaches, sleepless nights and been bit snappy too, its fab you are trying to help him but i agree with the healerwithin, he needs to do it for himself too. But keep going with it, 3 weeks is really good, get him to come on here, it really helps, Donna x x
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Franki Healer is telling you the straight deal here. The fact of the matter is that no matter how much we love another human being and want them to quit...it will not happen...You certainly can and should encourage your boy friend to adopt a more healthy way of being, but at the end of the day, he must be the one to choose this way of going. You see, as addicts, we are living in a blind reality...Its hard to believe but nicotine is so strong that it bends and twists an otherwise intellegent person's perceptions. What you see from the outside is a person choking down smoke. What we see as addicts is a pleasurable experience that helps us deal with the world. That of course is a huge lie, because it does not help up at all, it actually hinders our ability to be a fully integrated personality...Nonetheless, your view of smoking is not the same as your boy friends...That is why he will not leave it behind until he makes the choice to do so... I feel for you, because I can see the situation from both perspectives and I know that you are doing and wanting a wonderful thing for your friend. The sad reality is that you can not make this happen, it is all in his hands and heart. Try to encourage him to come here and read the posts, he may see something here that strikes like Saul on the road to Damascus, lets hope and pray for that. In the mean time, be as supportive and encouraging as you can, but understand that you cannot implement this change. It is only when he comes to that quitting cross road and takes the journey on his own will he successfully leave this killer in the dust... Stay well, you are wonderful for wanting to help your friend... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,977 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $574 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try to get him to the Doctor...get some Chantix.... I am smoke free... auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,833 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $361 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just keep reading. There is a ton of information on here. Maybe your boyfriend should check out SSC. I would of never made without the support and help from everyone here. He has to want to quit more than he wants to smoke. No matter what smoking is not an option. Terri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 169 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,549 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $601.64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Franki I am in IM often during the week(not much at weekends) Find me I will help! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 221 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,644 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1160.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Franki, Welcome! Our online quit program is a great place to start. It can teach your significant other what he needs to know about quitting. Just as the members mentionned, our forums are also filled with tons of experiences, advice and other tips that your boyfriend can learn from. Show him our site. Participation is completely voluntary and all services are free of charge. Danielle ________________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there... We all have to own our quits at the end of the day, and the commitment must be ours - the quitter... I don't hear about quits that are successful IF the individual quit for another person, so hopefully he is also quitting for himself... A slip is smoking... have him come here and read if he is willing... This place is powerful and amazing, with support that can make or break a quit. Blessings - Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 377 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1753.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
At three weeks, he should be completely finished with nicotine withdrawals...those end in 3-5 days if you don't add any other nicotine in. However, at three weeks, lots of quitters have some mood swings and other kinds of issues. How can you help him? Celebrate his milestones with him...help him pick out a reward for three weeks of not smoking...tell him about support groups such as this one. Like any other addiction, he has to be the one to take the first step. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 824 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23,081 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2884 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 114 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$55,036.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 21

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: