Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Do you know what i realise - today is day 4

17 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep it up Niks. You are doing great! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $190 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey niks and tutti! You guys are doing great! Acknowledging the need to quit is the first step and actually putting them down is another HUGH step! The days do get better. Some days you crave but it is not like in the beginning. Everyone is different so don't talk yourself into craves on certain days. I experienced some cravings last week (around my 5th week) but it nothing I couldn't handle. I think it is the change of the seasons and I haven't gone through nice weather without smoking. Thoughts of sitting outside in the morning with coffee and a cig sound great. I will have to get used to not doing that, just as I have gotten used to not smoking 1st thing in the morning. Every "1st's" may trigger a crave. Enough already, stay positive and take care of your healing body. We are strong people for even attempting to change our whole lifestyle. We are worth it too! Take it one hour at a time and stay in control. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 686 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Niks. I didn't feel that bad until the 2nd week. Not trying to Jinx you or anything. I also felt a little shaky at the 30 day mark for a couple of days. Just had some "flash" cravings, one that only lasted for 5-10 miuntes and then you can make them go away. Just keep drinking water, keep coming here and reading when your craving, keep reminding yourself how GREAT your doing and for God's sake keep giving yourself a break. The cravings and quiting is hard enough, don't try and take on too much at once. REWARD yourself with something from time to time. I really got into walking outdoors in my neighborhood. Clears your mind, makes you feel fresh and keeps you from thinking about smoking...that's a REWARD to me! Your doing GREAT!!! Keep it up. Jimmy The Mick [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 41 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 710 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $266.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Heya Niks, I just answered you post on the I Slipped thread. And here you are. ha ha I'm halfway through day 4 and I have to say that the withdrawal symptoms are better as far as getting the shakes and hot flashes. (You may not have had those at all) But the cravings are starting to get worse as the day wears on. They're not quite as bad as Day 3 but I was really hoping they wouldn't be as bad as they are. Yesterday I was really scared because I kept finding posts from people as far along as 20, 30, 40 days and more who are still having cravings. In the state of mind I was in yesterday I thought, "I can't live like this from now on." But more people are telling me that the cravings fade and I have to believe that too. Maybe it's our mental and/or emotional cravings that we're both feeling on Day 4. Oh, like you, I'm going Cold Turkey. I can't use NRT's. Hugs and Let's Keep Hanging In There, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 254 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11.16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep on going Niks, nonic is right about being in jail and having the key to escape. Smoking is banned in most work places in UK so I see the poor people who still smoke walking past the window and having the last drag possible before coming back into the office smelling of cigs. They've had their 'supposed' high and after about 30 minutes they will of course need another - what a waste of time! I work oppostie someone who smokes and when I smoked she smelled of the same kind of smokey smell as me. Now that I have quit she seems to smell of a mixture of awful strong chemicals that are of course contained in cigarettes. I used to go outside too and as I held that cig in my hand I used to say how much I wished I could stop smoking - well hey, my wish has actually come true - yahoo and please keep on with your brilliant quit. luv Tilly :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 509 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �207 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
niks One thing that this journey has brought home to me is this...The mind is a very powerful purveyor of action...Much of our addiction has been a child of our own perceptions. a self-created prison, in which we are both the jailer and the prisoner. I know that you can do this, ask the jailer for the key and you can leave at any time... Good luck, that which you are doing is the most beneficial action you will ever take... nonic
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am almost at the end of day 4. Apparently nicotine stays in your body for 72 hours. I am going cold turkey - so no nictotine in my body. You know what i actually feel pretty much the same now as what i did when I had quit 3 months in. The only difference is that i believe in it. My cravings are no worse. Really neither is it any better. I dont know if that is because i have quit before, so mentally it isnt as hard - or what it is. But I am beginning to think that maybe part of my mental torture on day 4 was what i did to myself and not the withdrawal of nicotine. Can anyone else identify with this? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think I thought, well it is what i make of it. I am not going to wake up some day in the future and it is going to be great. this is it. This is all there is. This is what not smoking is like. At three months i would say i was probably the same. Maybe I didnt think about it so much - if at all. But the temptation was always there and it would pop into my head. I only wanted ONE. One is too many and a million is never enough. Tutti I am looking at your stats. Wow you smoked more than me! Well done to you. Isnt it a relief in some ways NOT to smoke. I used to smoke as soon as I got out of bed, and its a relief not to do that anymore. Someone said to me in work, i quit smoking for 23 years now, and sometimes i could murder a cigarette, but I know if I do - then that would be it. Back to square one. Ages ago if someone had said that to me, I would have gone straight to the shops and bought a packet. There is no way that I wanted to be craving for 23 years. I dont think its like that. A lot of it is mental, first few days are physical and pscyhological. For those that have just quit and maybe quit for the first time, please dont be put off by this, as maybe i dealt with the mental stuff of it, as I was off the nicotine until 5 months ago. I do realise when I very first quit it was hell, i thought i was going to go completely mental i felt like my head was going to explode. But i do now feel that perhaps as I am now back at day 5 - that i had put myself through that hell and made it far harder for myself by glorifying the cigarette and giving it more power than it deserved (it deserves none) replace it with wonderful things and celebrate your life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 128 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �37.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congradulations on day four. I do know what you mean. I think everyone is different. I think if you psych yourself up too much about quitting then that is all your going to think about. I too went cold turkey. I got a very bad chest cold in December and had a hard time breathing, so I decided I am done with the smokies, every time I have a craving I think about how well I can breath now. I love it!!!!!Good Luck to you. Ann [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,341 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $371 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Niks, You've gotten some great responses from your fellow quitters. I can only add that nicotine is an addiction. We do not control the addiction it controls us always. What we do have control over is feeding into it or not. Just like our cravings, they gain strength if we lend them our undivided attention. Congratulations on day 5! Danielle ___________________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: