Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

i have finally quit

17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you to everyone who chimed in. the last day has not been so bad. i am trying to cut back on eating,( i also have a weight problem) and my moods and depression are getting better. coming here and reading the advice and stories of what everyone else has gone through really helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 661 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
thanks for the support. after reading my post it makes me sound sorry that i quit. i am not sorry, but this feeling of depression is somewhat disconcerting. i didn't expect it.
after smoking for 35 years, i finally got the notion to stop smoking. it has been 16 days now, but i just got the urge to be able to converse with people who are going through the same thing. my wife and i are using hynosis, and the urges are still there, but the smoke really stinks and i can't have a cig. i guess thats a good thing, but it kind of makes me depressed.
Jayhawk - Congratulations on making the leap! By the time I'm replying to this, it's now been 20 days for you! KEEP GOING KEEP GOING KEEP GOING! I've struggled with some of the same issues you have -after 16 years of smoking, I quit - and I uncovered an anxiety I didn't know I had, BUT I'm looking (almost) at 2 months quit. One foot in front of the other. What is it that Riverdale Man said? 'If you're going thru hell, keep going'? I sincerely hope you are feeling better. "It is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy!" You gave yourself a marvelous gift. Keep posting, keep reading. I really think every day is easier.
  • Quit Meter

$243,613.01

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 11

Minutes: 21 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jayhawk, I hear you and I feel for you too. Everyone is right, the depression is part of quitting. I'm feeling a lot of that right now myself as I wind down Day 4 of my quit. I mean, when you were anxious you lit up, nervous you lit up, bored you lit up, angry you lit up, had a drink you lit up, coffee you lit up, you lit up after a good meal, lit up while driving,lit up while doing book work or at the computer, etc. Man, it's probably easier to list when you did NOT light up. Mind you, I'm going by my own history and what many other former smokers have said. Now we've given up that constant companion so naturally, we're going to feel like something real special is missing in our lives. You'll feel the loss for a while, I know I will too and that makes us feel depressed. We have to keep telling ourselves that the feeling of depression and "loss" will pass and we have to tell ourselves that we haven't lost a thing but we stand everything to gain. I swear, I'd never thought about that feeling of "loss" causing me to feel depressed until I came to this site and then read up on it. It adds up and it sure stands to reason. I smoked for 30 years and those things were a daily part of my life. This depression will pass. I know it will because every time I come to this site, post how I'm feeling, and read the other posts from people who've been through this, I feel stronger. Hang in there. Okay? Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 257 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11.16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 247 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jayhawk, Welcome to the group. It is nice that you are quitting together. You can give each other support besides comming here. If one of you get crabby make sure that you understand because it might be your turn in an hour. Ya it is kind of depressing after quitting. You gave up a long time habit. You feel a loss. But it is a good loss. Stay close and good luck. Jnine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 781 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $107.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jay Welcome...You are in the right place if you want to put this addiction away for good. It is a rather wild ride, but I wouldn't miss it for the world...Stay close, there are many people here who will invest in your efforts, and you will invest in theirs. It is a good example of the universal law of returns... Smoking is a learned behavior and as such will require that we unlearn the behavior by learning new behaviors...We have been living in a nicotine dream for a long long time and now we must use the power of our minds to see the lies that we have taken for reality concerning this terrible addiction... Concentrate on the good things that are happening to you as you go through the withdrawal. The pain believe it or not is actually your body joyfully healing itself... nonic
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jayhawk, Feeling depressed... normal. Try to focus on the positives of being smoke-free and the things you will be able to do as a non-smoker. Make lists of the benefits. Get yourself a reward when you hit a milestone. Turn it into a celebration of a new life -- focus on that rather than what you might think you gave up. There will be roller coaster times, and I'm no expert, but everyone says the first year, as you hit all your usual "triggers" may be like that. I just returned from a business trip, and hit several triggers in the past two days. I'm glad to be home where the triggers are mostly gone. I just bought myself a nice reward for hitting 50 days, and that really makes it worth it! Do something nice for yourself that you might have thought was impractical or you didn't "need". It makes it so worth it and SO much fun! I've never enjoyed buying myself "presents" before! Hang in there! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 792 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100.36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jayhawk and welcome, You sound like a ole vet like many of us here. Yeagh, this depression stinks and is part of the process of letting go. When we quit...we are grieving, but coming to terms with it is fantastic. We have to create a mental image...of what this habit was: a DEADLY ADDICTION :eg: YOU WILL ALSO GET ANGRY (and the funny thing is...when it hits...you'll be thinking "where on earth did this come from" Read, read, read and post often. Let us know how you are doing. We are here for each other. auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,615 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $247 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Know what you mean about the depressed feeling. We'll be alright, in fact, better than ever once we get through it. Glad to have you both. Welcome. Congratulations on the 16 days - and counting. Be sure to read some of the old posts here - they're great. And, trust your gut about what you can and cant' handle. Above all else, protect your quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 54 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 548 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41

Reading this thread: