Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,518 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

Hi Everyone

17 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for the welcome and encouragement everyone! and a big congratulations to everyone for taking this step to change their lives. I'm more and more excited about my quit date, and feeling less anxious, and reading about all the people who have gone before me and who are about to take on this endeavor themselves is really helping alot!
  • Quit Meter

$280,986.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5353 Hours: 17

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello to everyone! My name is Michelle, and I live in Humble Texas.. a northeast burb of Houston. I am 34, gonna be 35 in early march. I have 3 kids, 2 of which I am a single mom to. I have 2 daughters with me (17 and 12), and my almost 14 year old son moved in with his dad last August. I have been a 20 a day smoker for the last 23 years. I started smoking when I was 12 to be "cool" (shakes head - stupid, I know) and have been smoking every since. I am scared to death of quitting but even more scared to stay a smoker. Now that I have made the decision and choice to quit, every single cigarette I light up brings guilt... that's a good thing, it will make it all the much easier when I put out that last cigarette. I am going to have a long journey ahead of me, as most of the people I know in my personal life - smoke. When I am at work, it will not be as tough, because I am only 1 of 4 smokers at this location of about 30 people. I have alot of support here at work amongst the non-smokers. I am working the program, tracking every cigarette I smoke (most of them are due to boredom more than anything), I have made my plan for handling cravings and triggers and have pledged my commitment. Right now I am taking the small steps of changing when I smoke. Once I began tracking my smoking, it is clear that I have myself on a very set smoking schedule... even at home. I've decided to try and quit without any NRT at first, and see how it goes. My health insurance doesn't cover prescription help such as Chantix or Zyban, but if needed, I will enlist the help of gum or lozenges. I've set my date, and told everyone that I know what the date is (my kids are estatic about my quitting), and I have asked everyone to please excuse and forgive me if once I quit I become moody for a while. I have been reading here everyday since I joined, as much as I can, and everyone is very motivating to me. I feel a sense of calm and have a stronger "I can do it attitude" just from reading. I want to thank y'all for having this site, and thank everyone who is a member and all that post. This site is going to be my safe haven. Take care and see y'all on the boards as much as I can. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -11 [B]Cigarettes Not
  • Quit Meter

$280,986.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5353 Hours: 17

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 23

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Texas Ivy and welocme! Wow, I'm no expert, but I think you're going at this in the best possible way. Keep reading, keep learning about this addiction and about yourself. You will not be so afraid to quit when you have gained knowledge and made concrete plans to take your life back. This site is so full of amazing, supportive people and you will get tons of help here. Don't be afraid to ask questions and post lots. Best wishes Michelle, Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$121,036.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 964 Hours: 2

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:)Welcome Texas_Ivy10 Michelle, You are at one of the Best places to be for Support. This is the first time you've tried to Quit? We are all Ex-Smokers who have gone through what you are about to face. It's going to be hell kiddo! Smoking is an addiction worse than heroine,probably... (it's affordable and legal. You are getting prepared in the right ways and this will help you fight this thing, and don't forget we are here to help you. There is a post that I recommend you read by JACKO/1/23/07 (nicodemon lies). This post tells it like it is. Through the struggle of quitting...you will see yourself in this post during some point of your quit and experience the anxiety and anger that inevitibaly will surface. As you are struggling the first 3 days...remember that they are the worst. Take each day as it arrives as one day...down. One minute, two minutes...five minutes...this craving will pass. Try to sleep as much as possible, drink lots of water to help flush, and be good to yourself with rewards for each time to fight a crave sucessfully. Another important issue...slipping...it may happen...be honest with yourself and see it for what it is. Don't beat yourself up over it. Start again. Good luck and welcome aboard..auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,183 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $109.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, TexasIvy: Welcome aboard the nonsmoking train! You'll love it here (and you'll love the way you're about to smell, too). I can't add much more to what you've already heard, other than "ditto". You've noticed, I'm sure, that there are folks on this site at all stages of their quit and from literally all over the world. It's a wonderful group of people who take great pride in quitting smoking and truly want to help others accomplish the same wonderful goal. Keep reading, keep preparing as you have been, and keep the faith! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,347 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $864 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi texas ivy welcome to the SSC you will get lots of support her i smoked for over 30 years so if i can do it, so can you keep strong lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,388 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �368 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
  • Quit Meter

$113,530.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 8

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 11

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome aboard Texas, Your correct on being scared over quitting... it's not any easy thing to do. But if we set our minds to it, we can do it. This site is awesome! Post as often as you can, read old posts. Use the IM if you can. Print off the reasons why you want to stop, keep it close by. Review it often. We're all here for each other. Oh, and remember N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Even) Take care, Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 318 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,152 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2146.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Texas Ivy, yeah.... you are making such a great choice in your quest for recovery from this awful addiction. I bet your kids are thinking that Mom is very cool, indeed. Tomorrow is my quit day and I too used the tools and did a lot of reading. It sure is making the motivation to quit really strong. We are in the land of success and everyone has promised to help us keep our eyes on the prize. Welcome! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Texas, Welcome and it is great to see that you are preparing and cutting back! Your preparation is important and you seem to have a handle of this, good for you. If you are bored than start getting active! Walk, jog, stretch or even engage in a hobby that is just for you. Start saving that money in a jar and use this as a goal to reach or plan a trip for you and the kids. Relax time for all! We are glad that you came to us and we can help make a difference. Post often and ask questions, we are always here :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: