Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

need to stop

17 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi, i really am new at this messaging forum. need someone who is feeling the same way i am to converse with to help and stop smoking. i have smoked for 45 years and only quit once for 3 months. have tried many times and with many methods but they didnt work for me. the only thing i havent tried is chantix. anyone in my shoes that is trying chantix?
  • Quit Meter

$272,472.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5496 Hours: 5

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 158 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi beefree, as you have read already, everyone is indeed different, and has different reasons for smoking and wanting to quit. I have smoked since I was 18 and in the Air Force, quit once when my mother died, but not for very long, and it wasn't until I went for a check up and the doctor said you ready to quit? I think that is one of the important keys, ARE YOU READY? I said yes I am, he prescribed Chantix. I will recommend you ask your doctor about it. I, like Rainie, am SO ready for the quit date, SO ready to get on with it, and SO excited about what little I have discovered so far just cutting back on what I smoked, I do not regret "going for it" Phil uses WillPower, that is a good thing, and I understand the Patch works for other, and then there is the gum. What ever method you choose, stick with it and if that doesn't seem to work, talk to your doctor for a change in the plan. I will tell you this, come to this site, and read, and I dare you NOT to get charged up about the QUIT!! Good Luck, jump in here anytime, and send the old man outside,both my wife and I clean the house before moving to TN from Ohio, and I swore I would never smoke in the house again and we didn't. The fact that you have to at least get up and go out is enough to send you on your way. I must be off...... Mr. Magic
17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bee, Besides myself, there is Rainie, Mr. Magic, and JosephL that I can think of. We're all in the same boat, can't say I've smoked for 45 years cause I'm not that old yet, but have I smoked all of my adult life..YES..it's all relative and we are in the same boat. Like you we have tried and failed many times and are now trying something new. It is different from both cold turkey or Nicotine Replacement Therapy. It blocks the craving receptors in the brain so it aids in reducing cravings. I like the fact that my body is not still getting the nicotine through some NRT. It is still a lot of work and lifestyle change and commitment. Check out Chantix if you haven't already and talk to your Dr. if you think you might be interested. Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, it is huge that you have come to this board because the support here is a necessary ingredient, no matter what quit method you choose. Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 128 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
beefree, welcome to the SSC I am a 56 yr-old grandma, smoked since I was 16. Quit cold-turkey once for ten years. This is the hardest way to quit, and it's probably worse now since cigarette makers have increased the amount of nicotine in the cigarettes. Like a fool I started back at age 42 (time of stress, bad marriage & menopause setting in). I'v tried to quit several times in the past 5-6 years using everything out there but Laser Therapy. Chantix is the first product I have ever used with such success as I am having now. please read as many of the post on this site as you can, there is a ton of feed back from chantix users: Dayone,Elise,Fox_Man,freedomforme,Izzy,Jnine,JosephL,Lily_Gazer, mrmagic, Rainie The internet will give you information about it. You'll need to get the script from your Dr. The product helps level out cravings and mood swings. Read, read, read.... and...one more thing...this site has more to offer in the way of support than you can get anywhere...afterall...we All are Ex-smokers who have gone through the same thing you are about to, and who better can understand your cravings, depression, anger, anxiety, withdrawal symptoms than us? Join us, use the tools on your left, show your stats when you post so we can pat you on the back, scold you if you need it, give you a shoulder to cry on or ...just vent if you need to. Good luck and welcome :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,129 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $104.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello beefree i used the patches for about 3 weeks, than i just stopped using nrt i have been fiine since everyone is different though believing in yourself is the main thing i think lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,358 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �360 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$113,530.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6491 Hours: 7

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beefree Try a massive dose of Willpower its cheap but not easy to find some times! You cannot overdose! I smoked for 50 years and have been using Willpower for 167 days now without a slip. Seriously it is the most important element of your quit in my opinion! When you have some left over pass it on it works! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 167 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,516 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �876.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
17 years ago 0 216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree that it must come from within, but I know everyone is different and whatever works for you, run with it. I did cold turkey and can honestly say I have been NOPE for the whole time. The key for me was SMOKING WAS NOT AN OPTION. Do whatever you need to to just not smoke. If that meant in the beginning I slept for 12 hours a day or didn't go to a party then that's what I did. The gloomy period lasted about 3 months for me then the fog lifted and I found happiness again. There was a period where I thought I could never be happy again without a smoke, dumb dumb dumb!! I have never been happier. Stay strong - stay quit. D2Q [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 238 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,771 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $714 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello beefree - I didn't use chantix, so can't help there BUT I can share with you that when your desire to quit is stronger than your desire to smoke, you're ready to quit... Coping skills - learn how to take care of yourself when craves come - I learned them right here - reading old posts, asking questions, leaning on others here when I couldn't stand up for myself... I vented here - cried on this board, and just kept putting one foot in front of the other... This addiction is no different than heroin in a needle, hanging out of your arm - pretty, huh? It's a force to reckon with - and it has less power than each of us, when we are commited, grounded and ready to quit... we quit. Spend some time reading... asking questions, finding your way ....and you can do this... Many Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 323 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,324 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1501.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Beefree! Yes, as others have said I am on Chantrix and it is helping the physical stuff I think. My quit date is Thursday and I am really looking forward to getting on with it. Let me just say one thing as you take the first steps to this journey. I, don't believe for one minute that the Chantrix alone is going to get me through. I have a HUGE aresenal of things that I am ready to throw at anything that steps in my way. I have done the work on the left- and beyond. I think Chantrix will help in one way but I believe more importantly that attitude is what is going to get me through... at least get me through without killing any of my next of kin! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bee, Welcome and know that we can help you every step of the way. Our program and its tools can be beneficial to a successful quit. We are here to guide you and support you. Take the time to post and see the difference the members can make. They are where you are and can provide some assistance. There are many methods to read about. So make sure you check with your doctor to come up with a plan that is right for you :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: