Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

tIpS to stop smoking

17 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have another D: - Don't Smoke! I like the bobblehead idea, but I am a boss as well, so I don't think I'll risk the backlash! sushik [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,117 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $396 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another tip: Buy a bobblehead doll, tape a small picture of your boss' face over it and smack it with a pencil from time to time. Navigator p.s. Don't let your boss see the doll. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 573 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another tip: Buy a bobblehead doll, tap a small picture of your boss' face over it and smack it with a pencil from time to time. Navigator p.s. Don't let your boss see the doll. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 573 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $100.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You cant go far wrong if you follow the four Ds Drink water. With crushed ice if possible, to help flush the nicotine and other chemicals out of your system faster. This also satisfies the oral craving for awhile. Try using a straw � the same diameter as the cigarette. Deep breathing. This is good for you, as most people do not utilize their full lung capacity. Take 10 deep breaths, and hold the last one while lighting a match. Exhale slowly, and blow out the match. Take a Deep Breath Break instead of a cigarette break. Delay. Each day, delay lighting your first cigarette by one hour. After the first cigarette, when you have your next craving to smoke, delay for another 15 minutes or half an hour. Remember, as a smoker you were not in control of your habit; you smoked when your body needed nicotine. Now by delaying, you are calling the shots, you are in control of when you say NO. Do something different. Don't smoke when you first experience a craving. Wait several minutes, and during this time change your activity or talk to someone. Get out of the situation that makes you want to smoke. For example, if you smoke after dinner, get up from the table and do the dishes, or go for a walk. Change the habit or activity that you normally do while smoking. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 442 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �127.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 299 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
1. Throw away cigarettes, lighters, and hide ash trays. 2. Spend time in places where smoking is not allowed such as library, movies. 3. Change old habits. Find new interests and activities that are fun and satisfying. 4. Drink 8 glasses of water a day. This helps flush out the nicotine in your body. 5. Keep celery, sugarless gum, straws, or toothpicks handy to help meet the urge for something in your mouth. 6. Learn to relax. Try deep breathing exercises and listen to relaxation tapes. 7. List 5 reasons why you want to be a non-smoker and read them every day. 8. Start a regular exercise program. 9. Tell a family member or friend about your plan to be a non-smoker. Get support from them. 10. Get involved in a stop smoking group. The American Lung Association, American Heart Association, Cancer Society, and stopsmokingcenter.net.
  • Quit Meter

$16,439.17

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 903 Hours: 12

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you Josie. It was an inspiration to me. I was looking for Carbon Monoxide and how it affects your blood and its nasty what it does to your blood. It basically renders it useless and KILLS it! ACK!#$!@# 10% of your blood is always dying as a smoker becuase of ciggs.. bleh!!
  • Quit Meter

$16,439.17

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

You know sushik, I think you are right, not smoking is a GREAT way to become a non smoker and stop smoking. In fact, not smoking is a 100% way to not smoke :) I quit smoking on July 6, 2006 at 6:00pm. It has been 1 week, 19 hours, 55 minutes, and 26 seconds since I quit. Had I not quit smoking, I would have: * Smoked 157 cigarettes (That's like smoking a 52 foot long cigarette) * Spent $33.51 on cigarettes * Inhaled 1.57 grams of tar * Inhaled 125 mg of nicotine (That's like doing 2,349 hits of nicotine) * Inhaled 1.72 grams of carbon monoxide * Taken an additional 23 hours, 10 minutes, and 18 seconds off my life
  • Quit Meter

$16,439.17

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

HI! I quit smoking on July 6, 2006 at 6:00pm. It has been 1 week, 17 hours, 12 minutes, and 23 seconds since I quit. Had I not quit smoking, I would have: * Smoked 154 cigarettes (That's like smoking a 51 foot long cigarette) * Spent $33.03 on cigarettes * Inhaled 1.54 grams of tar * Inhaled 123 mg of nicotine (That's like doing 2,315 hits of nicotine) * Inhaled 1.70 grams of carbon monoxide * Taken an additional 22 hours, 50 minutes, and 12 seconds off my life
  • Quit Meter

$16,439.17

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Set goals/rewards to look forward to!! I love rewards and presents, and I have had many!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 434 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,868 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jer, This is a great thread and can really be of assistance to all members throughout their journey! Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: