Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,788 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Fed up with failing

18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I'm not a heavy smoker, so have managed to hide my smoking from my children most the time. However, I smoked in front of my son last night during a very stressful football match on T.V. Waking up this morning I was ashamed of my behaviour, and angry with myself for having set such a bad example. He's a talented sportsman, and it would break my heart if he started to smoke ( he's 12 now, and one or two of his peer group at school are experimenting) I've always convinced myself that because I can go a few days without a cigarette I am not addicted. However, its been 24 years since I managed a week without a ciggie, so who am I kidding? What staggers me is that a reasonably bright bloke like myself, with a wonderful wife and 3 children (6 months, 7, and 12), continues to run the risk of developing lung cancer and all other smoking related illnesses, for just a few minutes of self gratification. Anyhow, the Soccer World Cup is just round the corner, and I'm sure I'll watch a couple of games in a bar with my smoker mates, but it would be nice to do it without cigarettes. To be honest, 1 day without a cigarette, and I'm already giving myself little excuses not to bother trying to quit til after the tournament, as it will be too difficult. Incredible how the addictive side of us tries to rationalise things, isn't it? So this evening I'm going to tell the family I'm quitting for good, and about this website, and give it my best shot.
  • Quit Meter

$272,814.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8437 Hours: 17

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Markboy. Everyone here knows how frustrating it can be to quit and stay quit. We will all be here every step of the way for you. Use the 'Quit Program Tools', post often and stay positive. You can do it! X-Smoker's Glove Compartment Todays Date: 5/18/2006 My Milage: My Quit Date: 5/13/2006 Smoke-Free Days: 5 Cigarettes Not Smoked: 164 Amount Saved: $20 Life Gained: Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 5 Seconds: 54
  • Quit Meter

$54,562.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5962 Hours: 19

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome & Good Luck! You have come to the right place for sure! There is always someone here to quickly offer a helping hand or a word of encouragment! Stay close and stay strong! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 69 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Markyboy! [b][color=Brown]WELCOME[/b][/color] to the SSC! We are all here to support and guide you on your journey! Please take the time to complete the tools to the left. They are very helpful! Being addicts, we all had and have our excuses to smoke. Funny how we talk ourselves out of quitting all of the time. (ie: I love smoking; I am too stressed out; I'm with other smokers; I'm too weak; After this one.........) There is no perfect time to quit, except now. There will always stressful times in our lives, but now you will have to find another way to get through them. That's where the tools here come in! [b][color=Red]Once you desire to Not smoke outweighs your desire to smoke, you will quit.[/b][/color] Take care, and let us know how it is going! ;) 4my2girls [b][font=Tahoma][color=Purple]What Consumes Your Thoughts Controls Your Life [/b][/font][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,235 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $241.98 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
markyboy - welcome! This Quit journey is one hell of a journey. It has been the toughest thing I have ever had to deal with as so many have said of their Quits. Stay close, make a list of all the reasons you are ready to stop this addiction, and do the program tools on the left. It is so tough... and you can do this. We are here to help you. Read as much as you can here - new posts, old posts. There is a powerful amount of info that will support you and keep you focused. Let us know how you're doing. Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,621 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $344.1 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 962 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi markyboy - Sounds like an exciting time with the World Cup coming up. Your reasons to quit smoking are just about the best ones that there is. Your Family, your wife and your children. The day I caught my 18 year old son smoking was the day that my heart broke because I had set a horrible example for him. He is an awesome soccer player and has played for years - but he has sports induced asthma. Did I contribute to this condition? - no doubt about it - second hand smoke around your children is worse than smoking yourself. Your children are so young and they totally look up to you to teach them by example how to live their lives. So enough said - Welcome to the SSC!!!! Coming here will probably rate right up there with the best decisions of your life. Work the Quit Program Notebook on the left, drink plenty of water, have some handy hard candy or straws and hold on for a wild ride! And when you feel like having a cig - just come here and post for help! Take Care and I'll be on the lookout for you. Island Girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 869 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $172 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$1,705,087.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5867 Hours: 2

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marky, Welcome to SSC, you have found a site that will be here for you 24-7, anytime you need help or just ask a question all you have to do is post. Yes Marky, cig's are very addictive. I have read on this board they are more addictive than heroin or cocaine. I know that is so hard to believe. This journey is not easy, but it is doable if you are determined and make a commitment to do it.. I believe you are ready to do this. Thank God for children, they can lead the way sometimes. I believe you have such a fear of your 12 year old smoking. So do all you can to set a good example for him and your other children. I look forward to your posts, until then prepare yourself for your quit. Be blessed, SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 131 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,243 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $458.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$230,186.81

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6403 Hours: 22

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 427 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on finding this site. If you want support to stop smoking you have come to the right place. There are tools to the left to help you determine if you are ready to stop and if so some methods for managing cravings and smoking triggers. Come around often and post and read others posts. Good Luck, StuBow [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 311 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $48 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$25,357.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 643 Hours: 13

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 172 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Marky, Welcome to the site and the forums! Congratulations on your decision to kick smokes to the curb. I hope you visit here often, read the other posts and stories, questions and answers and post some of your own. We're all here to help each other achieve success in living without cigs. Strength to you. Carpepax :| [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 96 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111.65 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marky, Sounds like you are doing this for all the right reasons and are pretty self-aware. If you throw in a positive attitude and a bit of excitement about the freedom of being a non-smoker - you are already there! Let all of the things you described about setting an example for your kids and continuing to risk your health be your motivation during the hard times. When your resolve weakens grab a photo of one or all the kids and remember why you are doing this. Also, poke around here to get an idea of what to expect during these first couple weeks. You can do this. Stay strong, Sandra [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 651 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,032 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2929.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$37,329.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 645 Hours: 16

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: