Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,534 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

sleep apnea

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cinn026, When you first quit or cut down, you may find it difficult to sleep as long as you used to. Two things can cause this are: As a smoker your sleep may have been interrupted by constant coughing and/or difficulty breathing. When you stop smoking, your body gets healthier and the sleep you get is more restful. So if you wake up suddenly at 5:00 a.m., you may think you are a victim of insomnia. You're probably not! Your body has probably had all the sleep it needs. Smoking drains your body's energy. When you quit smoking you regain this energy. You may need fewer hours of sleep. How long will this last? The first few weeks after quitting. Tips to help: Try making sure you have a regular sleeping schedule. If you wake up in the middle of the night do some light stretches, or read a book to help you get to sleep. If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. It�s possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable. Take Care, Melanie ______________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi cinn026! I posted this question the other day as well! I had never had this before, and then when I quitt, all of a sudden I wake up having to take a breath. It happens during the day too, when I am engrossed in something. I feel like I forgot to breath. It happens when I take a nap, and listening to my headphones, etc..... I know I am playing with fire, but since I have no health ins. I cannot go the doc. I was hoping this would fade away. I guess I have no choice though. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 230 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35.97 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
has anyone had any sleep disorders since they quite i am going to the doctors today i have been waking up out of a dead sleep trying to catch my breath! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $294 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
18 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks every one yep went to the dr sleep apnea yeah! but your right he said the best thing i could have done for myself was to quite smoking. Which is so funny every one at work kept saying why dont you just start smoking again it not worth the side effects (misery loves company) they are wrong it is well worth it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,057 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $300 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have had trouble sleeping and trouble staying awake, it does settle down after awhile but go to the Dr if you have a concern about it. Better safe than sorry. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 328 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,570 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2460 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
18 years ago 0 407 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have sleep apnea. It has not worsened or lightened up since I quit the junk. Do go have it checks though. The CPAP device they might prescibe is a little hard to get used to, but it will improve your standard of living. Combine that with the absence of tobacco and you are really gaining on a more peaceful life. Hang Tuff now and do not puff. Lindsey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/10/2001 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1647 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 98,850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16470 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 339 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$122,623.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8384 Hours: 15

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: