Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

My Quit

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kitten,

You can find it in the support group options.  Make sure you fill out the calender in your personal profile and check the box " add quit meter to my posts"

Let us know if you have any problems!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear All where do i find this quit meter you all have?
12 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jdoe : ) So glad you checked in  - Showing up here is a good way to know that you're serious about making this Quit happen!  Pick your time - sometimes you get a 'Bolt from the Blue' and know it's your time to quit  . . . or you may just wake up one morning and not have as strong a craving as usual . . . so you can take that as a sign it's a good time to cut back - or throw out the rest of that pack!   : ) 
12 years ago 0 35 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Eyja for your kind words and for sharing your tips with me..I haven't quit yet but I am still working on it.

jdoe...
Thank you Bill for all or your support and advice..I am still working on my quit...

jdoe..

Hi jdoe : )  Thanks for your kind words in return!  I'm glad to share some tips that helped me cope with my own triggers that derailed my previous Quits. I really hope they help you too! Not sure if you checked out Allen Carr's 'Easy way to quit smoking" book yet? It may help you with your fear that 'it is too late for you now'.  

You know Allen Carr died of a smoking related disease, but, he believed that he lived much longer than he would have, had he not come to his senses and quit when he did!  He said that his last 23 smoke free years were the best years of his life!  So you see, no matter what, it's never too late to quit! 

I agree with Willis too, that the smoke that helped you 'fit in', cope, enjoy yourself, feel smart or be cool actually did nothing of the kind!  You simply believed the cigarette had the power to do these things. But it's just a little cancer stick that didn't help you do anything - it was you who managed to work through every one of your situations, no credit to the cigarettes at all.  

So if you’re cranky and/or people don’t understand what you’re trying to achieve, then maybe you can give them a bit of a heads up on your quit plan and warn them to stay out of your way for a few weeks! I also asked my kids to forgive me when I snapped at them - so we all just blamed Nicodemon! After 7 months, I’m not so cranky with very few thoughts of smoking entering my mind! So it gets better  : )  

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jdoe, Let me add this. We have to guard against fixating on a cigarette. After we are successfully off cigarettes for awhile we start thinking how great a cigarette would be. We forget all the hundreds and hundreds of crappy garbage cigarettes we smoked and fixate on the one good one we may have had. There is no good one without all the crappy garbage ones. Smoking is a package deal . All or nothing. All the ash trays, all the burned clothes, all the stink. Thinking of the one good one is a fantasy.

Your Friend,
Bill
Good Morning Eyja,,

I want to thank you for your wise and heart felt words..I got to thinking about what you said about me not being my addiction..I had never thought about this before..and yes It is ok to have feeling and emotions and to feel them and I am going to have to let them come instead of covering them up in a cloud of smoke. There with be those that will have trouble with this but my feeling and emotions are valid and sometimes as person just has to speak up when they don't agree or like what is going on and other times it is better to take a deep breath distract yourself with something else for a while..

I like your idea of deflecting my craving until I can cool off...This is something I am going to have to give more thought to..My first reaction is to say some deep breathing exercises would be of help to me in these situations and also some reflection and prayer.." To tell myself I am not my addiction..I can handle these emotions and cravings for a tiny moment longer..These feeling will pass.." To let myself feel them and then let go of them...

Lots to think about..Thanks Eyja for helping me through this and giving me something constructive to think about..

You are a very dear person,,who has been there...and is welling to share your experience with others..
I am so lucky that you are here, and very grateful too..

jdoe.....

Hey jdoe;  I agree with Vincenza; Your honesty is wonderful! I know how difficult (heart wrenching even) it is to come back here after a relapse and 'fess' up to the bitter truth by posting it in black & white for all to see. It feels awful! But there's something cathartic about it too. See what you learned? In your own words, you identified how you've coped with your emotions for most of your life - Smoking as a distraction! It gives you something to do while you stew in your anger/tears/stress/joy or whatever the trigger is that sends you back to NicoDemon whenever you try to quit. Of course, good old guilt gets ya every time at this point, in case the above triggers don’t cover it! 

You mention you'd like to "grow up quit smoking and get on with your life".  But please don't forget the YOU are NOT your addiction!  Smoking is just a (default) habit that you can change! I'm willing to bet that you have completely legitimate reasons for any & all of your feelings! It's so important to acknowledge them, and you've done that here today.  Good for you : )

Can you think of some ways to steer clear of your emotional 'smokin gun' or default habit button?  Is there any way to deflect that craving just for that (tiny) minute longer so you can cool off & realize you really don't need that smoke to get through the emotion after all?   We're with you jdoe.  You’ve done it before & you can do it again : )  Remember to be to kind to yourself too; you deserve it : ) Eyja

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi jdoe,

We're always here to listen.  Thanks for posting and being honest with yourself and your SSC support group.  Try not to be overwhelmed or discouraged, instead look ahead and don't give up!
You may want to read through the 'Emergency Coping Plan' in the Tools section of the website which can help if you feel the temptation to smoke is too strong. 
Learning to better manage anger is also a good idea since you realize it is your biggest obstacle in achieving your goals.  It is one other step in your journey to better health and we are here to help you through it.

Be well, 

Vincenza, Health Educator

Reading this thread: