Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

low self esteem

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, You just keep and protect your quit. Your loved ones will endure. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 456 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, Forgive me if you don't see the humor but you are cracking me up!! Have you wondered what your dogs are saying about you behind your back? No more dog bowls, throw it on the floor. No more walks, pee on the pad. "Hey Gruff, what's up with her?" Maybe if you take a step back you can give yourself a good, well deserved chuckle. :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 452 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jih53179 that's a ditto...on getting some help ASAP You have all the good reasons to be feeling wonderful now unless that ugly phase of womanhood is approaching (menopause), in which case the blues can insue...but see the Doctor and express your sadness and paranoia... They keep telling us on TV that depression hurts...and that there is help for it. They also tell us that smoking causes all these horrible diseases and that we shouldn't smoke... so...OK...we are NON-SMOKERS....NOW...WHAT? CRY FOR HELP LOUD AND CLEAR (the squeaky wheel gets the grease) and keep us posted to how you are coping..."and above all keep the Quit" everyone here respects and admires your courage and determination to not give up or give in. auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,838 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $171 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jlh: PLEASE, please contact your doctor. You should be absolutely elated about being a nonsmoker for 6 months. You've gotten SO healthy physically, but obviously your emotional and mental well-being is just as important. Smoking can indeed mask underlying problems, so it's no big deal to have your doctor take a look at anxiety and how to combat it. You'll truly feel better when you do. Congratulations on a great 6 months. Keep us posted, would you? Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 121 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,868 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $968 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit more than 6 months ago and have drastically improved my physical health. I have been running about 2 miles every day for the last few months. (Before I quit I couldn't even climb stairs without losing my breath). However, my mental health has severely worsened. I can't tell if it's the new body image that's putting additional pressure on me mentally or not, (I have gone from a size 7 to a size 3 from running, I should be happy about that) but I have become a completely insecure person, with no self esteem since I quit smoking. I am convinced my boyfriend will cheat on me, I crave approval, I'm terrifed I will get fired at work, etc. I have turned into a pathetic person that I don't even recognize. I've never been this way and don't know how to fix it. I can almost pinpoint the exact day this started, and it was right at the time I quit smoking. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks everyone! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 209 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,192 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $836 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. A lot of what you all said made so much sense- it sounds like I am not the only one that has had these exact problems. It's just so hard for me to suck it up and go to a therpist, you know? I've never bought into the whole depression/ low self esteem thing because I always thought it was something I could dig deep down and fiz on my own. But having quit smoking and seeing what it's done to me mentally, I see I have no other choice. Thank you all for that extra push I needed. I will make an appointment soon. My love to you all! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 224 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,489 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $896 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dearest jlh, So sorry to hear you're not feeling great about yourself, because you should do!! You're amazing!! You've quit smoking, you've lost weight, you now run 2 miles every day. This is quite an achievement. If this doesn't make you feel positive about yourself, it sounds to me like you could do with some help to kick-start the positivity!! Whether this comes from a doctor, a nutritionist, a homeopath, is up to you. Get some advice, you deserve to feel on top of the world with your wonderful achievements. Let us know how you get on, love. Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 190 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,858 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �570 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lady, You've done very well. Not all quits are determined in a matter of months. Know that it takes strength and courage to come out on top and it is obvious that you have done just that. The length of time varies between individuals and circumstances. Hat's off to you Lady.
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jlh, It could be that you've always had a problem with self-esteem and losing the weight didn't help to make it better. The low self-esteem is still there but it's now taken a different focus, something else you have to change about yourself. It may also be that smoking boosted your mood so it was able to cover up some of these feelings. We recommend you seek the professional assistance of counsellor or your physician to help you work through these issues. Congratulations on 6 months! We are very proud of you! You've made such great strides in your physical conditionning. 2 miles a day is also an amazing accomplishment! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too expierenced what you explained. I was expierencing a little bit here and there for a while. It wasn't until I was past 6 months quit that I got help. Although I had a few different symptoms from you, I was put on anti-depressants. If I hadn't finally got the help I needed, I would have definately walked out on my husband and kids, as well as my quit. I just wanted to be alone, all alone..... My point being is, depression has many faces. What you are expierencing could be one of them. Only your doctor can help! I truely advise you to make an appt right away, and discuss your feelings with your doctor. Had I listened to everyone telling me that, I could have saved quite a few hysterical, and scarey moments. All in all, just like everyone said, smoking does mask our feelings. And quitting smoking isn't about just not smoking anymore. It comes with so many other things, and you may just be expeirencing one of them. Discovering new things about yourself, whether good or bad, is quite scarey. You are now a new person, and one you do not reconize.. Take good care of yourself. Writing in a journal can help. Be extra kind and gentle to yourself right now. Put yourself first, and take a little bit of time everyday to find something good in YOU. But first off, go see the doc. At least to rule things out......... 4my2girls [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 339 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,189 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1108.53 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52

Reading this thread: