Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

What have you learned?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.759 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,772 Members

Please welcome our newest members: A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151

I have a question

17 years ago 0 457 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just typed out a long response to Grace, and got a freeking 404!! Do you beleive that!? I don't know why i don't clipboard everything I type. I will be on the messenger in a little while. I am on dial up and fighting to print labels for my business and my printer is dying. It keeps telling me to please load the paper in the auto sheet feader, and I keep telling to take the *&%^$ paper from the auto sheet feader!! So, give me some time to be done, and I ill fire that thing up and Princess, we can exchange e-mails and all of that when you get off of work - OK? I already have you on my list. If I have to go before you can get on, then we'll just meet up tomorrow or something. Let me know a good time? I'm on Pacific time. Rob.. Thank you. I really neaded to hear that. I had just typed before that I don't think lying is just, right or moral in any circumstance at all. Not even to ease the fear of someone who is considering stopping smoking. I just read on another thread that someone told a frightened person that the physical withdrawals would be over after 3 days. Even with the best of circumstances, that's a lie, and it's not nice, and it angers me, and it's taking everything I have to not go in that thread and tell that person how wrong that is. I don't dig that mentality at all, and I just want to thank you all for being honest with me. I do NOT like suprises, and I read all over the place that the craves were all over in the first week, and all you have after that is urges. I also read that the physical withdrawals barely lingered with weepyness in the third week, but it got better all the time. One site said that if the withdrawals seemed to last longer than that, then there is something physically wrong with you, and to go to the doctor. I even read on one place that if the depression lasts past the three week mark, then you are at risk of having a stroke. I feel worse now than I did the day I quit, and I think that it should be policy to let people know that it is possible that they will experience this - especially us heavy smokers. Instead we sit here wondering what in the world is wrong with us, and the doctor can't get us in for a couple more weeks and so we just worry - which adds to the pain, and why is that OK?
Katy - you know it! I am learning to walk and talk again. Starting over from day one. You want to know a very frightening thought? I do not know who I am without smoking. Everything that i knew about myself, i knew as a smoker. I came out of puberty, got married - twice, had five babies, and dealt with the death of a parent, and the abuse of my first husband.. all as a smoker, and with almost nill other coping mechanisms. I have never been and adult that was a non smoker. i have never dealt with an issue without lighting up. I have never experienced joy without lighting up. By the way, on the subject of joy ... for Jojo and any other new people who might be reading. The Joy that I am experiencing is just as intense as the fear and anger. i have had laughter that made my sides hurt because it was so hearty.. i never had laughter like that as a smoker. It's not all bad. My marriage has gone through serious turmoil.. you know, when I went through some of the worse times in my life, I didn't only find things that i didn't know in myself - I found plenty of things in him. I'd say he's grown as much as I have in this quit. Our marriage has finally come around to a place where I am comfortable in it again. Most of my friends and acquaintances are gone, and no longer even speaking to me. I stood up to the bully that works for my landlord, and expect to be evicted. i put us in the poor house with my rewards program and thus learned that i have a pretty well developed inner brat who thinks she can spend spend spend, and I dunno if we're even gonna make it. I have to rework my spending, my budget, my anger, my coping, my assertiveness, and the way that i handle my children. Everything has changed. Don't worry though guys.. i have had soem intense craves - the latest was this last sunday. But, i'm not smoking. Luckily, i had begun making the changes in my life prior to quitting, and being a smoker didn't fit with the woman that I eveloving into. It still doesn't. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,422 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $572 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
LOL @ Marie Hi Jojo! You know, it's funny that I saw this here this morning because I was just coming in here after surviving a night from hell. It was one of those very tense, on again and off again sort of sleeps that doesn't really count as sleep and each time you wake up, you wish it was morning? Yesterday sucked really hard. it built up all day long. I started feeling anxious, and then that escalated to a full blown melt down by the end of the night. After 6 weeks, i am questioning whether this was a crave episode or if there is soemthing seriously wrong with me. Thing is - it felt very much like what I went through when i posted thsi thread, only it didn't seem to last as long. I have had anxiety and panick disorder before, and while the anxiety that i felt early on in the day felt the same, the melt down was not a panick attack. It probably looked like one, but it was not one. It felt just like the days that i had earlier on with the intense craves and everything. Wow - i'm glad that i wrote that out - I feel better now because now I am almost certain that it is quit related. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 42 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,328 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $546 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jojo, Welcome to the SSC, why dont you start a new post in Introduce yourself, tell us a bit about yourself - how long you have been smoking, are you using NRTs (nicotine replacement therapy) or cold turkey? We will do anything we can to help you beat this addiction, we are very supportive and friendly. Have you set a quit date? Has your child started smoking? I found out today my 14 year old nephew started smoking a few months ago so i would be interested on what other members advise in this kind of situation. Do you have any questions, any fears? PrincessC :) x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 961 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $489.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
Hey Jojo, Way to go, make sure you have all your coping mechanisims ready. We are all here for you ready to help you through. You CAN do this. PrincessC :) x
Hey Mistymoon, I dont focus on these but i DO still have cravings. Some days i dont at all somedays i dont really think about it but then i have days i do. Im not feeling 100% today and really should be in bed asleep but have to work. lol if you knew what i did you would be like ahhh i think you should go home!! I cant get on IM at work, i would love to get your email address tho. Just to hear your take on it. I choose not to write on here how my body is reacting to ridding itself of its toxins. I can say i am re-training my thought process on smoking related events. (im a very analytical thinker - i like to know how something works i analyze everything lol, up side is im brilliant doing puzzles and family tree's haha) anywho, My need, my want, my desire to be quit is soooo much stronger than that part of my brain trying to tell me i need to smoke. My want to quit is a mountain, my need to smoke is a pebble. My mountain crushes that pebble and the dust created makes my mountain bigger, more powerful and stronger ready for the next pebble to come along. Get it figured in your head, however it makes sence to your thought process once you have that you have it made. You really do have to remember that you were a three pack a day smoker and your body WILL be ridding itself of its toxins. It wasnt only nicotine that your body was acustomed to it was those 4,000 other chemicals as well. You really are where you need to be right now. lol umm did i answer your question??? sighs, i really need to go home. PrincessC :) x :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 618 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Misty Moon deep breaths..first congrats on your stats. Ok nicotine is gone from your body for sure if you didn't use NRT. You can not beat such a long time habit in 24 days. Your body is missing rewards that it got from a nicotine fix. You have to reward it in other ways, everyday. Now of course you're healthier than when you smoked it's just not visible yet to you. Your skin is probably healthier right now. If you had your lungs tested you would know the difference. You are under stress right now and can't see the light at the end of the scary tunnel, people go through this in different ways every individual is different nobody lied about their quit, it's just different. I as well went through this, after three weeks feeling so bad. I drank and drank water I chewed cinnamon gum, chewed on straws ate mints and worked worked till I fell asleep exhausted and thanked god I got through another day, and that's how it's done one day at a time. Now I am doing much better, I still have cravings but nothing compared to what you're going through now. Do breathing exercises to control the stress, take a long bubble bath, have a good night sleep, and don't give up it will get better. Hope this helps a little you have come so far already. Good vibes :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 885 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $236 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
bump [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $304 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
I wanted to bump Riverdaleman's post and I bumped into everything clumsy me, blame it on the quit, well all of it is informative so read on :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $304 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Misty. Its as painful as you make it, most of it should be in the mind now. Thought processes. Word association. Say I have a drink - I want to smoke If i eat a nice meal I want to smoke If I go out I want to smoke But its just a thought distract yourself it soon goes away. What you need to learn to do now is to find new associations. How long did it take you to learn to smoke all day every day? Was it three weeks? I bet it was longer - so why would it take less time to unlearn it? You are doing well = and its normal. If you are waiting for this magic day to feel better, you will be disappointed. This IS it!!! It gets easier over time - because over time you learn new habits. (when I get in my car to drive from work I dont smoke - and I am used to that now) but i had to learn it. I am at 60 days now, I still think about smoking. Sometimes. But it gets less and less time apart and it gets easier. Its a journey but its worth it. You need to LEARN to live without smoking - just like you learned to live WITH it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 60 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,504 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �450 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13

Reading this thread: