Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

questioning my quit

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ArwensMom, As you quit smoking you can experience an uncomfortable cough. You can start to cough up black/brown mucous. What is happening is that your body�s Cilia (which are tiny hair-like particles that line your lungs) are in a healing process. They are first paralyzed and your body does not want to produce any mucus, therefore a dry cough sets in. As the cilia begin to heal themselves they start to clean all areas of your lungs. This is where you start to cough up all that awful mucus. These symptoms can last day or weeks after you quit smoking. The healing is a long process of change, even though some of the benefits come more quickly than others. Try drinking more water, herbal tea and even cough drops or candy. If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. It�s possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable. Take Care, Melanie __________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is so funny to read these posts. Until I came here I thought I was the only nut that felt this way. I would have this conversation in my head.I was sad and depressed and missed my cigarettes. But then I would yell at myself and think what kind of friend do I miss. One that is gonna make me deathly ill one day, possible take my life too early, take a good amount of my money, make me smell, make me a social outcast, and make me a prisoner. So when you think of it logically you would have to say why would I want this filthy thing. Because now I know it is an ADDICTION. I tell my child yes honey it is very bad for you and yes it kills so please never do this. But mom why dont u quit. because its too hard of an addiction. What is that saying to your child. Dont quit something because its too hard. I love the cigarette more then you. WE chose to bring them into this world to teach them right and wrong and keep them safe. when you think of it this way. Why do we smoke!!!!!!!!!!!! Mind you I too still miss them and want them. But I want to live too. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 580 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
VA Smurfie- I just had to get in on this conversation. I am having the very same feelings! I feel as if I have lost my best friend - the one who comforts me when I'm sad and celebrates with me when I'm happy. Once my girls are in school and I am alone, I really miss my "friend" who used to keep me company during the day. I feel a little lonely also and down sometimes. Kind of like I'm grieving. Only ex-smokers can understand this. The only thing that keeps me from inviting my long lost "friend" over to visit is that I think about my daughters and how I want to see them grow up! That is the thought that keeps me motivated. I'm sure everyone you can think of something that may help you stay motivated too. You are not alone in your feelings. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 102 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said, it is absolutely bizarre that we question why we would want to be healthy again just for the sake of a few weeks or months of discomfort. We have all probably been through longer 'tortures' for the sake of a career, a pastime or for love yet we cannot do it to save our lives!! Yes folks, this is a very strong addiction we are all recovering from. But if we can focus on the positives and remember that the 'pain and suffering' is for a relatively short period then we can all get through this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 517 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �107.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm on day 5 and I question it too. Is all this suffering worth it? I just talked to my boyfriend about it (we quit together) and he has no questions. He explained it to me this way. "You didn't have a doctor bending over you asking if you wanted your legs taken off today, or in 30 days" I guess he's never going to have to question. Smoking has caused me terrible problems. I had pneumonia a year ago, and I smoked then. I couldn't breathe, but I could still smoke. It left me with bronchial pain when I took a deep breath and a terrible terrible cough. In the mornings I would cough up a cup of fluid! I would cough solid for over 1/2 an hour! I could never sleep late because I'd wake up coughing at 5am. I made up so many excuses for my cough it got silly. I would stand outside the shop, smoking AND coughing! Sometimes, a couple of times, I coughed so hard that I couldn't inhale. I'd almost pass out. I STILL question whether or not quitting is best for me.
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Melanie, thanks for the info. I haven't been coughing up ANY mucous. Which is GREAT because I used to cough up a half cupful (or more) every day in the mornings alone. The first morning I woke up without a cough was day 3. Just sos you know how crazy cigarettes can make me, I woke up at 4am and didn't cough and I laid in bed for an HOUR and waited for that coughing spasm to start. I couldn't believe I didn't cough. I'm still getting used to it. Another thing is that I always used to sleep with my mouth open as if I couldn't get enough air in my sleep. I'd wake up during the night totally dry all the way down my throat. I kept a water bottle by the bed because I'd wake up so many time so dry. My lips and the inside of my mouth got so dry that I had cracking and some bleeding. That's gone away. What's utterly stupid of me is that despite all of this, I still want a cigarette and still want to explain away the cessation of symptoms.
18 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just feel so ALONE today. :(
Hi all. Today I've started questioning my quit. I am still smoke free but am starting to wonder if it is REALLY worth it. Is this normal?? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 290 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $49 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
It WAS 2 weeks until I screwed up yesterday. I'm now back to day 1. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 32 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
18 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
As long as you are here at SSC you are not alone I will hold your hand for as long as you need to get thru the battle you are having with yourself. That peice of yourself that you are missing is just that nicdemon you have carried around it took me all weekend to figure that one out for myself Keep up the good quit and remember how proud of you I am of you polly [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 447 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $59.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: