Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Seasonal triggers

12 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Willisv56!  It happens to all of us! That darn nicodemon is forever sitting on our shoulder, waiting for a moment of weakness, to pounce on us with a craving to make us give in. And yes he tries to do it every season ( for the first year). Know what? YOU proved tthat you are strong enough to kick him to the curb! Being the addicts that we are, there will always be some trigger to send us a craving, but after being on this path for a while, we know better and when we know better, we DO better. 
The one thing we sometimes forget is that quitting smoking is a choice every single day. We chose this path and we chose to take back our health and our lives from that awful addiction. We chose freedom, we chose to be able to breathe and to live longer! We chose our health over a deadly posion, and we are winning! So pat yourself on the back - You are a winner, taking it one day at a time!
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Eyja and Ron it is good to know this has happened to you. Considering your stats, I must be on the right path !

William - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Six Days, 18 Hours and 17 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 30 Days and 5 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8707 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $3,958.33.
12 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes we call that the 8 month lull.  You've quit, you've done it, things have been great, you have worked so hard to keep the quit.
But now that the party has worn off a bit things start to feel a little too normal, maybe even boring.  Anyway that's what happened to me.
Time for a little more excitement by digging in a create a little 8 mo. reward for yourself.  Maybe do something a little out of the ordinary.
You know we past smokers do kind of miss living on the edge and it takes a little time to go away.  It does pass when you get close to the year mark and the excitement will return.  
Hang in there an keep on smiling at ol' Nic because he coming back through that door.
Ron 
12 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmmm! What the hay Willis?  You know 'tis the eve of Halloween - maybe it was just a ' trick or treat'  test!  So glad you realized it was 'ol nic just checking to see if you would falter.  But we got that junkie thinking pegged and won't fall for the seasonal triggers this time!  So glad you caught it, acknowledged the trigger and kept your wonderful 8 month + quit intact! Good for you : )  Keep it up. You're doing great! Eyja 
Thank you Vincenza ! Your words of support and encouragement really do mean a lot to me.

William - Free and Healing for Eight Months, Six Days, 9 Hours and 6 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 30 Days and 4 Hours, by avoiding the use of 8693 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $3,952.19.
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Willis,

I've heard members mention this occured to them as well - seemingly out of the blue a strong craving comes on after feeling the urges have disappeared   The change of seasons or doing activities that bring on the memory of smoking can often cause this.  I know these cravings will not budge you though!  You have remained incredibly strong and optimistic throughout your quit.  Keep it up and keep posting with us!

Well here I am strutting my whole 8 months off cigarettes and all of a sudden ...wham ....crave, next day ...crave .. crave. What the ?  I thought I was past all that ! Thinking it over though the explanation is probably very straight forward "seasonal triggers" I realized that I had never experienced the change of seasons from summer to fall without cigarettes. I was walking my dog, the morning was cool the air crisp and clean and I thought...time for a smoke! Crazy stuff that nicotine but it didn't get me ! I just sort of smiled and thought ... nice try ! but not this time buddy !

Reading this thread: