Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Cold Turkey vs NRT

16 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Unhooked, congratulations on your stats, well I say: if you don't smoke you're a non-smoker, if you smoke you're a smoker... Voil� LOL As far as men are concerned.... there is medical proof that it's easier for a man to quit smoking vs a woman. Please stay with the program... when I went down to 14mg, I thought I was ok to take it off, the first day was fine, so I got sure of myself and told hubby I'm taking it off, all I can say is stick with the program to the end and you will be fine..... It takes another couple of days after you are done with the last patch and then you're ok. Ask Phil he went with gum for a while and quit altogether. So if there's no smoke, there's no fire .......... Marie one day at a time [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 384 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,528 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,496.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked, you are one of my favorite people on this site. In my mind, the method you chose is the best because it's working for you and will continue to be the best for as long as it works. Your goal and the goal of the two at the BBQ are the same, smoke free. You are, in fact, smoke free for as long as you abstain from smoking. You are also a nicotine addict and you're working on that because it helps you with the first goal. The two at the BBQ are also nicotine addicts but they have abstained from nicotine from the quit day and you haven't. Your plan is different and there's no reason why it shouldn't be. And back to the original statement, your goals are the same. Your program is working for you as their's worked for them. I can't see the difference between the two successes. There's nothing wrong with a little competition but the "my thing is better than your thing" gets old real quick. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $457.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[b]Voil�[/b] I being CT, and you with NRT, both in the smoke free paradise enjoying ourselves! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 148 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 740 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$295,288.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5957 Hours: 12

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry, straight, for correcting your spelling. And I don't think any ill of you at all. But please understand that this is a volatile subject, with lots of emotional issues inbedded in it. Someone who hasn't smoked a cigarette in 8 days, 15 days, 49 days...that is a MAJOR triumph, whether they quit cold turkey or used patches. To NOT SMOKE...I couldn't even imagine it. I used gum for three days, but my quit didn't start on the day I went off the gum. It started on day 1. And the troubles I went through for the next several months...yes, they were in my head. They were also in my heart. That didn't make them any less painful or less real. You are doing great, and I'm really proud of you. I'm proud of all of us who are making this journey in our own ways. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 930 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 26,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,255.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 131 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$54,964.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 2

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nothing to be sorry for, straight & you don't seem like an a-hole at all. I asked what people thought & that's what you think, no problem. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here, even if they're wrong! ;p Just kidding, of course. All points of view are interesting! I happen to also believe that it's easier for men to quit cold turkey than women. I know lots of women have but I think more men have done it & had an easier time of it, just from people I've known. I think women generally (not ALL of course, but generally) become more psychologically addicted & use smoking in more emotional ways than men do. Just my opinion. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 980 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $539.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
16 years ago 0 112 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
(I think he meant Voila) you are done." Yes sorry. I am still waiting for the edit button. lol Anyway. Of course I think a quit is a quit. I know the site you are talking about Rusty and that's not my point. Actually I have heard this from ex-smokers for years while I was smoking. I also worked with a guy who used the Gum all day long for years. I'm sorry but i do not call that quit. it's really just sad. Why congratulate a drug addict that just chose a less unhealthy way of getting high? So if a heroin addict goes into rehab and now takes methadone all day long to feel "normal" for the rest of his life instead of heroin, is he not a drug addict? Of course he is. And of course if you use these products the correct way you are not in threat of this. Remember it was not just the health reason we quit right? We all knew the dangers for years. In a way when I was say you are done it is true. Basically you need to get through the first 3 days and then the first 3 weeks. That's it. The rest is all in your head. I'm not patronizing anyone I just feel this is true. That is what works for me. I don't really even think of smoking now and my 3 week mark is in 2 days. I had it in my mind all the way up until my last cig for months. I just did not know it. I was quit on day one and just have to get over the physical withdrawal. That part is already gone. I have very few moments a day where I think about smoking. it's not a want for a smoke it just a thought that hey I usually smoke now. then I say wait! I'm no longer a smoker. that's it. This happens maybe 3-4 times a day now. I won't kid you that the first 3 days were very hard. But like other's here say if you did it today why can't you do it tomorrow? After 15 years of more than a pack a day it was a tough 3 days no doubt. But really that was it. After that I have been fine and not even worried about smoking again. I just know I won't Congrats to all that quit anyway you do it. Everyone has to quit their own way and this is just the way for me. I am sorry about posting the success/failure rates of those products as I hope it will not change the mind of any one thinking of quitting to not quit or think it's harder than it has to be. Like I said, even one quitter off those products is enough. I knew what I would say might be seen as being an a-hole, but my point is valid for me and your points are valid for all of you. Thanks for understanding... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $95.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey, Seamus, our penguin is in the Peg, too. She hasn't been around much but watch for her & say hi. Rusty & nonic, brilliantly simple & totally right,as always. Sam, I'm following the program closely as well even though sometimes I'm frustrated with it & want to hurry it up. I believe it does give me some time to identify the psychological & habit triggers before dealing with the physical addiction. straightflop, I admire your determination & courage and I absolutely get that you are not judging. I thank you all for your support & encouragment. I could not be doing this without all of you. I am so grateful to have found this site! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 980 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $539.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a discussion that takes place on this forum every 6 or 8 months. Is it better to quit cold turkey or use an aid? Is there something more superior about going CT? There is another Web site that declares that CT is the only way, and indeed, they don't allow you to join if you use any NRT. I got caught up with that site in the first few days of my quit and it convinced me to go CT. I made it through, but it wasn't as Straightflop says -- "Viola (I think he meant Voila) you are done." There is much work to be done, whether you quit CT or with an aid. And in the end, if you are quit, it doesn't matter how you did it. There are no moral judgements either way. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 930 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 26,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,255.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 131 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$54,964.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 649 Hours: 2

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 241 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] The point is you are quitting. [/quote] I see where you are coming from straightflop going CT.. However, I am using the patch and do not see myself as 'quitting'.. I see myself as quit. I have stopped smoking and that's the black and white of it. I do not see a grey area because I am using an NRT. I will wean myself down per the instructions of the program I'm using (the patch) whereby, come the end of the program I will have dealt with the psychological dependence on nicotine and zero dependence on the habitual part of smoking. I have set my goals per the program - I am psyched, as many are here at the SSC using whatever NRT to get them through what they need to go through so that what matters most, when all is said and done ... We are non smokers. The stats you posted sound quite bleak - but speaking just for myself .. they are only stats and they do not reflect my personal resolve to be smoke free. Kudo's to you though for being able to be one of many who did go CT :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $58.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked You need not worry about some self righteous, mildly insecure arse at a barbeque...You are doing fine...You have achieved a high degree of liberation from a terribly addictive substance...DO IT ANYWAY YOU ARE ABLE...Humans have this horrible need to make others feel smaller than their hurculean selves...And that is all this person was doing...I am willing to bet that this person has a very thin veeneer of a personality and you were an excellent target to deflect their own feelings of worthlessness...Just let it be, if your not buying and smoking cigarettes then you are quit...The medication is giving you the confidence to move forward, so do so and don't let fools slow you down... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 188 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,316.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49

Reading this thread: