Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

FOCUS on the Ugly

16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did not know there was any link between smoking & skin cancer. I had malignant melanoma in late 2003 & other than warning me that the graft might take longer to heal, none of my doctors said anything about that. I don't recall there being any info related to smoking in any of the literaure I was given either. Glad I quit anyway & that's just 1 more good reason. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy Thank you for the information...That is one of the things that keeps me going...All you need do is explore the facts...And your course of action should be a no brainer... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 145 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,015.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
16 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[color=Purple]Thank you again Dr. Mercy ! The more facts I am exposed to the greater my resolve. I embrace every day of not smoking :) I am a winner against the horrible nicodemon even when he tries so very hard to break me - I reach down deep and will him away. Sometimes in a day it seems almost impossible to keep fighting, but I do it and I'm the victor at the end of each and every day :p Jean [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $451.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Got to say... WAY TO GO GUYS. YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK NOW. Be positive. Don't mope about quiting. The reasons to be dancing over quiting are HUGE. Keep focused on the UGGGGGGLY of smoking. There is nothing fun, romantic or pretty about it. IT IS UGLY ...AND....AND....the only thing you are giving up is an addiciton. NOT>>>life... just an addiction. So go out and live and do it without cigarettes...and smile. Great job. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 117 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $522.99 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 220 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
They call it BURY YOUR HEAD SYNDROME, as smokers we didnt want to know or believe the horrible things they do to us both physicaly and mentaly, how many of us have read the warning on the pack, and then light up, i know we are all in a better place right now, keeping our quits, all the best jeanigirl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]4/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $95.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kayla, Hope all works out good. I'll say some prayers for you. I do know how you feel. I have been had my share of findings in the last two years. So far all have been beign, but I can't help wondering when the next one they find, won't be. Anyway, we all doing just great on our quits and thats what is important! Stay Strong, Stay Quit :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,950 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $390.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so glad I quit too. We were all suckered for too long. I still worry about the lasting effects of all the chemicals we put in our body. I recently had some test done and have to go for more because something was found. I regret putting off smoking as long as I did but I'm glad that I finally did. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 63 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,205 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $693.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
16 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After we quit, we finally believe all these statistics that we read about, and it scares the you know what out of us! Why does it take us so long to believe this! That nickodemon is clever enough that he even gets us to believe that these things will never happen to us! But they do every day! So glad I Quit!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,950 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $390.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, Those are some ugly facts! Good thing we quit! Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smoking and smokeless tobacco also cause between 60% and 93% of cancers of the oral passages and upper airways, including the throat, mouth, and esophagus. Smoking TRIPLES the risk of skin cancer. About 30% of cervical cancers have been attributed to both active and passive smoking. Cigarette smoke is a source of chemicals called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which can lead to specific genetic mutations in the p53 tumor suppressor gene. (In its normal state, this gene is protective against cancer.) Such mutations are present in about 60% of all cases of lung cancer and in many other smoking-associated cancers. People who smoke a pack a day have almost two and a half times the risk for stroke as nonsmokers!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 116 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,320 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $518.52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48

Reading this thread: