Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

carrots- go figure

17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My favorite is celery sticks. They have worked like a charm for me. I also like the baby carrots. I think the crunch in these foods helps with the frustration of learning new habits. For a treat I highly recommend the little grape tomatoes. :-)) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/19/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,735 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is a good idea!!!!!!!! I used a pen for the first week. I did not put it in my mouth I just held it between my fingers while holding the steering wheel. It was just to have something in between my fingers to replace the lost feeling. It helped me and now I am on 17 days today and do not use the pen at all. Its great when you have little tricks. Stay smoke free Jersy
17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here's a trick that my Dr. told me about, it sounded silly in his office but really helped me. I tended to smoke on a somewhat of a schedule- I ALWAYS smoked 3 cigarettes on the way to work and three more on the way home. My Dr. suggested I get baby carrots to use in the car. I tried it today- I held one between my fingers like a cigarette and held my hand towards the window (I didn't crack the window and pretend to flick the ashes but I suppose you could), then every minute or two I would take a small bite of the carrot until it was gone. My commute to work this morning was sooooo much calmer than I anticipated- three carrots and I was there! Hope this can help someone else! Dupe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:)Phil, I've only been posting a couple days and already I enjoy your humor (I tend to be a little "dry" in the humor category as well). No I can't see in the dark-yet. I only wish I could see into the future to see if I'm still not smoking in 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years, etc. Dupe
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am so glad you found something that helps right off the bat. That will definatly make the first, and hardest days go by so much easier. I found driving very difficult in the beginning, and becuase I love to drive that stank. But before long it got better. In fact, I find myself getting frustrated less and less when I am behind the wheel. Just hang in there. And remember it really does get better as time goes by. Once you have faced each trigger a few times, and not caved in, they get easier and easier to face. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 641 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $206.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had a stress ball in the car, I would squeeze the heck out of it when I had a crave. It's somewhere in the back seat now... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 829 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I'm diabetic so carrots of any kid are a huge "No, No" for me....They're loaded with sugar. But, sugar free Twizzlers work like a charm. You can get 'em at Wal-Mart....Of course!! ha ha ha Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $86.16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find that holding the breath until reaching point of hypervent is a great way for me to kill a crave...
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The smoke after a meal used to bug me, so I had a peppermint instead. (It helps the tummy too,) after a few days I was craving peppermints instead of cigarettes. Now it sugar free gum,( keeps me from munching everything in sight,) and the feelings get better with time, it just the first while that you seem to be searching for that substitute. Heck, I used to dig and dig in my purse then it would dawn on me, that I was looking for cigarettes and of course I didn't have them anymore. The old mind plays a few tricks on ya.The straw trick works really good too, I find that one particularily helpful when I get a bad craving! Cause it feels like the real drag. The main thing is try whatever you think will work, because it probably will help. Keep up the quit! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 224 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Those sugar free twizzlers are pretty good!!!! My hubby's diabetic and I've been known to nip a twizzler or two since I quit smoking. I also find sipping from a bottle of cold water can really squash a craving for me as well. But the water has to be good and cold. I just love all these new ideas. Keep 'em coming, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 61 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,856 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $549 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26

Reading this thread: