Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,095 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Pisces83, BazzViol, TGee, A-n-o-n, qwe

Major hurdle ahead

18 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Mookie since the angel of non-smokers helped ex-slave, he will be travelling with you this time. Do this one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 596 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mookie join us in the no smoking pledge :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 38 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 578 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $152 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
18 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was in a car the other day with a smoker---watch the contortions their face makes when they pull on that cigarette. I try to remember all the negative things...that morning cough; that disgusting smell; that nasty after-taste; the wrinkles around my lips; etc... Also try honesty-if it's bothering you, tell them. If it's tempting you, tell them. Last night I went to the store with the intent to buy smokes. I told the clerk, a stranger, that I was having an internal battle over smoking, that I had quit, so....give me a Dr. Pepper instead! Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $472 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 577 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mookie, I hope the weekend wasn't as bad as you feared, I'm sure you stayed strong. We are all looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Cruise ship when you return, where you'll be able to relax for as long as you need!! Regards Lilly :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,179 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �360 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$296,140.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5399 Hours: 19

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]I'm not confident about it at all. I am not worried about being offered a smoke but I'm worried I might "sneak" one out of someone's pack. The craving will be huge I know I would love to join in. I will say NOPE a million times and use all of my defences but I just don't think it will be enough.[/quote] Address the junking thinking: Be confident in the yourself, in your 49 days, in your coping skills. If you wanted to sneak a smoke, you could do so at any time. And you haven't thus far. Give yourself props for that. YOU have been the one doing this, no one else. Do not anticipate the craving to be 'huge'. Acknowledge it 'may' be there and prepare yourself. Do not let the possiblity of it 'scare' you. Have faith in yourself. Believe in yourself. Why would you love to join in? What is there to love about smoking? Hmmmmm.... let me see.... NOTHING! Why do you not think it will be enough? It has been enough thus far & look at you! 50 days smoke free today! Believe in yourself. You can do this. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 71 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,148 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $284 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$54,672.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5974 Hours: 17

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Breaking 100%!!!!! You can do this and after 49 days you should KNOW that you can. You have come this far, why would you smoke now? Stay strong 'knowledge is power' Carla [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,375 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to travel and meet up with family & friends who I truly love being around and socializing with who are major smokers. This will be the hardest challenge yet and I'm not confident about it at all. There is no way to avoid the trip and everyone knows that I just quit. I am not worried about being offered a smoke but I'm worried I might "sneak" one out of someone's pack. The craving will be huge and I know I would love to join in. I will say NOPE a million times and use all of my defences but I just don't think it will be enough. While I'm there for the next 2 days I will not have acces to this site. This will be my only chance to get my support. Desperately seeking help and advice. Mookie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 594 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $274.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
18 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mookie, Marie sent the "angel of the nonsmokers" to watch over me when I went to San Francisco with my children and my ex, who is a smoker. (thanks Marie). It was difficult at times, but I came back a victor over the nicodevil and I was sooooooo proud of that victory. You can do this, if you want to. Don't doubt that your defences will be enough. You said that you are worried that you might sneak one out of someones' pack. Well, you would have to 'hide' and smoke that cig. You still wouldn't be joining in the socializing and smoking with the friends. Have you tried chewing on a straw? Get a few of those coffee stirrer straws from a fast food place and take them with you. While everyone else is inhaling poisonous, cancer causing gases into their lungs, you chew on your straw and REJOICE that you don't have to feed the junkie. Have fun, Mookie. Have fun without the death sticks. You have a choice. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 58 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,578 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $217.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
  • Quit Meter

$91,120.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5974 Hours: 17

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
one more thing.....you say [i]The craving will be huge and I know I would love to join in.[/i] That's playing right into the junky's hand.....you wouldn't love to join in...for cripe's sake that would destroy a quit of 49 days!!! NO WAY are you serious! You have quit....you have CHOSEN to NOT smoke. Stick right with that commitment!! you might even be planning what your reward is gonna be for 'after' this trip???? Think POSITIVE! I for one KNOW that you are gonna report back a huge success! Katy
  • Quit Meter

$159,460.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5360 Hours: 2

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
when you see the relatives smoking.....and if the junky starts to talk.....remind him "who" is running your life. Think back on how difficult it was to get that control "back"......take a deep breath and then visualize yourself kicking him right square in his rotten, foul smelling mouth.....leave the scene for 10-15 while you suck up your confidence and redetermine that NO one is gonna take your prize away from ya!! You can get through this....and you can actually do it with minimal longings to smoke. Just keep on kickin "ash" Katy take some hard candies, mints, straws and keep an athletic's pop top bottle of icey water with you. remember.....kick butt!! :)
  • Quit Meter

$159,460.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5360 Hours: 2

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: