Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

But when is this a memory

18 years ago 0 1070 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hang in there! I am on day 2 and its so hard. I hope that it gets easier for you as the days pass!
18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey morningglory... I'm not as far as you are in your quit, but I ask the same questions everyday, heck every awoken hour. After reading posts and talking to my friends on the IM, unfortunatally there is no answer. We're all different... I guess that is what makes every quit special. Someday I guess I'll say it's worth the fight... that day hasn't come yet. Someday I'll consider myself a non-smoker... right now I'm still a quitter. Keep the quit morningglory! Ron N.O.P.E. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,273 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $243 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear what you are saying Lady... Thanks! Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,273 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $243 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again, I knew when I took this on it would not be easy. But I did not know it would get easier only to get harder again. Can anyone tell me when does this become a distant memory. When do you not crave and be really happy you quit. When does the sadness leave or the desire to throw the quit out the window. Dont get me wrong I am far from ready to give into this quit. But Just when I think its getting easier bamm I get this urge that says what is the big deal just smoke. I know how bad it is and I know my list of why not to is longer. I just want it to be a challenge everyday and not say its day 44, day 45. I just want it to be a regualr day. The day I stop counting I guess will be the day I am over this addiction. Sorry I know everyone is going through the same thing and I should not be feeling sorry for myself. But I am just wanting one today and dont even know why.I know its a habit Ihave had for 30 years so I guess it will take along time to get over it, I just hope it doesnt take another 30. LOL Thanks for listening to my moment of pity. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,364 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morningglory, I am on day 94 and the last 2 days have been much better for me. I don't think you can really say at what day it is going to be better for you, as everyone is different. When I would have bad days, I would just tell myself that one day it will be better. I also tell myself that craving for a day or even two days in a row is better then craving all day everyday for years to come if I was still smoking. Just know that while 45 days is awesome and seems like so long to us, it really is not compared to years of smoking. It will take a little longer for us to get our bodies to get used to new habits, and get over the nicotine addiction. But the good news is it can be done. Iwin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 94 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,891 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $376 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morningglory, I seldom think about smoking anymore, unless it is when I walk by someone doing it! I hold my breath and walk as fast as I can. It seems like for me getting to that 6 month mark was a defining moment. I don't know that there is a universal answer to your question. It comes with acceptance of yourself as a non-smoker. It comes with replacing that bad smoking habit with new, healthier coping mechanisms. For me personally, I don't ever want to forget hell week, heck week and blah week because I don't want to ever live through that again. I am very happy that I quit smoking, and still very angry with myself for ever having started. I will live with the guilt and worry about that for the rest of my life. I still remember the craves, but those memories are fading. Give yourself time and lots of tender loving care, and one day those craves will be a distant memory.
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Morningglory. Congrats on your 45 days. Boy you ask some really hard questions here. I'll try to help best I can. When is it a memory. Right now. Today. Every moment. Think back to day one. I'm sure today is nothing in comparison. Some days are good and some days are bad. On the bad days, you have to hold on to the good. Remember that even when we smoked we had good and bad days. Smoking won't ever make anything better. The farther you get into your quit the easier it gets. The bad days get farther and farther apart until the thoughts of smoking are just that..thoughts. For me personally, the first 60 days were pure Hell. I fought my quit every step of the way. I felt sorry for myself. I was angry. I was depressed and I really wanted to smoke. Then someone told me to embrace my quit. It thought to myself, what the heck does that mean? It means you hold on to your quit. You have quit for 45 days and you have fought hard for each and every one of those days. Hold on to them. Embrace them. Love your quit because it is awesome. You are breaking free of a horrible addiction and that is to be embraced. What an accomplishment! Many try and try but few succeed and you are one of the lucky ones that is succeeding. Attitude is key here. Replace the negative thinking with possitive. For me, this takes a lot of practice. Soon now you will start to feel a whole lot better. Just keep doing what you are doing because freedom is right around the corner for you. Once you reach it, you will know it and you will be so glad you stuck it out. Hope this helps. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 288 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,770 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1008 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ron... Every day is one day closer to never feeling this way again. You will get there. You just have to go on blind faith here. There is no set time period. Just keep believing. When I smoked, I wanted a cigarette all the time Now that I don't smoke, I only want one some of the time. One step at a time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 290 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,808 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1015 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
morningglory, Quitting is a double edged sword. No matter how you hold it, you are going to get cut. It takes time, yes time, to discover how to properly hold it without getting hurt, or feel hurting. Lolly made a great point about going through the seasons. That is probably why the 1 year anny is so significant. Each persons quit is different and unique. What I can tell you is that all of us smokers are nicotine addicts and will remain nicotine addicts for the rest of our lives. After we have quit we will be in recovery, just like the former alcoholic. For the alcoholic all it takes is that first sip, for the former smoker all it takes is that first puff. I fully expect to have thoughts about smoking every now and then for the rest of my life. The good news is that now I can just let those thoughts simply fade away. Attitude. Mine is positive. I know I will never smoke again. Smoking cannot do one single postive thing for my life. Nothing. Nadda. Zero. Zip. It's history. It's my attitude. Make it your attitude and you will find that your perspective about being quit will change and your feelings about being quit will be what you can truly build a new life on. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=purple]Hoping for success without hard work is like trying to harvest without planting.[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 336 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,423 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $823.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$36,331.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9767 Hours: 20

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 382 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Morningglory, Many months ago, when I was wondering the same thing myself, a wise person on this site said it would take a trip through all the seasons to accustom yourself to being an ex-smoker. At the time, that seemed a very long trip, but it gave me a focus and made me look forward not back. I could think...OK that's spring over, now it's summer and so on. Each season brought its own difficulties. I must tell you that I felt really comfortable long before the last season was over. You did the right thing posting a pity post....we can all understand how you feel. I'm sure you know there will be a few more hard days to come, but be ready for them and pull out all the old faithful coping mechanisms. You are right, it takes a while to recover from 30 (in my case, 40) years of smoking, but it is so worth it! Never Look Back, The Future is Ahead!!! Lolly. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/25/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 507 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 17,767 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2535 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 70 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$11,084.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 693 Hours: 13

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: