Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,661 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA

Sometimes cravings have me paralyzed

18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Arwensmom, You sound frustrated. Your coughing makes it seem like you had been smoking for a long time. Your whole life has been shaped by smoking at certain times everyday. I have the same problem. I work on seeing the frustration for what it is and not letting it get the best of me. I know that I have to change my cigarette break times to simply break times. Snack before you start working on a dog. when you are finished.. realize tha you may get a craving or a frustration.. get another snack until it passes. Work on the times that you know you will have the most frustration.. after finishing a dog.. for example.. do something instead of smoking. Replace it with something that won't kill you.. you can quit the replacement in a short time.. or change it to something else. Some people really like hot tea.. or oranges or peanuts .. Think about what you like.. go buy it.. plan for those frustrating times. I'm sorry you are having a hard time.. out think your addiction ! Hang Tuff ! Chris [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 147 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $17.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is day 8 for me. While my boyfriend and I quit together mostly because he was in danger of losing his legs. I really needed to quit myself because I just had so much trouble breathing. The difference is I was willing to have trouble breathing. I kept blaming other things and refusing to see that it was cigarettes. My boyfriend is at the end of the cigarrette chain. He lives in constant pain from his knee, he can't get the surgery to get a new knee until the infection in his legs clear up, and the infection won't completely clear up until he stops smoking. That's pretty final. So final that he really doesn't have cravings. He has a thought that it would be nice to have a smoke once in a while, but no real cravings. One thing I'd like to repeat. I was willing to go on having trouble breathing. If this isn't the definition of addictive insanity, I don't know what is. I have people come up to me that have seen me standing outside smoking and coughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath and STILL smoke. They tell me that they wondered what I was doing smoking with that kind of cough. Strange thing, had they come up and said "How can you smoke when it's obvious you can't breathe?" I would have said "I like it. I like smoking." Oh yes, I really like that searing pain in my upper chest when I take a drag. I get off on wasting a half a cig because I can't breathe enough to take a drag and it burns up waiting for me to stop coughing. I wouldn't have listened, I would have denied it. I'd never have recognized it. That's why I say I quit because my boyfriend quit. I'd never have done it otherwise. I would have choked myself to my grave. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/30/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a self-employed dog groomer. I dont' make money unless I work. There are no sick days, or leaving early, or lunch time breaks. Sometimes I can't do anything. I can't cut a dog (or my shaking hands will really CUT the dog). I can't send out reminder cards. All I can do is sit with my eyes closed saying to myself "this will pass" over and over and over. Much more of this, and I won't have any business to worry about. Naturally the addicted portion of my brain chimes in "this isn't worth it, have a cigarette and get back to work"
18 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Arwensmom, Try some breathing exercises, they really help. Sit with down with your legs crossed. Close your eyes, put your hands palm up on your knees, tips of the thumb and pointing finger should slightly touch. Slowly inhale thru your nose to the count of four, then you slowly exhale thru your mouth to the count of four. Do this four times, increase the count to six, to this six times. Focus on your breathing, and clear your mind (which won't be easy the first few times around, but after a while you'll get the hang of it). Getting some meditation tapes also help. Do this for just a few minutes a few times throughout the day, or whenever you feel the urge to light up. Just whatever you do, don't listen to the nicodemon, he just is mad that you aren't his friend anymore. Hope this helps, Gaby [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 410 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i think that is a terrific reason to want to stay quit - breathing is highly under-rated, unless you can't, and then it becomes very important! Stay focused on your breathing - i do the deep breathing exercises - and either hyperventilate to the point of passing out (kidding) or get thru the crave. Usually i get thru it before the spots in front of my eyes get really bright ;) You can do this......... [IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/SSC4me/u_rock_kitty.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 743 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $330.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ArwensMom Don't let the cravings control your life. If you acknowledge them, they keep coming back. By chanting your mantra, [quote] All I can do is sit with my eyes closed saying to myself "this will pass" over and over and over. [/quote]perhaps you are inadvertantly feeding the craving......giving it what it wants - your attention. I noticed in your other posts that you quit because your boyfriend had to quit. I'm wondering if this perhaps isn't a good time to re-evaluate YOUR reasons for quitting. After all, you aren't subjecting yourself to this hell and horror JUST for him, are you? (you are a better person than I am if you say yes.......'cause i wouldn't quit for anyone else other than me!) You have to come up with your own reasons for not wanting to smoke. And then when the craves do come, think of these reasons. This is YOUR quit - no one else's - so you really have to personalize it. Good luck, keep posting.......stay strong! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 743 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $330.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, ArwensMom. I don't know how long you've been quit, but from what I can figure out it's only been a day or so totally nicotine free. Physical withdrawals last a few days. That's the shakes, sweats, other actual physical symptoms. After that, all the nicotine is out of your system and it becomes a mind game, you vs. the addiction. Once the shakes are over you should be able to safely groom a dog, correct? Maybe you should just take a few days off until the shaking passes. Sure you'll lose a bit of money, but at least it will be over and the pups will all be safe. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 259 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $984.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
While I understand what you are saying, I fear that using your boyfriend's quit as your catalyst doesn't carry the same weight as quitting "just" because YOU choose to?? and this in turn could leave you overwhelmed with the loss of your old friend the addiction. and when you say you smoked through coughing up a lung, I relate....there were times when I was so ill with colds, fever, sore throat, coughing....but NONE of it would stop me from lighting that next sickarette! I would sear my throat and lungs just to get my "fix" of nicotine. and girlfriend, you have GOT to face off with this beast and declare to him that you are taking BACK the control of your life....then get a really clear picture of the dirty, disgusting and deadly foe that he is! and hang on....tighten your belt....the rollercoaster ride WILL finally end. Just don't light up....no matter what. None of us have died from quitting.....grab hold of our hands and hang tough Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1494 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 59,795 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8217 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 194 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$159,012.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5345 Hours: 1

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Arwen, Everyone has a point, you have got to relax :) Take some time every night (for a better sleep) or during the day where it is you time. Have nap, go for a walk, read a book, take a bath and really take the time to focus on you. Exercise is a great stress reliever, along with yoga and stretching. Always check with your doctor before beginning an exercise routine. Relax! It will help you in the long run :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: