Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,136 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Mimi34, istruggle4life, schcgtest1, FeelingD0wn, monopolygou4gm

Need a boost

18 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bren it's good & brave to reach out to the other members and ask for help. Putting on excess weight is dangerous for your health as is smoking but waiting a year till your body is 100% clear before providing any medical help is not a solution. Don't worry I am sure you are not on your own and advice will come pouring in ... Ian XXX [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
18 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just got back from the doctor here in Germany. Told him I've already gained weight, and that I'm concerned about it. I always have to watch my weight anyhow. So I asked him for help. He's a nice doctor, very helpful, but also very German. He didn't want to give me any medication for it. Told me my body has to recover first, than maybe we can do something about it. It all sounded logical, the way he explained it, but it doesn't help me. It's hard enough dealing with the not smoking. And from what I've read here, excercise and diet don't always work. Any tips on how to crank up the metabolic system? It's all starting to bring me down. Thanks Brenda [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 123 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone! You're right, it's as simple as more calories out then in. I'm just so on the edge right now, was hoping for a miracle drug. Silly me. Like I said, it's hard enough quitting without all the emotional and physical stuff that seem to go with it. But you all work on it, so that gives me a boost. (thanks Mama, I'll look into that!). Guess my dogs are in for longer walkies! Brenda [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 127 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda, It's really simple. More calories out then in. I would love to say there is an easier way, but that is really about it. I used weight watchers because this is really the basic program. But there are many others. For one thing, start writing down everything you eat. You will be surprized at how much it really is when you don't track it. Then, there is a website you can look at (I can't post a link and don't even know if I can put this) (Do a web search on calorie king) that you can get the calories of almost any food. Look up on the web how many calories your body needs to function, (it will be according to your height and weight) and stay under that. For instance, I am 5'4" and 128lbs so I need 1800 calories just for functioning. I stay under that, plus work out, I lose weight. Simple. To gain a pound, you have to eat 3500 calories excess of that number. Post for me if you need help figuring this out. Love, Mama Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$75,185.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6545 Hours: 15

Minutes: 34 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quitting Smoking and Weight Gain How to Minimize Weight Gain When You Quit Smoking Most people who quit smoking worry about gaining weight. It seems to go with the territory. While a small gain is normal, excessive weight gain when you quit smoking can create new health problems and erode your determination to stay off cigarettes. Learn what you can do to keep your weight under control as you go through the process of recovery from nicotine addiction. Why do people gain weight when they quit smoking? Smoking effects a person's metabolism and also burns calories: Smoking burns up to 200 calories a day in a heavy smoker Because smoking burns calories, metabolism is boosted (increased) slightly Nicotine is an appetite suppressant When you quit smoking, a gain of between 5 and 10 pounds during the first few months of cessation is normal. If your eating habits have remained the same as they were when you smoked, you can easily shed this small gain with a brisk, 30 minute walk daily. Why do I want to eat more? Smoking cessation throws our bodies into shock initially. Increased appetite is a side effect of quitting tobacco for most people. One or more of the following reasons may be at play: Cigarettes as an appetite suppressant - Smokers often avoid between meal snacking by lighting up. Nicotine is a stimulant, and may also interfere with the release of the hormone insulin. Insulin controls glucose levels in the blood. When this function is blocked, a person will become slightly hyperglycemic, and as a result, the body and brain may slow down the hormones and other signals that trigger feelings of hunger. Food as a replacement for smoking - early on in a person's quit, the urge to smoke is frequent and uncomfortable. It's natural to look for something to ease the discomfort, and food is often used as a replacement. Not only does it fill the void left by the cigarette, food can be an emotional comfort, easing the pain of withdrawal. Studies have shown that women are at greater risk than men for returning to smoking as a way to avoid weight gain. Understanding what happens to our bodies when we quit smoking, and what we can do to alleviate discomforts in constructive ways that do not involve weight gain will help you stay on track.
  • Quit Meter

$54,680.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5975 Hours: 15

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Daatske, In the first 4 months of my quit, I gained 8lbs. I was not exercising very much. However in the past 4 weeks, I've lost 6 of those eight pounds and have more muscle (which as you probably know, weighs more than fat). I'm not working out in a gym, just spending 20 minutes on a cross-trainer (running machine) at home, doing the occasional workout with hand weights and some press-ups. I estimate that by August, I'll be back to my 'smoker' weight, with less fat, more muscle and far superior lung capacity! hope this helps Mr Ed :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,635 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 181 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:)brenda you have to look at what yur eating!if its only been 10 days and you have put some on already you must be snacking on naughty stuff! :8o:diet and jumping around will work fine as long as your honest with yourself on what your realy eating ,putting on a few pound is soooooooooo worth it .to quit smoking is the best thing to do and your doc is right not to give stuff out willy nilly ,it can muck you up somthing rotten! :eg:give your self a break its early days!pamper yourself with lots of good food[no !not cakes!! :8o:] dont give up on you! ok jan x
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda, Keep concentrating on your quit at this point. Too many activities will over stimulate you. If you want to begin with anything use water and increase your intake, as well as using it as a coping mechanism. This will help flush out the toxins and help cleanse. Reconnect with your doctor after a couple of weeks and then you can come up with a plan that can work for you. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: