Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

BLOATED STOMACH AND GASSY

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Don't touch those filthy things, Ronnie! 

Glad to hear the gas and discomfort is decreasing. Just remember that you don't want to go through that withdrawal symptom again, if you need motivation to ignore the roommate's smokes.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,557.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 22

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dan....thankyou so much for your support...i really appreciate it.....and sorry for replying so late...last week was very bad for me except this weekend..the whole week this bloating and gas..and bouts of constipation and diarrhea...and pain in abdomen...but on the weekend  it started getting a little better..now the bowel movement is a bit better and the pain is very little and just sometimes in a day..earlier i was having it all the time....a week ago it got better then again got worse...i hope this time it will get better only...

earlier i didnt have any strong cravings,,,but for the last two days  the cravings are very strong...i am trying not to smoke..but my apartment mate smokes also and his spare packs are all around the house...so far i have managed not to...and i wont as well..but i hope this strong craving goes away.....

once again thanks alottt...your words really help me

Ronnie 
9 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ronnie. Sorry to hear its being so rough on you. From my own experience, and others I've talked to, your bloated gassy feelings are normal. Will just take a little time to work through is all. There may be times when you want to wear a gas mask! LOL But hang in there. I promise you it will ease. You have changed your diet completely, and stopped smoking, so your stomach has a couple of things to deal with. Remember, drinking cold water and taking walks when your able will help. Be sure your getting the fiber you need in your diet also. Keep us informed on how your doing ok? I'm interested in your journey. If I can help you in any way...you just let me know! Dan
hello.....thanks alot DAN and ASHLEY....these words really help me to get through this time....so far the craving is not a problem...but this bloating and abdominal pain  with bouts of constipation and diarrhea both..its killing for a while......is it normal to have both diarrhea and constipation both after quitting?????...

i have changed my diet completely..breakfast just yogurt and oats...then light lunch...and later in the evening  chicken made in just black pepper and salt....

i really dont want to get back to smoking...but i want this feeling to pass.....

can anyone let me know if they felt the same and is it normal or not?

and ASHLEY,no , i am not on any medications..i was having a stressful day and realized this smoking is the cause..so i just quit it....i smoked for 10 years,,,almost 18 cigs to a pack in last few years....

9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ronnie,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Bloating and gas can be a withdrawal symptom. Are you on any NRTs or medications to help you quit smoking? If not, you can assume it is just withdrawal. Smoking increases gastro intestinal motility(how your intestines move)when you quit, you intestines slow down. Your food spends more time travelling through your gut and naturally produces more gas.

Try cutting out foods that naturally aid in gas production, carbonated drinks and chewing gum. More air swallowed, more gas you'll have. Lastly, regular physical activity has also been helpful as it encourages your gut to start moving.

How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ronnie. Congrats on being a NON-Smoker! Good for you man! I smoked anywhere from 3 to 5 packs a day and quit. I've been smoke-free for nearly 7 years now. If I can do it, so can you! As far as being bloated and gassy....it is def one of the symptoms you will deal with when you quit. Length of time it lasts varies from person to person...but like the other poster said...it WILL pass. You have to remember that when you started smoking, your body had to figure out how to continue to work with all that nicotine you were swallowing with every cigarette. Now that you quit, it has to remember how to do it's job WIHOUT the nicotine. It's actually a good thing. It shows that your body is in recovery! Awesome! Hope this little message helps and remember...your not alone. Dan
hi..
         thanks alot for the encouraging words....i will stay strong...will definitely give it sometime to settle by itself....thanks once again

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I guess nicotine kind of stimulates the digestive tract, so when people stop, there is a tendency to experience some constipation and related bloating and gas. The remedies I've read here include the same natural remedies you'd use for any case of constipation: lots of fiber, lots of liquids, and walk after meals to get the bowels moving.

And remember that like all the other withdrawal symptoms, this, too, shall pass. (Pun intended.
  • Quit Meter

$22,557.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 22

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hello everyone...i am new here...i recently quit smoking more than two weeks ago....in those two weeks  didnt notice much...just the  first 3 to 4 days after quitting were difficult...but couple of days ago i fell my stomach bloated..at first i thought its maybe something i ate..but  i feel like this most of the time now...stomach upset too a little bit...at first i thought its IBS but then i happen come across few forums and got that  these are the smoking withdrawal  symptoms...i have no idea how will it last   and what to expect next..i smoked for 10 years..in last a year or two   almost one pack a day.....

any suggestions what might help with this bloated stomach and how long will it last and what to expect next....

i really want to get over this bad habit..

i would really appreciate the help!!

RONNIE 

Reading this thread: