Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Heck Week still hard

13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not getting a great vibe from Luvlambs; seems we would have heard something by now.  Me, I know the feeling of a quit that didn't quite "take" this time, so if by some long shot, it didn't quite work out for LL this time around, I hope she'll maybe see all of the support and good wishes for her here. 

Or maybe she's still in the throes of the Happy Dance and hasn't gotten around to posting yet?  Either way, I'm with y'all; I hope we hear from her soon.

peteg
13 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me too I'd like to know.  How did the trip go Luvlambs?
13 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Luvlambs!

Just wondering how your trip went and how your holding up.  You sounded quite nervous about how you would handle camping with friends as a non smoker which is understandable.  Hear to listen (or read) if you'd like to share anything about your experience; what worked, what didn't work etc.
13 years ago 0 410 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We're all confident you can do this! Just keep what we said in mind. As Jim said, you can always walk away. I'm betting everyone will be very supportive of your quit. We'll all be here when you get back. Life is too short! Enjoy yourself!
All the best!
cameless
13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Luvlambs!!!

Cameless is right on in his comments!  Instead of going into the weekend with doubts and dread, charge right in with a Positive Mental Attitude about the situation!!!    There's no need to worry about all of this!  You are a non-smoker now and you should be rejoicing every smoke-free minute because you are attaining freedom from a very nasty addiction!  Also, you will be with family that you haven't seen in some time and that shouldn't be anything to dread!  If their smoking starts getting to you, very simply, step away and get up wind of them to keep from getting any of their nasty smoke in your face! 

If you can keep a PMA and cheerful attitude going through the weekend, you may well inspire one or more of your smoking family to quit themselves!!!  Now, wouldn't that be a reason to celebrate next year's campout!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep up the good work. I've just passed 'heck week' and got through it with sugarfree mints and Jolly Ranchers. They helped enormously whenever I would have that odd sensation I was suppose to be doing something else - my old crutch.

Some people use a mantra - mine is "It is easier to stay quit, then to quit again".
Some people use hard candy. I am sure there is a tool or trick(s) you can pick up from these forums that will help you through those weak moments. Find one or ten and use them all - but stay quit! It is worth it - or so I am finding.

Leonide

Freedom Meter
Smoke-Free Days: 17
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 444
Amount Saved: $148.75
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 14 Mins: 0 Seconds: 41

13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Luvlambs49,

This could possibly be a high trigger event so prepare!  Take a look at the Emergency Coping Plan in the education section and keep it on hand during your trip.  Remind yourself why you are doing this and how important it is to you.  If you have to write it down in order to remind yourself when craves get tough then do so!

You can have fun camping but remember your quit needs to be top priority now!

Keep us posted on how you do!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 410 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Particia,
Congratulations on beating Heck week! I have found it best not to project outcomes when I anticipate upcoming events I used to smoke at. If you are expecting to be miserable camping you probably will be. Attitude  and (as Sparky said), preparation are key. As you said, "I can do this!" If you want to you will!
All the best!
cameless
13 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ask yourself how bad do you want this quit.  Prepare, prepare and prepare.  This can be a dicey time, but if you really want this you can do it.  Maybe not go this time, just a thought.  You are in charge and you are the only one that can lose this quit.  Your choice.  I believe you want this or you wouldn't have posted.  I have screwed up so many times and it is hard to lose a quit and come back and tell everyone.  Have your gum, ice water, ice water, walking shoes for long walks, ice water, straws cut to the size of a cigarette helps.  Sending you positive thoughts.

Keep the Quit
Sparky
13 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In my 2nd week of not smoking.  I'm actually doing fairly well, but getting ready to go on a camping trip for 3 days with family who I usually have a blast with.  My sister in law and a few other family members will be smoking and this will be the first time I won't be smoking (hoping not anyway).  I am so dreading going and not smoking.  I ususally look forward to this event for weeks beforehand ( we get together once a year).  I just feel like I'm going to have a miserable time.  Is is possible to have fun during heck week?  

Patricia

Reading this thread: