Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Today is Tough

13 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello steelroots  I know what you are saying about it being harder as time goes on. My longest 2 quit attempts before this were for roughly 6 weeks both times. I wanted ( or at least I thought I wanted ) one more at 6 weeks than I did the first days. You've got some great advice from the other members. Everyone goes through rough patches. Some of mine were at I beleive 70 days , around 100 days , and anniversaries can be tough as well like 6 months or a year. Remember that after 3 days the nicotine is out of your system and from here on out it's mind games and how you deal with it. Try not to get to H.A.L.T. Any one of the four hungry , angry , lonely or tired can hurt us. You've come through the hard part already so why not take it to the next level. I never again want to experience that sick high of stopping smoking and as long as I don't smoke that first cigarette I'll never again have to. Smoking won't help sell the house or make anything better. We help each other stay smoke free one day at a time. Others have stopped for long periods of time and there's no reason why you can't as well. We're here to help you navigate the obstacle course. steelroots 23 Addict 0  breather
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 640
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 32,000
Amount Saved: $15,360.00
Life Gained:
Days: 116 Hrs: 19 Mins: 38 Seconds: 48

13 years ago 0 410 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smoking was a way for me to avoid getting things done like those listed below by Sticking to it. It's amazing what gets accomplished when I'm not stopping every 10 minutes for a smoke break! Wish I was motivated to quit decades ago! Life is so much better smoke free!
cameless

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 12/17/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 970
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 24,250
Amount Saved: $8,063.13
Life Gained:
Days: 189 Hrs: 22 Mins: 6 Seconds: 7

13 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Things to keep busy with:

Clean the shower

Clean the stove

Mop, vacuum or sweep the floors

Clean the inside window

Clean the bathroom and bedroom mirrors

Laundry the blankets and pillows on the bed

Sort the stuff out in the junk drawer

Clean out the closets

Get rid of old unused clothes

Exercise

Stretches

Curl and press small hand weights

A few deep breaths from time to time

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/22/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1664
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 41,600
Amount Saved: $18,200.00
Life Gained:
Days: 325 Hrs: 16 Mins: 2 Seconds: 2

13 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
He Steelroots,

Keep on fighting.  Getting over the "relationship" we have with smoking is the hardest part. Check out thre Rewards section in Milestone 5 to start celebrating your success and to begin to make happy memories that do not involve smoking.

Trying to associate smoking as bad and not as something we get pleasure from can be challenging.  I would love to hear from some of the other veteran quitters.  How do you remember smoking? How do you cope with these memories or how has your thinking changed?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The walking is working and so is the water.  Now if you walk around the block again in the opposite direction, you add some variety and spice to it.  If you are able do some simple phyical exercises. Do house work, keep yourself busy. Having thoughts are normal.  However do things to keep you busy.  Thought pass and they always will.
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/22/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1664
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 41,600
Amount Saved: $18,200.00
Life Gained:
Days: 325 Hrs: 15 Mins: 58 Seconds: 26

13 years ago 0 109 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today is day 23 - since my relapse - was rocking along very good until the last few days - 
House is for sale and an offer is coming in this afternoon, husband is on a phone interview at this moment and I'm getting very anxious about the unknown.  It seems overwhelming and my thoughts are running wild about smoking.  I've walked twice  in the last two hours and drinking cold water and decided to come here and post and I'm deep breathing and praying.  Already know that whether I smoke or not will not change my circumstances but when you did smoke for 35+ yrs under any and all circumstances it's very hard to not do it now.
I feel like I'm going backwards with my quits - the longer I'm quit the more I think about and want to smoke.
The first few weeks (hell and heck) are fairly easy and the more time passes then I start craving and the memories of smoking days start creeping in.  Haven't figured out why yet.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/21/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 23
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 345
Amount Saved: $86.25
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 7 Mins: 29 Seconds: 47

Reading this thread: