Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Finishing a NRT

13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Anjel,

You are going to have those bumps or triggers or craves for a while yet!  The thing is, if you get it sunk into your brain that you know that they will be coming and you know that you are  NOT going to smoke, the whole process gets easier and easier every day!  Like I keep telling everyone...  it's a war that you cannot afford to lose and you just have to win every battle in the war against the nico-demon!  At first the battles are hellacious!  Then the enemy gets weaker after every battle and you get stronger!!! 

Fight your heart out, Anjel, because at your age, you can rid yourself of the damage caused by the death sticks!!!  Make yourself proud and successful!!!  Crave the quit!

Have a great smoke-free weekend!

Jim

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 836
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20,900
Amount Saved: $3,448.50
Life Gained:
Days: 144 Hrs: 0 Mins: 39 Seconds: 3

• Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 2

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Hot SiO2    Congratulations for getting rid of Chantix after a little more than three weeks and remaining quit!  I will start reading other older threads about NRT's.  I kind of feel I don't need the information on nrt s yet but it will be invaluable at the end and during the cycle of therapy.  So I guess I will start reading..now.  Right now I am taking the right amount of mgs a day for how much I used to smoke, and successively weaning myself off in regards to the  manufacturer's guided time frame.  Only I do get angry the day I change my nicotine intake, but I need to encounter a few bumps along the path.  It will all be worthwhile in the long run.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/23/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 27
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 270
Amount Saved: $79.65
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 21 Mins: 50 Seconds: 13

13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Anjel!!!

You have made it through many milestones so far and there are many more to come!  You are about to go through, what was for me, a short period of several milestones!  First 4 weeks, then 30 days, then a month, then 5 weeks!  4 milestones in one week!  For me that was a lot of celebrating to do and really helped me to maintain a Positive Mental Attitude!  All that celebrating also helped me to stay really psyched up about maintaining my quit!

What does all this have to do with you?  Well, my NRT was Chantix.  Similar to lozenges, the drug helped to minimize the craves and made the first few weeks tolerable.  By the time my 3rd week came along, I was so psyched up that I was actually doing this that I told myself that I could continue on as a non-smoker without the NRT!  I was committed and I wanted this quit more than anything!  So, after 3 1/2 weeks I was off the Chantix!   Another motivation was the money that I would save by getting off the NRT, which was a bit over $100 a month!  I would be able to deposit the cigarette money in my savings account instead of the NRT I felt I no longer needed.

Quitting and getting of NRT's is different for everyone.  If you have any doubt about your ability to abstain from the lozenges and remain a non-smoker, please continue using them until you are absolutely ready!  Slowly wean yourself off them and keep telling yourself that you  CAN  do this without them.  Try a day without them when you feel ready and if you feel you need one, go for it!  The main thing is that you do what ever you need to do to keep the quit, right?   

You are doing great in your quit so far!!!  You will know when the time is right for you!  Continue to read and learn and post when you have questions.  There are also a lot of threads here concerning weaning off NRT's.  Do a search and see what you find! 

Jim

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 834
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20,850
Amount Saved: $3,440.25
Life Gained:
Days: 143 Hrs: 15 Mins: 26 Seconds: 43

• Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 2

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you all by letting me know how the end is going to be in advance.  I was a little upset at the thought of going back to smoking, especially after spending money, not a lot of money, but money nontheless on lozenges.
My Mileage:

Smoke-Free Days: 25
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 250
Amount Saved: $73.75
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 18 Mins: 20 Seconds: 39

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anjel, I also didn't suffer any withdrawals when I came off of the NRT. By stepping down gradually, you're already getting less and less nicotine. Giving up the last little bit is usually easy. However, do follow the directions given by your doctor or that are given by the drug manufacturer. Do not overstay your welcome on NRT.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 411
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 11,508
Amount Saved: $4,890.90
Life Gained:
Days: 46 Hrs: 7 Mins: 13 Seconds: 7

13 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anjel I didn't suffer any at all. By using the patch programme correctly and reducing the nicotine dosage weekly i.e 21mg, 14 mg. amd then 7mg I had, by the time I had finished the programme, completely weaned myself off the nicotine and didn't suffer at all. I was told that the 7mg patch is so weak that it is more a psychological aid rather than a physical aid and by that stage you are more or less weaned off.
Dont worry about that stage, I know I thought I would take the patch off and be overwhelmed by giant cravings but it didn't happen I promise you. You're doing so well, keep going.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 767
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 19,175
Amount Saved: $11,505.00
Life Gained:
Days: 93 Hrs: 15 Mins: 48 Seconds: 45

13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi anjel,

With Nicotine Replacement Therapy, blood concentrations of nicotine peak more slowly, reaching much lower levels than when you smoke. You don't experience the nicotine "rush," but you also don't experience the painful cravings and withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting.

Members, what have your experiences been with withdrawals upon completing your NRT? 

Samantha, Health Educator
For those that have finished their NRT, what withdrawals will I be facing at the end of therapy? or Are all symptoms different? or Will it be the same as a person who quit cold turkey?
My Mileage:

Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 240
Amount Saved: $70.80
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 17 Mins: 4 Seconds: 25

Reading this thread: