Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Homeward Bound

14 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,

I am a newcomer and in comparison to you I am at the beginning of my quit but I feel very proud of myself. I have used the nicotine patch to help deal with the withdrawals. I am on the 3rd and final dose of the patch. Next Monday I will be winging it free of nicotine in my system. I cannot wait. I actually hate putting nicotine into my system because it makes me think of the Big Monster (per Allen Carr). Sometimes I feel that I am giving nicotine too much respect but to be honest it has been so difficult for me to get this far in my quit that I do not want to risk falling victim to the Monster by going off the patch before the end of the recommended course which I am nearly finished anyway. I have learnt how to cope with nicotine cravings (more thoughts now) and I am strong, confident and again very proud that I am smokefree.

Anyway, I was inspired to post today by your words of encouragement. This site is a wonderful way to off load all of your angst during the quit. I want to be able to revisit this site someday like you have and remember this angst as a distant and vague memory. Thank you for posting. As they say in Limerick you are a "ligend".

Regards,

Scruffy.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 67
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,608
Amount Saved: �687.42
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 22 Mins: 45 Seconds: 18

14 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,

Still love to read your older posts.  I really understand where you are coming from when you say that you have come so far in your quit that writing about quitting is so far removed from your thoughts these days.  That's really a good sign that you can now spend most of your time in the freedom of being a non smoker.  We still love it when you give us a bite to chew on once in a while though.

Thanks Again,
Ron

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 512
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,216
Amount Saved: $3,225.60
Life Gained:
Days: 78 Hrs: 20 Mins: 25 Seconds: 4

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nonic
It is great to see you here. Please come by more often. I love your wonderful writing. Lots of wisdom and great writing style.
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 292
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,380
Amount Saved: $438.00
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 3 Mins: 59 Seconds: 24

14 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Impapamania

Thank you for your kindness, I certainly will be around from time to time.  I want to see everyone here break this thing in two... I am glad to see that you are here and giving support to others...Can't think of a better thing to do...

stay well

nonic 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1051
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 31,530
Amount Saved: $11,035.50
Life Gained:
Days: 200 Hrs: 16 Mins: 33 Seconds: 37

• Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 10

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please stop by whenever you can, Nonic. 

Because of you, we are all richer.  Thank you for sharing!

Keep the Quit,

Dave

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 294
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,820
Amount Saved: $2,315.25
Life Gained:
Days: 47 Hrs: 22 Mins: 47 Seconds: 10

• Quit Meter

$50,489.19

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 20

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the update Nonic.

1049 days is excellent! Do check back in again soon!

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello my fellow travelers:

I have not attended this site in a very long time.  And for that I am the poorer man.  But today for some reason I find myself once again at these pages and was shocked to see my name (assumed name) on a number of posts.  These days I am apt to become more befuddled with the passing seasons, but I did not think that I could be so unaware as not to remember putting  pen to paper or perhaps fingers to keyboard.  But I now see that it is not memory malfunction at work, but some kind sole finding old posts that I left during my time of trials.  Thank you for that, it is serving as a vehicle for me to once again revisit old things.  Being an old thing myself, I kind of like that.

I do hesitate to offer any input these days as I am in truth much removed from the actual pain of withdrawal.  One should only write things here that are authentic and of the moment.  Having shed the monkey,  his teeth no longer draw my blood.  But I do understand how difficult this process can be.  Cigarettes are used by many as an anti-depressant and a mood shifter.  For many years I employed the substances in those weeds for similar purposes.  In all of that time I never thought of myself as being addicted. No addiction is the moniker attached to those other substances I monkeyed with in my younger years.  But the object of my use was always the same.  I was hiding.  I was denying myself.  I was avoiding the pain of being a human being.  Well I am no longer hiding or avoiding.  Do not mistake me here, I do find it fairly painful to be a human being, but in many ways the non-addicted self I have become is a much more accepting and perhaps (dare I say) a wiser being. 

I hope that all of you who come here, find the support that I found.  Do not hesitate to write your thoughts.  Let people know when it hurts, they are hurting too.    Listen to others, the pain they are describing is your pain.   You can leave this addiction behind.  It takes guts and hope and resolve to do so.  But it also requires the help of others who find themselves wearing your shoes.  Help one another, and you will certainly receive the help that you desire.  And oh yes, always be homeward bound...

stay well

nonic

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1049
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 31,470
Amount Saved: $11,014.50
Life Gained:
Days: 200 Hrs: 6 Mins: 2 Seconds: 48

• Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved