Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Feet and ankles swelling

14 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb, I think you should say whatever you want whenever you want to say it, I am like you too, when I get negative feedback makes me want to smoke.....or when I first wake up, with my morning coffee, after I finish something, when I come out of a store, when I get in my car, after I brush my teeth......I think about smoking a lot. This seems like a good place to write about your personal problems, even if it seems like your whining.....what matters is that you contiue to encourage yourself,,,,and don't give up trying to quit.  Who knows what all the side effects of quitting a habit like smoking can bring on......since I stopped smoking I chew on JuJu stxs......you can get them at quitsmoking dot com....they are bamboo toothpicks that have lasting flavor,,,,,,I think I am addicted to them now, which is much healthier than inhaling smoke,,,,,,I chew one everytime I want a cig,,,,and now my mouth is a little raw....but if you think about how many ciggerttes I was smoking a day,,,,,,a raw mouth is a much better situation than getting lung cancer.....when someone writes something negative,,,,,,ARGUE......that always makes me feel better.
14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb
I tend to experience swelling when I don't drink enough water. And yes it does happen to me at the beginning of the summer months. Also when I take a 4+ hours flight.
I also tend to swell with Chinese Food! Too much sodium for me.
I cannot relate this to my quit. I already had it.
Sometimes crazy hormones can make you swell. I eperienced this 5 years ago and I took a light diuretic on my PMS day and after three months dissapeared.
I hope this helps, but I'm not a doctor,
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 139
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,085
Amount Saved: $208.50
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 18 Mins: 59 Seconds: 25

14 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the suggestions. I was just wondering if it was common or not. I also just read the forum called when will they end and find that people don't like these kinds of questions. Next Tuesday I suppose is when it will end. Whatever! I appreciate the help I got at first but feel my time here has past and that posts like that only make me want a smoke. Thanks alot and see you around. At least I wasn't bringing all my personal problems to you guys and whining about that.

Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 75
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,500
Amount Saved: $375.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 22 Mins: 49 Seconds: 27

14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
deb,

Although some members report feet and ankle swelling when they quit smoking, it is unknown if this is a side effect of quitting. It is also possible that this could be a reaction to another medication or quit aid that you may be using.

Members, has anyone else experienced this side effect? How long did it last for you?
Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Prolonged standing or sitting especially in hot weather may cause fluid accumulation in feet and legs. Take more breaks of movement can help.

Severe chronic lung disease such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis increases the pressure in the blood vessels to the lungs causing swelling in feet and legs.

I'd say you need to find a new doctor. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 358
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,444
Amount Saved: $1,933.20
Life Gained:
Days: 55 Hrs: 4 Mins: 55 Seconds: 2

14 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Has anyone else had this side effect from quitting smoking and if so, do you know what causes it and how long it lasts?
I went to the Dr. and he doesn't know.

Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 75
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,500
Amount Saved: $375.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 22 Mins: 35 Seconds: 16

Reading this thread: