Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Need a little rational

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, You've received some great advice from your fellow members. Generally we recommend you look at this like you did your cigarettes. In the prep stage of quitting, we instruct you to delay that cigarette and use other coping strategies in their place. The same applies for weaning yourself off the gum. Take your time and find out what works for you. How quickly you wean yourself off, again is up to you. You can go from 2 to 1 piece, 1 piece to half and half to a quarter or you can from 2 to 0 pieces. Do what you believe is best for you. Your fears regarding this issue are quite common. Becoming nicotine free can be daunting but just as others here have done it, you can too. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mercy I had a pretty crap day yesterday with one thing an another - then realized it was Friday 13th so put my hunger, bad mood, cravings down to that. In the evening a friend came to stay over and we sat outside. She had brought a bottle of wine with her and her nicotine gum. I had to stop drinking almost three years ago and have gone cold turkey on the smoking thing. She stopped smoking cigarettes 5 and a half years ago - and she is still on the gum. She asked me how did I feel and I said I would love to have a cigarette (Friday evening, end of a sunny day here etc etc) to which she replied 'Well have one then' She didn't feel it was right for me to be feeling so bad for the want of a bit of nicotine. Then she offered me some of her gum.(I didn't take it) I suppose I am writing this because what you seem to see as an irrational fear is nothing to beat yourself up about. You've gone 82 days and, as someone else said somewhere in this thread, it is a tiny bump on the road to get over and you want to do it - and you will. Not like my so-called friend!!! I don't know but I would have thought the substitute idea might work. Good luck and have nice weekend. :) Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �119 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mercy....ask yourself what happened when you gave up cigarettes? did any of these irrational things that you are now thinking happen to you?? Mercy, you are off the smokes....that is the main objective....now getting off this gum is just a bump in the road...don't let yourself be making it way more than it is. Calm those fears....if you chew a peice of that gum forever it won't really matter will it??? not that you will, mind you, but look at it this way.....it's nothing to work yourself into a frenzy over. I would ask myself which piece of this gum I was most in need of (or thought I was in need of) then I would use that one and substitute something else for the second piece. maybe some strong clove gum or hard candy....or hot cinnamon balls....or sour lemon candies?? Do NOT make a big deal of this, cause it isn't! You can wean yourself off that gum in a few weeks....the "fear" is what keeps you worrying. What is the fear??? it's groundless.....there IS nothing to fear. Keep telling yourself this.....either replace the gum or practice delaying using the gum? Keep yourself busy and don't let this become an issue in your head. It basically sounds to me like you just aren't quite ready to let go of the security blanket....and that is NO big deal....work on you "thinking" about it and just keep on keeping on. You are doing a wonderful job....don't think anything less and how about areward for all this hard work and those stats?? Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1926 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 77,053 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10978.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 254 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$158,949.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5342 Hours: 20

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is the whole point not that we are all different and need different things in our quit? That we are "allowed" whatever it takes to keep us quit? I know a woman who quit years ago. She kept a packet of ten in her cupboard while she quit so that she knew she had a fall back if she wanted. She never did want and finally binned the pack after a very long time. It's about 30 years since she quit! Personally, I could never have done that but it worked for her. It was her way of coping. I am a firm believer in you ending up doing things anyway when the time is right so why stress before hand? It's like wanting your baby to walk. They will in their own good time. I use lozenges. I am told you can use them for up to 9 months if you so desire. I am of the opinion that in due course, you would find yourself forgetting to take a piece of your gum and then at some point, forgetting to carry your gum and THAT is the point in time when those things are "right" for YOU. Meantime, if you suspect it's all just psychological, how about substituting one of the nicotine pieces for a piece of standard gum and seeing how that goes? Personally, and given how many times one hears of a former smoker relapsing some way down the line, I intend ALWAYS having some for of NRT in my house. Though obviously, that may change in time it's how I feel now. S [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 125 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,387 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �750 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't use the gum but patches. Stepping down each level, 21 to 14 to 7 to none, all equally difficult but it was over in a couple days. I used the 21 only for two weeks to avoid prolonging the inevitable. I really wanted to quit so I just got on with it. Please don't use the gum as a 'security blanket'! If you're ready to go, don't give yourself a 'fall back' but hold your head up and take that step. When I stepped down from 14 to 7, I wanted to time the final withdrawal to happen mostly over the weekend, so I could sleep, eat, pamper myself and be angry in private if need be. This left me with one extra 14 mg patch that I actually threw away to prevent the security blanket thing. But I was totally ready. Have a soul search to see if you are, then steel yourself and get on with it! If you still need a break on the gum times, have a cup of hot chocolate in the sun. Take a walk around the block and eat a rice cake. Whatever it takes. I know you can do it! x T [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 103 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,377 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �566.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mercy. I don't know much about the NRTs but it might be worth substituting one of the nic gums with a piece of regular gum. This way if it's just the gum habit, you can wean off of the NRT. Just a thought. Hopefully someone with NRT experience will hop on with better advice. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 191 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $61.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$119,552.36

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6402 Hours: 0

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys. O.K. I need someone to do a little logic talk with me. I have come this far and it is about to be 3 months. I used the patch and 3 pieces of gum for the first 4 days I quit. Then I stoped the patch...and continued to use about 3 pieces of gum. I continued this for all these weeks (2 to 3 pieces of gum) till last week. Then began using 2 pieces of gum. A couple of days I ony used 1 piece....but generally it is two. Sometimes I use one in the morning...and another when I get out of work. I can honestly say that when I have the crave it isn't that bad. I'm starting to think I put a piece of gum in my mouth as if it is preventative medicine. I mean...two silly pieces of gum. ..and...and.. I'm getting a fearful hangup about giving up 2 PIECES OF GUM. like..... what if I get out of work and I need it and it isn't there. Do people continue to carry the gum on them even if they give up the gum.....like a just incase insurance? Is my hangup...fear...normal? Should I expect terrible craves on giving up the two pieces of gum? I am usually pretty good on logic...but I am not coming up with anything. I don 't want to make a big deal of this. That is how hang-ups start. Am I giving up the gum too soon? Should I do two pieces for another month..and then one piece? Is there a recommended way? If so....at how many weeks....and how slowly do you give it up. Thanks Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 82 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,657 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $366.54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55

Reading this thread: