Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Using patches and withdraw

17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
None for me! I did quite well =) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,189 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $636 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$36,038.46

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 419 Hours: 20

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bobbi - The patches really worked for me. I felt some mild discomfort each time I stepped down. Physically, I didn't notice much difference at all between 7 mgs and nothing. Mentally, I was a little skeered when I finally realized that, for the first time in over 25 years, there was no nicotine in my system. All the best to you! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 220 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,418 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1100 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you are still on the patch or gum, then you are still hooked on nicotine. Regardless of how much you have in your system, stopping the nicotine source will start the withdrawal symptoms. I've always said that cold turkey is the hardest way to quit but it's the fastest way to get it out of your system. Good luck [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/28/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1056 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 31,706 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4224 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 196 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$29,519.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9838 Hours: 11

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bobbi, Some quitters do experience a few days of adjustment, others do not. If you do experience some nicotine withdrawals, they will not be as severe as going cold turkey because you're body is stepping off a lower dose of nicotine and has already withdrawn from all the other toxins smoking introduced. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bobbi, I think the idea behind the patch, and the gradual step-down, is that the prolonged process gives you time to deal with the psychological withdrawal/changes while also minimizing the physical withdrawal. It does take much longer, but the trade-off is that it's supposed to be easier. And I think it is easier, especially that initial week or two. I was on the 21 mg patch, but I was getting heart palpitations so I went to see my doctor and he told me that the patch was responsible. I went down to the 14 mg patch but after a week... I was still getting palpitations, so I went off the patch entirely. (The palpitations stopped within a day and have not returned) I barely noticed the physical withdrawal when I went from 14 mg to nothing. There was some... I was a bit more agitated, but overall... it was quite easy. Mind you... someone who was more sensitive to the withdrawal might tell you a different story. Anyway, I was on the patch for about three weeks, went off... and I'm just fine without it. Others will have another experience, but this is mine. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 32 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 816 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $296 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 710 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Need info on when a person goes off the patch after they use the 7 mg. does everyone have harder withdraws? are the patches just prolonging the withdraw symtoms that will come after patch use and be just like cold turkey? Bobbi need feedback [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 348 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bobbi, Congratulations on your 11 days, they look good on you. I used the patch, and I wore it for the full 10 weeks. After I took it off I had some mild cravings, nothing like cold turkey. I didn't have a problem with the patch. The only problem I had was bad dreams so I took it off at night. If you decide to continue to use it I wish you much success. I did have a problem keeping the patch on. So I used surgical tape. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 460 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,836 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1610 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 67 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$229,908.38

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 4

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was on the strongest patch for two weeks.. and just decided that as I was going through hell even with the patch I thought I might as well stop using them and beat the habit all by myself. As it was myself that stopped me walking into the shop to by the blasted things not the patch!! I was worried that I was doing the wrong thing but it did work for me. I had some set by in case I decided I needed one on. But to be honest I think I had got past the very worst of times by then. I did have some withdrawal but they could have been more psychological. I needed to know that I was the one stopping myself from smoking because I was worried that when I stopped the patches I would feel as bad. I really didn't. I'm sure you'll be fine. Deep breathing exercises. ;) :) You are doing fantastic. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 155 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,895 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �852.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53

Reading this thread: