Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

EXTREME MAKEOVER

17 years ago 0 231 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mercy, I think this is a great perspective and a very valid point. I had never really thought of it this way but you are right. We are essentially making ourselves over. One of the things I thought about doing was dating more but Mrs. PRB did not think that was an option :), just kidding. We are planning on retiring at the end of this year or at least retiring from what we do now and moving to the mountains. That is going to be a make over in and of itself. It was a major factor and motivation in my decision to stop smoking. Moving into this new phase of life I want to be able to make the most of it and enjoy it for as long as possible. I don't want it to center around smoking ! I saw my grandfather retire, sit at the end of the dinning room table playing solitaire all day and smoking Pall Malls. He did not last but about 10 years after he retired. Well I am not going down that road ! Thanks for your enlightening perspective, it puts a whole new and entertaining view on this challenge! Hang in there and keep the new thoughts coming. It is really helpful for those of us that are just getting started. Taking it one day at a time, PRB [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 256 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy - Thanks for writing this post. Just the reminder I needed to focus on the positive and the new life possibilities! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 834 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $149.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,350.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 12

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
High Five Mercy...your doing Great hon! these random thoughts are exactly what builds the strength you need to fight and reverse the psychology of this addiction. and...you just keep those thoughts coming when the revelation hits you. Your thoughts may be exactly what someone else is thinking, but perhaps may not be able to express it as well as you do. I don't get tired of reading your posts, and I'm sure no one else does either. and one other thing...there have been others before you who felt the same way, but may have said some things...just a little differently...so you are really contributing to newbies here... thanks, auntdeb ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 77 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,888 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $365.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys! I have another perspective to this again. This stupid stuff sort of pops up in my head. Must be that extra oxygen. BUT....BUT.... The cigarette advertizing industry did a pretty good job filling our heads up with an image. We bought the whole package.... not just the addiction. Our first cigarettes we FORCED down to accomplish this image. I mean..seriously... we did work at it. Our style of holding it..how we blew the smoke out...what case we put it in. It was all a work process to become something we wanted to exude. What are we packaging up for ourselves now?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't just about quiting...suffering...feeling leftout...outta sorts...tired and lost. No wonder we have a hard time. The mind is so very powerful. We have to want a new image. That exciting makeover. We watch shows on TV called "EXTREME MAKOVER" and we wish it could be us. What is our individual extreme makeover we have in mind as a ex smoker??? That image we want/have in our heads. It won't happen all at once.....but there needs to be that goal. It's an achievement thing. For some clean lungs is enough....but for others it's not. You don't see lungs. It's like the nose job. Sure you may breath easier and maybe not snore anymore.....but the real excitement is in the new snout!! For me...down the road I see a leaner..trimmer...powerwalker in snazzy workout cloths walking the neighborhood to keep fit. Something I didn't do as well as a smoker before. I see much whiter teeth. I already have been using the whitening strips. I am excited at how white my teeth are looking. I see a calmer more all together person. More focused and a cleaner conscience in Christ. How about you guys. New hairstyles?.... new cloths?.. new image?... Go out more?...date more?.... travel more?...more outdoor sports? Trying Kayaking as you have more endurance? If our furture image is only the misery we feel now, I can see how such a defeates attitude can kill a quit. This is just my thoughts. What are you guys seeing. Positive is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good for us. Lots of support and understanding for you all, (some for me too... I need it everyday off and on. I figure about 3 maybe 4 times a day I have to stay a little more focused to ward off though

Reading this thread: