Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Why and what I am going to do

17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi mate Well done keep going and keep smiling Marie in one of your idle moments could you knit me a virtual woolly hat and send it via the SSC Instant Messenger pls? I have quite a big head so you will need broadband. My wife says I get worse I think I have always been a clown but now I am a clown and smokeless!! Therapist in the morning I havent sent her insane yet but I am working on it!!! KEEP SMILING!!!! Me xx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 662 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �140.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sparky; Am very happy to see you posting. Good to see that new quit date is in 2 days too. I don�t think I�ll ever qualify to give advice on not smoking but I can talk about what is currently working for me. After failing multiple times I did have to beat myself up and then feel sorry for myself each time. I think feeling the guilt & remorse to a degree helps strengthen our next quit if not taken to an absurd level. This last time I also realized my confidence had been badly shaken. It�s one thing for me to stand there & declare I quit smoking. It�s another thing for me to actually stay quit. You know what I mean, doing the same thing over & over, expecting different results . . . So every time I did fail I had to look at what didn�t work, what seemed to work but most importantly at what could I do differently. I also tried welbutrin on the first quit, it didn�t phase me. Too many brain cells burnt out for medications to affect me I suppose . Never even considered NRTs since I noticed when I tried to cut down on smoking, I reacted by chain smoking! Moderation is not a word in my vocabulary when it comes to an addiction - LOL. So I continue to choose cold turkey since it gets the detox over with quickly (in my mind anyway). Some of what I did differently this time was ask my husband to help by not smoking cigars in the house. I did not ask him to quit but he did so, as he saw that my being around smokers drove me up a wall. Being around smokers was exactly the scenario I was in when I last slipped. I had to admit I just can't handle that right now. Then I saw a post where older members on the board offered to mentor new or struggling members. (I�ve bumped it for you � if you decide to use that tool, post a request for a mentor or ask for a specific member, they will answer you). Working one on one is a tried & true method for me so I asked for help in that thread. You see I�m not very comfortable posting publicly about questions I have or issues with smoking cessation . . . so using a mentor was ideal for me plus the info & tips passed on in this manner has helped beyond belief. I do continue to try to post as much as possible, even though you�ll rarely see me start a thread. I�ve found posting on the board (whether I make any sen
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rvdman great idea I have knitted a whole set of baby blankets and hats and sweaters and socks, 1 niece just had a baby and another one pregnant so it helps keep the hands busy. :)Chow [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 85 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,289 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $340 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First of all I want to thank all of you for your kindness. I am still trying to answer some questions. I do know now a major triger and I will have to work on that one big time. My husband even realizes now how big of stress factor it is for me. Not sure how I am going to handle this next quit. I have tried Zyban, patches, gum, smoke away and cold turkey. I did have some sucess with the patches, but each time I stepped down I went though withdrawal and would give up. I have printed off quite a bit of reading material. Thought I would get up and do some reading before I start my day and do some more though out the day. I do drink a lot of water, I walk about 3 miles almost everyday, I drink green tea, I breath and I pray. So I will have to answer some hard question before the 9th. Anyway I am trying very hard not to beat myself up, but I guess that goes with a slip - smoking. So again a very heart felt thank-you to all of you. I think is so cool to have this site to come to. You guys rock. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky Do you knit? There is a whole group here in this city that knits instead of smoking. Doing something radically different that will take your mind off of the smoking and put it into something productive and effective at redirecting your thoughts. A shot in the dark. I hope that you stick aroung and keep letting us know how you are doing. The ninth is just around the corner. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 201 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,036 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1507.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky, Have you read through our online quit program? Our program will first help you determine if you're ready to quit. If you've already quit and are looking for some help, don't worry :)this program is designed to help you succeed. Although the program will first assess if you're ready to quit, the exercises at the beginning of the program will help remind you of the reasons why you quit in the first place. Don't get frustrated, ex-smokers have told us that the exercises at the beginning of the program gave them confidence and helped them reaffirm their personal commitment to remain smoke free. When you reach Milestone 4 you'll record your quit date. It doesn't matter if your quit date is today, a few weeks from now, or some time in the past. We hope that we have given you some information today that will help you move forward to understanding your quit :). Please continue to post your questions and concerns with us. We are all here to help each other maintain our quits! Take care, Melanie _______________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: