Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

zyban - pros and cons

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ally, Your best resources would be your family doctor and your pharmacist. Utilize these two members of the medical field, with them you will the best medical advice. Take Care, Melanie _____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much, taking all of your info on board, i have decided to give the patches a real go. Either way, i know eventually i will have to face the nicotine withdrawl, so i will do it a day at a time with the patches by slowly cutting them down. It has got to be better than smoking. Thanks again, I will keep in touch. ALLY
18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am keen to give up smoking, as my husband has given up on Zyban with no side effects. He has had no cravings and no mood swings. I would love to try this but i am scared of the side effects being seizures. Does any one know of a similar drug, that can be used that does not have as many bad side effects. I know i can give up the habit, i just can not face the withdrawls.
18 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Ally: You really should check with your Doctor if you are concerned with any side effects. Research the quit methods out there as much as you can and arm yourself with this information. I used the patch and hardly had any cravings. I mainly had to work on the bad habit part. Each person is totally different in thier reaction to the different methods out there. I am cutting down patch earlier as I have developed a skin allergy, not just rash, more like a bad sunburn. Dr. said to wean off faster, so here I go. Good luck in your efforts to quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,060 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $110.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
  • Quit Meter

$20,640.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 415 Hours: 13

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would highly recommend using the Zyban. I tried qutting without and had awful withrdawal symptoms. This time i'm on Wellbutrin and so far it has been a completely different quit...still not easy, but much easier. Helps tremendously with the anxiety symptoms. Takes a week or so to get used to it in your symptom but worth a couple of days of discomfort. Unfortunately, same side effects apply as the Zyban. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 181 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 563 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ally, Quitting is all about attitude and desire. If you are there and 100% commited to your quit it won't matter what method you choose. Over the years I tried several different methods to assist me in my quit. I was on Wellbutrin and broke out into some nasty hives. My reaction is not typical, but none the less, that ended my used of Wellbutrin. I ended up finally quitting by using the patch. It did what it is intended to do and that is to ease the cravings. I supplied the strength, determination, commmitment and positive attitude and the patches did the rest. Best wishes. [b][color=Purple]Be Strong. Be Smart. Be Quit[/color] [color=black]Joe[/color] [size=3][color=Blue]Knowledge Replaces Fear[/color][/size] [size=2][color=black]Illegitimus non carborundum est[/color][/size][/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 314 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,858 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $769.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 55 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$36,322.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9765 Hours: 10

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Ally. First, Zyban = Wellbutrin. They are both bupropion, so they have the same side effects. Here's the history according to my doctor. During the clinical trials of Wellbutrin, some of the subjects in the test (received Wellbutrin) and control (received placebo) groups quit smoking just as a matter of course. The researchers noticed that the quitters in the test group had an easier time and were more successful overall than those in the control group. But Wellbutrin was an anti-depressant and many people who were not clinically depressed didn't want to take it. So they repackaged the bupropion as Zyban for those people. Zyban works by altering brain chemistry. The theory is that it stimulates the same areas of the brain that nicotine stimulated, thus reducing your need for nicotine. If everyone were the same, then everyone would react the same to it. They don't. Some people loose all desire for a cig and smoking actually becomes repulsive almost immediately. Others go through craves just like someone quitting cold turkey. Some people do fine until they go off the Zyban, then get hit with nicotine craves as if they are withdrawing from the drug. Some become suicidal, some depressed. I quit using Wellbutrin XL for the first month and a half. I started a week before my quit date and continued for another 4 weeks, or so. Then one day I had a reality perception/vision incident that scared me pretty bad so I reduced my dosage to 1/2 for a week, then stopped it altogether. In retrospect, I do not regret taking it because it gave me a crutch I needed to start. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. If you do decide on Zyban, let others know so they can keep an eye on you for things such as excessive mood swings, etc. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 305 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1159 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6

Reading this thread: