Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Drop back and punt

18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found this info......I think it will help you with your guilt of reaching for a nic lozenge vs a smoke: [i]The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke. Forty-three known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both. One lozenge won't cause you to go thru Hell Week all over again....if you had sucked down the entire box, well.....that's a different story! You should be very proud of yourself with what you WERE able to accomplish. You did not smoke. Take care, you've beaten this once. You know what the drill is!!! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $182.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whew! At around the 55th day, the cravings hit. They came in waves, and I don't know why. Boredom, maybe. As most of you know, I fractured my pelvis, so that limits my activity. Anyway, when the cravings hit, I tried to read, watch TV, anything to get my mind going in another direction. I came up here to this forum and read for a long time each day. Nothing seemed to work, I wanted a cigarette. I started telling myself how much better I felt when I smoked, I sure didn't feel like this. But I did forget how bad I felt, coughing, gagging when I tried to talk in cold weather, etc. If I could just smoke one, surely it wouldn't hurt, and it would relieve this craving. But I couldn't drive, and my wife surely wouldn't go get me a pack. In desperation, I remember a partial box of nicotine lozenges. I got one, it worked. I used a couple of these. I don't know if this was the right thing to do, but it worked for me. I know I can't resort to the lozenges every time a crave hits. But that one time it got me through. Bill [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/14/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,490 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $372 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 211 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bill In my opinion you did the right thing. You could so easily have caved and you didn't. Yes I know you got the NRT, but that is still way better than lighting up. Some may disagree with that and I'm no expert but I think you have to do what it takes to keep from smoking that 1st cig again. Stay close to this site and let us know how you are. vicki just 1 puff away from 2 packs a day [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,613 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
18 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
good going, Bill! I am still using NRT (gum) off and on because I am afraid not to. (huh??) anyway, I talked to my doc about it, and he was not concerned. Am alternating with regular gum and beginning to cut down. You really did the right thing!! :) (in my mind, anyway!!) I am sure others will have different opinions, which makes this site so interesting!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,613 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $780 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Bill. It seems some people hit a rough spot around 60 days. You did and got through. I agree that the boredom played a big part in the craves. Too bad nobody's been able to add it (Boredom) to HALT. BLATH, maybe? ;p I think the lozenge was the right choice. Just enough to take the edge off when the crave gets unbearable. Keep up the good quit, Bill. :) Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 237 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,751 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $900.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24

Reading this thread: