Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Pulling myself out of the FUNK

15 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ooooh, I forgot to include song lyrics--- Here is where my head is at today--- Spinning Wheel by Blood, Sweat and Tears:

What goes up must come down
Spinnin' wheel got to go 'round
Talkin' 'bout your troubles it's a cryin' sin
Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel spin

You got no money and you got no home
Spinnin' wheel all alone
Talkin' 'bout your troubles and you never learn
Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel turn

Did you find the directing sign on the
Straight and narrow highway
Would you mind a reflecting sign
Just let it shine within your mind
And show you the colors that are real

Someone is waiting just for you
Spinnin' wheel, spinnin' true

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 53
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,120
Amount Saved: $954.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 0 Mins: 4 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey All. Thanks for the awesome responses, as always. I was thinking about Pupikat's comments... As I am looking at it as a health push, not a"Quit Smoking/Lose Weight/Go to Gym" thing, it does make it easier for me. Also, I am flexible. That is key to survival. I wrote about my one cigarette lapse, about my cravings, about the need for it in tough times. I feel like Rocky when Drago looks at him, and says, "I will Break YOU". Well, I'm in that Rocky Training/Music Montage--- You know, the one where he's dragging the logs and running up the mountains and they keep cutting to Drago getting pumped with the steroids. Sense of humor, positive attitude and never let anything get to serious.

Which, means, of course, that my next comment will be serious.

I recommend a book called "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. It is a great book for a number of reasons and has much that might help with your quit. Towards the end of the book, Dr. Gladwell talks about the links between Cigarettes, Nicotine and Depression. That people who smoke might be self medicating for depression. I know that was one of the many reasons I was a SMOKER. I mentioned in early posts that I have Multiple Sclerosis, that a symptom of that is depression, and that the medicine I was on, BetaSeron, has a side effect of Depression/Suicide. I am on Lexapro, an anti-depressent but I always felt the cigarettes were helping more then they were hurting.

So, getting to the point, (maybe) of this rambling post. There are as many reasons not to quit, to make a lifestyle change as there are not to. You just have to make the choice.

I have also talked about how I am a follower of the Discordian Movement and subscribe a lot of my beliefs to that philosphy. One of the most important tenents is that the Imposition of ORDER=Escalation of CHAOS.... We must find balance, we must keep to our quits, but we musn't become our quits. We must keep a perspective. We must keep humor involved.

I think this is more of a free thought post, but hey, I bumped from 14mg patches to 7mg today, so role with me please!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 53
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,120
Amount Saved: $954.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 0 Mins: 4 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Api,
I'd like to tell you how proud I am of you.  What a good job you've done to beat this addiction into it's corner.  I know you'll do your best to keep it there.  You're also doing a great job and making the best of what life is throwing at you.  I think most of us struggle with our weight when we quit.  Someone here said "I can lose the weight later, but I can't lose emphysema".  Smoking would only cost you time and money and it sounds like you can't afford to spare either right now. 

Your song lyrics really do say so very much as Faryal has pointed out.  Staying positive is the best thing you can do.  Sometimes it's easier said than done, but do a search online for positive thinking....there are tons of sites with practical things you can do to improve your spirits and your opportunities for the future.  Self talk, mantras, positive projections have worked for so many of us when times are tough...give it a try...you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Should your job dry up, maybe it's time for a total change of careers or a slight move to a different area of your specialty?  Can you have a look in your local papers or online to see if anything interests you even if there aren't any job postings at the moment?  School, an apprenticeship, starting your own buisness, something or anything might spark an idea.  One thing I know for sure is that when one door closes in our lives, another one opens.  We don't always like seeing the door close but if we look around, we'll eventually find the new one opening.  Search out your options and think about what you can do if "the worst case scenario" ever happens.  Fear of the unknown is what makes me anxious.  Maybe having a "back up plan" or two will help you feel more confident. 

Whatever happens, you strike me as the kind of person who'll find a way to make things work.  Sometimes just asking for help does the trick.  We're all here to help you if we can.  We might not have a specific job for you, but who knows, maybe someone will point you in the right direction.

Hope you're out of your funk soon.
All the best.

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 730
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 29,200
Amount Saved: $14,600.00
Life Gained:
Days: 95 Hrs: 20 Mins: 7 Seconds: 14

• Quit Meter

$121,344.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 11

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Api, i hate that Funk thing, been there alot, but good job pulling yourself out, you are doing a gret Job, i will see you over on FB as soon as i can get there Good looking Numbers on your stats :) tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2364
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 56,736
Amount Saved: $9,928.80
Life Gained:
Days: 307 Hrs: 2 Mins: 38 Seconds: 33

15 years ago 0 145 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Api,
Wow, You sure have a lot going on. I think you seem to be handling everything, but just consider that maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself. I do not mean to discourage you in any way, but quiting smoking is hard enough by itself. Are you giving yourself any rewards? if so what? If not, why not? That is one of the most important parts of this program. The purpose for it is chemical, that has been shut off by nicotine. There are some great posts dealing with that here and would do you good to look it up, or perhaps someone can look it up for you and bring it forward. Many of us here choose some of our rewards as food , maybe chocolates, etc. I do not want you to fail, and your main goal was to quit smoking. I realize it may make sense to overhaul yourself and do a complete health overhaul, but with so many other things going on right now, perhaps that is something you can deal with when you do not have so many other serious issues to deal with. Stop smoking should be your top priority, and many of us can barely handle that. Throw in the health overhaul, well I am afraid it might be to much with your job insecurity now.
Of course you need to do as you believe and I wish always all good things for you. I do truly want success to be yours, and Freedom is in your grasp. Take care of yourself and be good to yourself. You are worth it and you do most certainly deserve it.
Huggles,
Pupikat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 181
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,068
Amount Saved: $1,330.35
Life Gained:
Days: 21 Hrs: 10 Mins: 7 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Api - I hope this finds you feeling well.  You are such an inspiration to me.  I love your attitude (and your lyrics).  You've done very well to remain smoke free when it would have been easy to fall back into the same routine of comforting yourself with cigarettes.  Look at those numbers...52 days smoke free!!  That's quite an accomplishment and you have a lot to be proud of.  No matter what happens with our health, our job or our life in general  - smoking will not make it better will it?  Only worse!

Great job!  We're here for you.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 28
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 336
Amount Saved: $147.84
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 13 Mins: 27 Seconds: 19

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Apikoros,

Hope you are feeling better health-wise.

Your lyrics are very telling - say them to yourself often and keep your chin up! You have worked very hard to get to this point and your struggle will pay off. Stay positive.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Api keep on doing what you're doing- it's great to hear you haven't resorted to your old habit and I love your lyrics too ( and I love the Kinks)
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 262
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,550
Amount Saved: $3,930.00
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 22 Mins: 40 Seconds: 24

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep climbing Api...........

This is one of those times in life where it would be easy to slide back to the old familiar way of dealing with stress.  So glad you are sharing your story here instead.  Hopefully putting your thoughts down here will not only help you work your way through your situation, but also show others that it can be done, without going back to the smokes for that false comfort.  I know it is not easy at times, but you are doing it Api.

Congrats to you for that!!!

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 435
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,525
Amount Saved: $1,468.13
Life Gained:
Days: 70 Hrs: 22 Mins: 43 Seconds: 43

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Api, you're a trooper keeping your head high and your spirits up!  Your posting reminds me of a duck.  It looks as graceful as can be floating across the top of the lake, but underneath it is swimming as fast as it can!  I'm glad that even with all that life is throwing your way that you are remaining smoke free.  And in the big picture, would smoking actually help anything?  NOPE!!!  Hang in there buddy, you're doing great!  And you are an inspiration to so many of us struggling with different issues.  You are showing us that it can be done!  And what wonderful lyrics you've shared with us!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 160
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,400
Amount Saved: $1,280.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 21 Mins: 54 Seconds: 52

Reading this thread: