Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,136 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Mimi34, istruggle4life, schcgtest1, FeelingD0wn, monopolygou4gm

Stress and trying to cope

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly.............

Don't know what to say except try not to let your self think about anything except solid information from the docs.  One can go crazy with all the internet info out there regarding medical things.  My brother has pancreatitis and in his case it is treatable and has not been a problem to deal with.  Please accept a hug. . I'll keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers.  Please let us know how things go the next few days.

your friend and neighbor............Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 430
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,450
Amount Saved: $1,451.25
Life Gained:
Days: 70 Hrs: 3 Mins: 46 Seconds: 29

15 years ago 0 1387 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly:
   I will keep both you and your son in my pryers. Your son that the news gets better and you that you have the strength to cope with the craves.  Please know that we are here for you.
Kaiser

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 176
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,400
Amount Saved: $220.00
Life Gained:
Days: 35 Hrs: 13 Mins: 10 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly,

Sorry about your son's health condition...I hope his prognosis changes for the better.  You are understandibly stressed and it is good to hear that you find this SSC support group helpful during this difficult time.  Keep up your fight with the cravings and take some time out for yourself to recoup.  Our thoughts are with you and your son .

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ah, (((((Kelly))))) so sorry to hear this.  I know how upset you must be but pancreatitis is a treatable condition and he has youth on his side.  One of my friends, a much older woman than your son, went through a severe attack before Christmas and was hospitalized for several days.  She is fine now and under the care of a doctor.  Since your son's diagnosis was only made today, take a deep breath and talk with his doctor.  There was just an article I read somewhere about people searching the net for health questions.  In my experience, the people who can answer them are the ones treating the person, the rest is more or less generic.

I hold you in my thoughts and prayers.

ML

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 427
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,540
Amount Saved: $2,647.40
Life Gained:
Days: 55 Hrs: 19 Mins: 42 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly, while I was typing good news you were typing not so good news.  Sorry to hear what your son is going through and the stresses that it is causing.  I hope you can get some second opinions to confirm the root cause of your son's ailment so a proper treatment plan can be put into place.  I'm so glad that you are fighting the cravings, knowing that having a cigarette won't help your son in any way.  Please know that I am thinking of you and sending thoughts and prayers to both you and your son.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 155
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,200
Amount Saved: $1,240.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 4 Mins: 34 Seconds: 6

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have not started a new thread in a very long time, instead I just enjoy reading all the posts and like to post a comment when time allows.  Today, however is a day of stress that I am having a hard time coping with.

My son has been having problems with his stomach since Thanksgiving, pain, diarreah and vomiting.  My husband blew it off and kept saying it was a bug.  It finally got really bad the other night and I took him to the doctor yesterday against my husbands wishes. 

The verdict so far is that he has Pancreatitis.  He is 12 and I don't understand this.  Today he had ultrasounds to check for a cause.  I can help treat his symptoms, but from what I have read, if it isn't just an acute attack, it becomes chronic and that is where my stress comes in.  Most that have chronic pancreatitis only have a 7 year survival rate.  I am beside myself.  My son already has anxiety issues just like me, so I can't let him see how worried I am, it can only worsen his problem.  I decided to stop looking up information on the internet because it only made me feel worse.

Anyhow, this has been very stressful for me and that is always a trigger, however, I associate anxiety and stress with craving a cigarette, but I want to smoke one.  It is odd for me.  I have association craves, but I recognize them for what they are and I don't want to smoke a cigarette.  Besides, that would not help my son in any way at all. 

This is the only place I could think of to come for support.

Thanks for listening.

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 413
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,390
Amount Saved: $1,548.75
Life Gained:
Days: 34 Hrs: 9 Mins: 34 Seconds: 23

Reading this thread: