Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Cold Turkey

15 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit cold turkey and then got the Allen Carr book - so while I didn't quit with his method, I credit his book along with the support of this site for keeping me quit.  Take what you need, and leave the rest - people say that a lot here, but you can even apply it to your current question.  there's no reason you can't use Carr's method with the patch.  Just as I used it with the SSC, and willpower.  No one blanket solution fits every single person, so don't worry too much abotu it all.  Just do what works for Ron.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/17/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 703
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 52,725
Amount Saved: $13,181.25
Life Gained:
Days: 62 Hrs: 18 Mins: 29 Seconds: 55

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really have to give much credit to those of you who quit cold turkey.  I tried doing that a very long time ago but didn't make it.  When the patches came out, I didn't want to use them because I would rather smoke and get my nicotine fix in that way.  What it all boiled down to was that I really didn't want to quit.  When I had my epiphany of seeing the butts in the ashtray which were just lit, burned down and put out, I realized what I was doing and finally became serious about quitting.  But, and a big but, I didn't think I could go cold turkey, so I had a talk with my doctor and she gave me a prescription for Chantix - my miracle drug.

But, having said all that, it really boils down to whether or not I wanted to quit - and I did.  So I stuck with it even when I didn't finish the course of Chantix.  This was something I really wanted to do.  I've had bad cravings at times, emotional issues which, in the old days, ciggies would have seen me through, and I'm still not smoking.  It hasn't been easy but I'm really motivated.  Now when the cravings come, which are fewer and fewer, but still intense, I divert my attention to something else and they go away.

Good luck to you, Ron, but I know you can do it after reading your posts.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 208
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,160
Amount Saved: $1,289.60
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 17 Mins: 33 Seconds: 16

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ron I am just really going to second what all the other guys have said that whatever way you choose is the right way for you.
I read your post and its thorough and very detailed and you have obviously thought long and hard about preparing for your quit (which is half the battle over)
I too read Allen Carr's book and loved it as he doesnt preach and he's on our side- but although his words were great grounding for me preparing for my quit I felt that my best chance was if I was on the patches and sticking to the 12 week programme and, I am happy to say, its working for me.
Also as I often say the support and encouragement from this site was invaluable and I can't tell you enough to drop by regularly to share all you are experiencing- good or not so good, as I can guarantee one of us will know exactly what you mean.
Good Luck Ron- you can/will do it!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 38
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 950
Amount Saved: $570.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 12 Mins: 45 Seconds: 42

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Ron,
    I think that your close analysis of the smoking you're doing lately is a good base point for you to remember when you do quit...whether it's today or this Thursday. Any method of quitting is good.. I stopped very well with Champix/Chantix and the support of this site.  I believe in keeping the focus on your quit even to the point of obsessiveness; fact is that that you're saving your life and I can't think of anything more important to do as a smoker than to stop it and stay stopped!

P

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,775
Amount Saved: $1,698.75
Life Gained:
Days: 28 Hrs: 2 Mins: 11 Seconds: 39

15 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ron,

If you want to be quit more than you want to smoke you will give yourself every chance of succeeding - mindset is so important.

Hold on to your hat because you are in for a bumpy ride early but when the road evens out, the view is spectacular! Don't miss it!

Good Luck!
Penitent, 1490 Cold Turkey days!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/18/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1490
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 37,250
Amount Saved: �9,312.50
Life Gained:
Days: 242 Hrs: 21 Mins: 13 Seconds: 52

• Quit Meter

$56,848.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 22

Minutes: 31 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ron
 i won't sugar coat it , a loy of times you'll be excited about quitting and it'll be easy , at other times you're stomach might turn into knots.
but those rough times go away pretty quick with some coping plans.like drinking ice water , eating healthy snacks , sucking on candy , in other words diversions.

and each day it gets easier and the cravings tend to last for shorter time periods.

you can do  , good luck.
mike / astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 96
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,880
Amount Saved: $864.00
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 18 Mins: 11 Seconds: 32

15 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the responses. I had not until now heard from anyone on the board going Cold Turkey. What I am getting from everyone that number one issue is to have it set in your mind that you want to quit and will do anything it takes to do so. Obviously I am not going to die from not having nicotine  or not smoking so I will survive.  I guess my biggest fear right now is thinking the days ahead are going to be very slow. The last days I've tried to cut back and I keep feeling this heat coming out of my body and I'm getting a sense that it is going to be a little uncomfortable to do this. I'm writing down every cigarette I'm smoking and frankly I haven't enjoyed any of them. I'm feeling withdrawal almost right after I'm smoking a cigarette and thinking how smoking does absolutely nothing for me. My tongue feels tingly, I'm sweating every time I take a smoke.  What's good with all this noticing and documenting is what I thought about cigarettes is changing very quickly by paying attention. The other thing that I'm going to do is when I stop I am going to visualize every withdrawal I go through as starving off the Nicotine Monster. I'm going to say great, it's working, I'm getting rid of the nicotine. The stronger they come the stronger I'm going to starve them off.  Anyway wish me well. I've got 7 left in my pack and a quit date not until Thursday. Not sure I want to buy another pack and drag this until Thursday. I almost think thinking about it is not helping me here. I want to know exactly what it's going to be like when I stop and I think the only way to know this is going to be to just do it and let whatever happens be ok.
Ron

15 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi there.....i think that once you've made the SERIOUS decision to quit - the method is not as important as the action. I did it cold turkey - (this is only the second time i have tried in my 35 years of smoking) - the first being back in the 80's and i don't think any choices were available to me so i did it cold turkey then - and again, this time.  the first time i lasted 10 years - got dumb - had the 'one cigarette just to see' and smoked again until february 7th 2008.   i am now on day 130 and doing okay...some days are better than others...there are actually days when i never think of a cigarette and there are still days when i wonder how i am going to get through it without caving.   I was concerned about the patches, gum, pills, lozenges as i thought it would be another habit to break....so i never considered them an option...if i wanted to stop smoking it had to be all or nothing.   willpower is important and not beating yourself up is important too....it's an addiction - physical and mental - take one day at a time and you will get through it.  we are all behind you....no matter what you do to stop smoking....you are doing it and that is all that counts.  good luck!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 130
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,900
Amount Saved: $1,657.50
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 20 Mins: 2 Seconds: 14

• Quit Meter

$7,241.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 800 Hours: 3

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey ron;
how 'bout the playoff? tiger +1 , rocco +3 thru 11.

i like both these guys so i'm just enjoying the drama. my first ''no smoking u.s. open in 33 years.

mike / astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 96
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,880
Amount Saved: $864.00
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 17 Mins: 44 Seconds: 27

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ron,

There is no one method that is better than the other and thus there is no one way to quit.  Whatever helps you and your body keep the quit!  Check with your doctor and come up with a plan that is right for you and your body.  Your mind is a powerful tool, so educate it with knowledge and support

Josie, Health Educator

Reading this thread: