Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,478 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Extra Extra

16 years ago 0 1000 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear, I guess we do lose some of out identity when we stop smoking. I think I am the only female where I work who doesn't smoke. I am not only not outside with them for smoke breaks but have noticed I am included in less and less of their activities during the day. I don't think I changed that much I think it is that they think I have changed. I think the smokers put up more of a wall than we do. Anyway glad to be inside in the bad weather. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 283 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,490 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,759.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
16 years ago 0 317 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Personally, I hated being identified as a smoker. I was embarrassed by it, and tried to hide it at times. I'm proud of my new nonsmoking identity! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 74 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $370.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bear, I couldn't agree with the people more. Until we come to grips with the fact that it's not just giving up a habit...but an identity change people will continue to struggle. We do "change" and had to "change" just to make this "change". Now....don't get me wrong. That's NOT BAD.... just different. We all made subtle (or perhaps drastic) changes in our identities. How we went about it and what we strived to become is very individual. .....But...but... the change was needed to succeed. It's O.K. to miss certain aspects of who we were...but likewise,it's O.K. to like certain aspects of the newly forming person. Just a thought, Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 341 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,524.27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 1093 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know two people, both were close to me before I quit. Both say they don't want to quit smoking and both say they smoke because they enjoy it. Both are intelligent and 39 years old. Both know the consequences of smoking. One of them had a father who smoked but quit due to esophageal cancer. One is male. One is female. I think sometimes we enter into a state of denial and possibly delusion in order to continue to do things that are obviously dangerous and/or have a negative effect on our lives. This survey only confirms that theory for me. Otherwise, how would people be able to continue in addiction? They/we have to justify it someway. I wonder if same 70%-ish who answered those questions that way will answer some of them differently when/if they get to a point where they are ready to quit. I have to admit... I had a strong emotional attachment to smoking and viewed it as part of my identity (in fact, I am struggling a little with that one now). I would have welcomed a magic nrt. Okay, not quite the same. I wasn't afraid I would lose my identity, lifestyle and social interaction...However, It did change my lifestyle and social interaction. Those two people I mentioned in the first paragraph - well, they don't speak to me anymore and it wasn't because I became a different person or "one of those ex-smokers". I was really careful about that. My identity? Like I said before, I'm learning about that now. I hope this doesn't sound negative. I wouldn't trade any of it. Not for anything! Even those horrible first few days. Maybe it can all be summed up with what Sparky calls "stinkin' thinkin'". Addiction sucks! I am so grateful to be here fighting and winning! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 125 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $731.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Actually, that sounds like it was answered by fifteen year olds. Really, when you look closesly at those answers, they didn't come from anyone over thirty! Must have been a highschool survey! Seriously! How many 'smokers' do you know who are 'trying to quit', or would like to quit, my guess is all of them! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 297 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,133.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder how many advertising dollars the tobacco Industry spends with your local paper? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $704.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote]In addition,70% said they wanted a nicotine replacment therapy that could help them give up smoking without losing their passion for living. Results also revealed that many smokers would like to quit,but were afraid that they would loss their identity, lifestyle and social interaction.[/quote] W t h??? Pretty hard to have a passion for living if you're dead. Not easy to keep up your lifestyle and social interaction while dragging an oxygen tank around. Just shows that smoking and logic are not close, personal friends. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 227 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,497.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad I am passed the all of that mumbo jumbo!!! Now I am just an annoying ex-smoker.... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 353 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,295 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,482.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 32 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This information appeared in our local newspaper. Apparently 1 out of 5 Canadians over the age of 15 still choose to smoke inspite of smoking bans,increased cigarette taxes and public health warnings. A recent global survey of 2200 smokers revealed that despite being fully aware of the health implications of smoking, most smokers have a strong emotional attachment to smoking and view it as part of their identity. More than 70% of those surveyed percieve smokers as more adventurous and fun and more than 60% see smokers as more individualistic. In addition,70% said they wanted a nicotine replacment therapy that could help them give up smoking without losing their passion for living. Results also revealed that many smokers would like to quit,but were afraid that they would loss their identity, lifestyle and social interaction. Just so you know. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 282 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,076 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,820.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 64 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13

Reading this thread: