Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

And the hits keep on coming

16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know for sure you are over it !! They don't last long, even tho they're intense. I love getting past each one, even tho I don't like the feeling when it hits. You know the secret of quitting :):) you have done so well girl, and its good to see you succeed in your quit, it wont be long we will be celebrating your anniv, YIPPIE :):) Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1962 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,867.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 276 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$14,606.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 689 Hours: 22

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You know, early in my quit, a woman (her name escapes me) posted here that she had started smoking again. She had been quit for a year and a few days. She went out to supper with a friend, and she and this friend hadn't been out to supper since she quit. Said friend went outside to have a smoke, and the poster just grabbed the cigarette out of her friend's hand and began smoking it! Wham! Now a smoker again! Just like that - a year of hard work was gone! That post struck me very deeply, so these "triggers" have been something that I've worked especially hard on. My personal coping method has been to recognise them and replace them. "Oh, I used to smoke when this happened... time to go outside for a while, or ... time to have a nap!" If you try to ignore them, I think they just hang out there in your subconscious, or get replaced with something negative like stressing or yelling or something. Just acknowledge them with understanding and compassion and replace them with a new behavior. Recognize & Replace! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 523 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9,806.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the replies, Mr Ed, Tresa, and Martha, I guess I just wanted some reassurance that these "hit over the head" moments were in the normal range, and that they eventually mean nothing. I don't want anyone to get the idea that they are all-consuming like they used to be. They don't last long, even tho they're intense. I love getting past each one, even tho I don't like the feeling when it hits. And Martha, like, I'm so totally over it ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 275 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,870.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
16 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aloha, Hi! Just as Tresa and Mr. Ed said - they do go away. I don't think there is any way to think that we can anticipate every association that we had with smoking because there were just too many. Some we never even knew we had. I had been quit for I guess about a year when I was driving to school and it happened that the sun was in a particular spot in the sky and I was in a particular spot on the freeway and I started thinking about smoking. It took a minute to figure out what was going on but I had just done it so many times before that my mind wanted to fill in the missing element...cigarette. I think we have these associations with so many other things - sounds, smells, people, places - but with smoking we want to just clean the slate. It won't happen for a looooong time. Only our reaction can change and your craves will eventually just turn into veiled, distant thoughts. You've already seen that happen with some of your more frequently encountered craves. The same is true for the more hidden ones. Sounds like you are right on track. And fast approaching a year! That is like totally awesome for sure doooood ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1234 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5,553.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 94 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$37,056.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 640 Hours: 21

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well i know from experience it does take a while, its like out of no where one comes in to slap you on the side of the head, after a while you will think ( Now where in the Heck did that come from ??) the secret is just get past it, it just gets better with time. i think sometimes people get discouraged at this time in their quits and start again but its like a breaking point, the quit is quit, so iam glad you are determined to sta quit.Humm i have to wonder if ive made any sence at all here ??? I need to keep my post short and sweet LOL Tresa [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1962 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,867.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 276 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
  • Quit Meter

$14,606.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 689 Hours: 22

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In the earlier days of my quit I kept a diary of how I felt. However, I stopped doing this because I thought that as long as I analysed my feelings I would not be truly free. And those smoking thoughts gradually faded away. How long does that take? I can't say. One thing that I learned along the way is that the key to quitting is acceptance, accept that you will have bad days, even accept that the first year won't be remembered as one of your best ones, accept that the triggers will come and go and remember NOPE. And any new quitters reading this and thinking 'It's OK for him to talk like that with nearly 2 years quit', just remember where you are, I have been there, done it and got the T-shirt. I remember following similar advice when I was new here, now it's my turn.. Merry Christmas [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 677 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,310 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5,077.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 108 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 710 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am also with you Aloha and Kita, do they ever go away right now I say a for sure NO, but I do hope and pray I am so wrong! My worst times are if I am put in a bad situation, like if hubby and I have a few words, daughters get upset, real upset, about something. Like the other night I was at my daughters home taking care of the baby and she and hubby were out shopping, she came in they had had an arguement, he left for awhile, she was beside herself and crying, oh the first thing was this VERY strong urge of I need a cig. of course didn't, the happy times, boredome and many more in the beginning all bothered me but now they are much better, but oh the others are still very hard with the want cravings, I hate having to fight all the time not to smoke, just wish it would all go away and could feel normal. but it is still NOPE, just sure wears me out, oh well I guess this is now the life I choose 8 mo. ago, and what a great choice I made no matter what the fight, keep thinking could be fighting to breathe and I would really have something to complain about, right, right! Friends of ours, the wife died of lung cancer, found out last Feb. died in Oct. another friend of mine, found out her mother now has lung cancer, both were smokers. oh why did any of us ever have to smoke! Is good to hear others that have quit in March still have craves. sometimes I feel like at times I feel like there has to be something wrong with me to still have craves so strong, most of the times when I read the posts it seems everyone is just going along like a breeze, no problems or craves at all, so does make me feel better when I read someone else feels like I do at times. Thanks Aloha and Kita. hugs, prayers,pixie dust Bobbi [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 270 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $675.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bear, You ARE a more experienced quitter...hee hee. Glad to know someone else is still experiencing this, Kita. Well, not that I want you to be having urges, but you know what I mean. Danielle, not sure how to mix up the routine on this type of trigger, and the coping strategy is Just Don't Smoke ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 274 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,960 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,863.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 1000 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aloha, I am right there with you with the stress craves. To tell you the truth I don't think it ever goes away we just have to be on our toes. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 275 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,681.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep Make a new plan Stan.Sorry you wanted to hear from the more experienced quitters. :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 276 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,968 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,760.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 63 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57

Reading this thread: