Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,620 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO

Your ratings are in order

16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stickin, In response to your first question the answer is that yes, it makes me feel sad when I hear of long term quitters losing their quit. When I was a younger quitter, it would test my resolve, ie the 'voices' would be saying, 'Well if he has failed after 30 days, what chance have I got'. After a while, I got bored of these voices and ignored them. :) ... and you deserve a pat on the back for your efforts btw [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 554 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,620 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4,155.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 88 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mr. Ed It was the first questions that was important to me and geared towards newer quitters. I was not looking for a pat, and perhaps I am embarrassed about that now, however thank you. I was trying to gauge if I still added value, because I have somewhat lost touch with what it was like to quit smoking. If I can still help than that is a good thing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 575 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,162.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 104 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stickin' The answer to your questions is in the Hall of Fame. A member of the SSC gets nominated, seconded etc by other members because they are highly regarded here. I could equally say perhaps people tire of the silly Horse in a Hat! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 553 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,590 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4,147.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 88 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
16 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi alohakeia, so nice to see you :) Thanks for being so observant :O I used the word offended instead of troubled. I guess there is a difference. Sry for the confusion :( Hope you had a nice weekend! Think I'll try to get some sleep finally. Good night & sweet dreams :) Just breathe......ahhhhhhhhhh [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 80 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
  • Quit Meter

$26,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 587 Hours: 1

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
did i miss something? Did anyone take offense to your first answer to stickin's question, joyful? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 151 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,040 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,026.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well put Lamplighter :) Rusty I always get a lot out of your posts. In this one I do disagree with just one part. And that's that when someone relapses they disrespect those who supported him or her throughout their quit. If someone that I helped during their quit relapses it is no disrespect to me b/c their quit is not about me. It's their quit and I will do my best to help someone as so many have helped me. And if they relapse I will still stick by their side just like others have done for me. Because that's the way support is in recovery. We are there for each other either way. For it could be I that relapse and need their help. And if I do relapse it's not b/c of anyone who helped me. It's b/c I'm an addict and didn't do the things I needed to do to stay smoke-free. That wasn't all in reference to Rusty's one sentence, lol. "I must say that I am troubled that so much credence is put on a long time quitter�s failure to remain smoke free." I have a feeling this statement was in regard to my post. If not plz excuse me. Maybe I misunderstood your question? "When a longer term quitter stumbles or fails does that affect your personal detemination to remain smoke free? If yes how and if no why?" My answer was no and the reasons were extensive :) LIfe isn't "all about me". I can learn so much from someone elses relapses so that I don't have to go through the same thing. :) And also b/c I have relapsed I have experiences to share from it. Yes we are all entities as u put it, but we all have one thing in common we are addicts. We all have the same disease and many of the same characteristics. And as addicts we are all here for the same reason which is to get help and support and knowledge to quit smoking. So yes we are all indviduals who have something's in common and have come together to achieve one goal. That's the way I see it anyhow. All your posts have been very helpful. There are so many individuals on this site with lots of information to share and I've learned a lot from reading all their posts. And I appreciate the time they take to share their knowledge. Even if I don't agree with it sometimes, it keeps me busy and my mind of smoking. This is nothing to play with, addiction is a serious matter. No game playing, controlling, munipulating will help us get better and stay smoke-free. We are a team :) Or like someone else said today, a family. Sometimes I can be very long winded (especially early in my quit!) LOL I don't make the things I type up all by myself. I share what I've learned during the past 11 yrs that I've been in recovery. I only share because I really do care b/c I know what it feels like to be scared and alone and want to get better. What I type is truly not to harm anyone, that's for sure :) Just breathe......ahhhhhhhh [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 80 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $19.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
  • Quit Meter

$26,826.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 587 Hours: 1

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If it was clear to me that very few people ever achieved long-term success as recovering nic addicts, I suppose that would have quite an effect on my own quit. But I see that there are many people with long-term success, so it doesn't deflate me (with respect to my own quit) when someone slips... at any point, except that I feel badly for them. I realize how disappointed they are. I use the successes and failures of others as references for myself. There is something to be learned, in both cases, that can make me better prepared for the challenges I'll face as I go along. Fact is... no one can cause me to succeed in my efforts to become a non-smoker, and no one can cause me to fail. Whatever the outcome, it's on me. Fortunately... it's not over 'til it's over. But we want to make the most of our opportunities. We don't get an endless supply. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 166 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,535.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
stickin, sorry I'm late. I always have mixed feelings when a long-term quitter relapses. I guess I feel mad because I know that the person made a conscious decision to disrespect themselves and all of those who supported him or her throughout their quit. I feel frustrated because I know that there is nothing that I can do for that person if he or she chooses to smoke. And I feel sad because it points out how powerful addiction can be. But it does not threaten my quit in any way. I own my quit and no person or circumstance can take it away from me. stickin, you are a wonderful member of this site and I am always fascinated by your posts. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 979 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 27,412 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,426.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 138 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$54,932.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 648 Hours: 18

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for responding however I must say that I am troubled that so much credence is put on a long time quitter�s failure to remain smoke free. This is the other guy, not you; we are stand alone entities. I�m looking down at these meters here and I hear and watch them just chucking away each and every day. Bear in mind there are many, many more people who remain smoke free after two years than those that relapse. I read some time ago, that the relapse rate for the 2 to 5 year quitter was something like this 10% for the second year quitters, and 2% for the 5 year quitters. Now don�t get frighten, knowledge is your friend. So we know some fail and we have to except this and perhaps expect this. I would like all of you to be successful quitters and by getting past the emotional triggers, nicodemon is not calling the shots, you can get solid footing and with that comes freedom of choice. Once the triggers are tamed and desire has gone the choice is your. In the meantime be good to yourself by avoiding lighting up. Buy yourself time to heal emotionally and I think you will find that smoking is well a nothing. Thank you for your responses Stickin To It [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 574 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,332 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,157.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 104 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stickin, 1. Yes, it bothers me but rememinds me not to become complacent. 2. C :) Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 203 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,842.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
  • Quit Meter

$121,305.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 6

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: