Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

A Mercy Story

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes bear... big blues..and big band names. Stan getz....now his tenor sax races my heart. Know what you mean about that song..Girl from Ipanema! Certain songs....oh hum. I use to like to sing....."The Look of Love"........."Summer Time"..."What are you doing the rest of your life"...."Shadow of Your Smile." I'm Into Harry Connick...and Michael Buble. (a little Mercy tidbit...do I ever stop...) Smoking over time transforms a person's voice by thickening and drying out the vocal chords. The vocal chords vibrate as your breath passes through them, so their texture and shape helps determine what your voice sounds like. David Witsell, who directs Duke University's Voice Care Center, notes that the nodules on Johnny Cash's vocal chords that stemmed in part from his smoking habit helped create his unique sound. Bet they don't smoke. Just to get a sexier ...raspier voice is not a good enough reason to smoke.... LOL Mercy :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $594.51 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bear, Phew! Close one! Learn from this. Have a plan just in case you should run into this situation again. Danielle _______________________ The SSC Support Team
16 years ago 0 1698 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Mercy I was just being nosey.I used to hang with a female vocalist :blush: She was into Nancy Wilson,Stan Getz,Laurindo Almeida.And when she sang "The Girl From Ipanema".Oh well enough said. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $750.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
Bear, The music thing. Go to the Common Support Questions Heading.... under the topic..Liberal government scam. That's where you asked me the question. Like a good little goat with a wiggly tail...I answered. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $594.51 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to have to agree with Mercy on this one. That cigar was soaked for a reason. Count your blessings that you were not able to smoke it and look at it as a positive, spiritual adventure and celebrate that victory! If you would have smoked on that thing there would have been a "Who wants to yell at Bear parade." We don't want that and you don't either! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 146 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,190 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $613.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
Oh by the way Mercy I asked the question earlier but could,nt find a response it may have got censored.When you were entertaining what kind of music did you sing ???? :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $750.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Mercy this ain,t no pretend Bear.My motto "Go hard or Go Home "This addiction is a beauty.The more get the more you need when 2 packs a day does,nt fill the bill step it up to something that will.1 pack of cigars turns into 2 and so on and so on .I,m convinced that there was a divine intervention that took me to this place called SSC. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $750.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
Bear...I just wanted to put this in your memory too. I mean, just incase that golf-course gets infested with those critters. Compared to a cigarette, one cigar has 20 times as much ammonia, and five to 10-times more cadmium. Both of these are cancer-causing chemicals. The statistical evidence is even worse for other specific compounds that trigger cancer in humans. Tobacco used in cigars is aged and fermented, which increases its concentration of nitrate compounds. The burning process also is different, putting more toxic chemicals into cigar smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 133 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,660 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $594.51 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
Oh no Rusty no romance here the only thing that prevented me from lighting that cigar was the fact that it was wet and the memory of past experience.I know that I would have been physicaly ill if I had of taken one drag on that cigar.There is a very high concentration of arsenic in cigars !!!! :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 75 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $750.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, and you would have almost been back where you started. Bear, don't romanticize that cigar. Be done with it. You've NOT lit up 1,350 times. That is something to be proud about. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 902 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25,256 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,157.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 127 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
  • Quit Meter

$54,662.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 645 Hours: 13

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: