Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,768 Members

Please welcome our newest members: browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme, Iamamother12

Cold Turkey

17 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Summer, Cold turkey worked for me this time. I believe I was mentally prepared well enough for it. I have tried other methods in the past and have quit with the patch a few times and hypnosis. All got me off smoking but keeping the quit was the trick. That's why I'm here exchanging thoughts and encouragement with people striving for the same goal. I want to keep my quit and I've not been too successful at this part in the past. I know I'll make it this time. I've never had this valuable of a resource in past quits. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 965 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $201.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's funny how different methods work for different people. First I tried the gum and I HATED it. So it didn't work for me. Then I tried cold turkey, several times. I could not get past those first 3 days. Then I heard of Chantix. It did work for me. It's not an NRT, but it does affect the receptors in your brain so it's not quite the same as cold turkey. And yes, I'll eventually have to adjust to not taking it, but by then I hope my brain will be reprogrammed enough to keep me away from nicotine. It's nice that we have options. What counts is success! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 401 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $134.64 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$119,660.29

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6407 Hours: 18

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 650 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I, too, have to agree with Tutti. I also quit cold turkey, that is what was best for me. But if someone needs help by using NRT, well go for it. Do whatever it takes to reach you goal of being a non-smoker. Loulou [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,852 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $510 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If someone can do it cold turkey i say kudo's to them but....I am not one of them. I am taking chantix and to me it's almost like a miracle drug. To each their own because the thing that matters in the end is stopping smoking. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 188 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Summer I agree with Tutti. From previous quits, I use patches and this gives me time to break the daily habit of smoking and then I quit from the patches. It makes life so much easier for me. Goodluck with your quit and keep going strong Mitch [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Summer, I respect your point of view. I too quit Cold Turkey. However, I feel that the most important issue here is to quit. I believe a person has to choose the method that works best for them because, every person is different and every person's quit is different. If a person uses an NRT for a period of time until they're weaned off, well alrighty then. Just as long as they're not firing up a cigarette. In the long run, that's what counts. Stay Strong, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 72 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $258.48 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We all have our opinions and no one way is the right way :) We thank you all for sharing your experiences and showing that it can be done in more ways than one! Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.
17 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me Quitting cold turkey was the best method. (believe me I tried them all) In the long run its the easiest, quickest,least expensive and most effective technique of smoking cessation. "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance" This in affect is what happens when you choose patches or Gum etc, How can you get off nicotine when these products just put it right back in your body and draws out the withdrawal period? So quit cold turkey and in 72 hours your body would have detoxed and you will be nicotine free and to stay that way all you have to do is Not take another puff ! It gets much better and it gets much easier. Life without nicotine is not a sacrifice, it is freedom from the death sentence you are serving voluntarily. You smoke by choice. Decide that you can live without nicotine and you can. Never believe for a second that you are smoking due to circumstance, stress or habit. You smoke because you are a nicotine addict. Choose to never take another puff and you choose freedom. Choose freedom and you choose life !. Stay Strong and Never take another puff ! Summer :)
  • Quit Meter

$3,204.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 462 Hours: 11

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let's see. When I first started this journey I tried Zyban, then I tried Zyban and the patches, then the patches alone, then Smoke Away, then the patches again, then cold turkey 3 or 4 times. I agree cold turkey is easier, but it is my behavoir that gets me in trouble. I now am working with my doctor and hoping this is final quit. So there are many ways a person can quit, but the secrect is staying quit. That is why I have never given up because I know there is a way for me. There are many here that have used anyone of the above methods and are now smoke free. I am so grateful that they are still here to support all of us. Sparky [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Summer, It's true that after 72 hours, our body generally can flush out the nicotine. However, it may take weeks or months to overcome the addiction! :) In the past, I have tried Cold Turkey but failed. This time, the warm turkey (ie. with the help of an NRT inhaler and NRT lozenges) seems to work for me! :) Cheers, nmc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 249 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,499 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1245 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20

Reading this thread: