Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

An invitation to long-timers

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you to all our long-timers who answered! Any more pearls of wisdom out there? Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gee, I could go on and on with this and we all know the reasons, but the one I love the most is being able to jump to somebody and hug them and hear them say that I smell so good. I was so timid before of the smoky smell, I would withdraw. And I love hugging! And of course the best one would be my health. I couldn't say a complete sentence without coughing, and when I laughed, I would choke to death. It was so embarassing! The best feature are my stats, the $ saved, which I got to put away in a special account where I dip into for rewards like a day spa, anything I crave to buy without hesitation. Gee, the pot is really big and so is the stack of cigs not smoked. I just can't imagine seeing that many sticks in a pile. At least now I don't feel like a reject of society with a cigarette standing outside a door in the rain or freezing. There is so much more acceptance socially. Face it, you will have to quit eventually and one day anyways. Why wait for spring? My quit date is the first day of spring, March 21st, it is a rebirth, a new life I have been given. I welcome the new smells, of which I had forgotten for so many years. They are just amazing... You can stop me anytime now.....:) :) :) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/21/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1489 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 29,799 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12656.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 194 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$45,406.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5381 Hours: 12

Minutes: 52 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I quit smoking I made a few promises to myself. I would not gain weight and I would get healthy by taking better care of me. I didnt gain weight, in fact I lost. I started walking and biking and exercising at a gym. I feel wonderful. I got a new job. I would never have applied for this before I quit because I can't smoke at work. Now I have a job I love and enjoy. I smell better, I look better, and my house smells better. My husband is so proud of me, and I am proud of me too. I am coming up to 2 years smoke free and I have no doubt my life is so much better without the smoking!! My life has changed so much since I spent those 3 days crying and hurting from the withdrawal. I will remember them always, they help remind me why I dont want to smoke anymore. Is my life better since I quit? You bet it is!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 727 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5452.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 98 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How long have you got? All the above and yet more. Just do it and reap the limitless rewards, believe me. Penitent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1065 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,318 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5325 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 173 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 9

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I've thought about this a lot. I should have responded earlier but I've been a slacker. :p The big thing that kept coming back to me when thinking about this was one word: [b]FREEDOM[/b] And one big statement that really resounded: [b] Freedom from the LIES[/b] Freedom from worrying if I had my smokes with me. Freedome from wondering how I'd work out smoking around Airports when flying somewhere. I've always wanted to travel overseas, and I always was worried about how I'd manage a 12 hour flight without smoking. Can you believe we would do things like avoiding the experience of a lifetime just because we couldn't smoke?! Freedom from being annoyed if a movie went long because I couldn't smoke, Freedom from pulling into my driveway, realizing I was almost out of cigarettes and getting all pissed off - starting the truck back up and heading back out to go get a pack. Freedom from wanting to get a carton, but not being willing to do so because it meant I was a serious smoker. I no longer lie to myself. I'm no longer shackled by addiction. I would lie to myself: "I still ENJOY smoking." Sound familar?? Oh my god. I would wish I could quit while supposedly "enjoying" this. I would lie to myself that it wasn't so much money. It's 2 house payments every year. HELLLLOOOOOoooooOOO?!! lol I LOVE the fact that I can go anywhere, and do anything. I'm no longer bound by worrying if I'll be able to get a smoke in. I can go to a party and not be "that guy" standing out back sneaking a smoke. I LOVE that I no longer worry about if I smell or not. Oh, oddly my mint bill has gone down too. Odd that, eh? lol I recently went to a big geo-caching outdoor gathering at a park. There were about 60 people there, adults and kids. Everyone was having a great time. Socializing, helping kids and adults create and stock new caches, eating potluck... all kinds of stuff. I happened to notice at one point there was ONE guy, way over by the bathrooms - smoking. I can't TELL you how glad I was that I wasn't [i]that[/i] guy... the guy standing next to the bathrooms at the park. Oh yum doesn't that sound just great?! It's SOOOOOoooo much nicer over on this side of the street. The air is sweet and clean and everyone is having
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for sharing...I really needed this reinforcement today! Kiwi - I can't wait to get into that deck chair!!! :8|: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,696 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $312 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,150.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5539 Hours: 13

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was watching my husband the other day just sitting and smoking a cigarette. Then I watched him a little while later, just standing and smoking a cigarette. That used to be me. How did I get anything done? I didn't. Now I have energy and drive and motivation. I don't stink anymore. I don't have that little embarrassed feeling that I used to have when I would go out for a smoke break at work and people I knew would see me. I don't have to be constantly checking on where my cigarettes and lighter are. Physically, I lost that little hack that would wake me up in the night. My blood pressure and heart rate are normal. I can walk 4 miles in an hour. My gums are happy! Mostly, I am so incredibly proud that I have been able to kick the smoking habit. Like Healer and Martha and others, I never reminisce or look back with longing. I never imagine that smoking will bring me anything near what NOT smoking has brought me. At 57, I am in graduate school working toward a second career, while I am working full time on my first. I don't think I would be doing that as a smoker. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 851 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 23,840 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2978.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 118 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
  • Quit Meter

$54,724.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 646 Hours: 7

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I smoked, every part of my day needed to be planned around where and when I could get my nicotene. I spent much of my day in continual cravings. I could not relax and enjoy lunch with friends and colleagues - I was always scheming when can I get away? Then - Tense, continuous planning, smelling, shame, coughing, embarrassment, Now - relaxed, proud, much richer too Lizzie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1451 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,771 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6529.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 145 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$8,844.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 782 Hours: 12

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phil! You've come such a long way... you MUST be feeling the bliss right ? Please tell me you're feeling pretty damn good at 248 smoke free days ?! J xo [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/thumbsup-1.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 231 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $92.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I will let you know in 117 days............. Oh remind me please! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 248 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,461 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1302 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: