Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,487 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

Idle speculation and observations

17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gen, I certainly understand your feelings...I smoked for 42+ years and can't remember the days as a young teen when I didn't smoke. That cig was always with me, through the celebrations and the sadness, the stress, and the relaxation. Always! Every day, except for one when I was in the cancer hospital for surgery. By my second day I was walking my IV bottle down the hall with my coat on to go outside the door for a smoke. I have wondered if I am going to like myself as a non-smoker with my new (?) coping mechanisms, if you can call them that. Don't allow your friends or family to interfere with your decision to quit. They don't understand, and we can't explain it to them. (well, we can, but they still wouldn't get it!) Just stay with us, we'll give you all the support you can handle. Stay quit! Nance [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,460 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $232.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
He Genevieve, So glad we could help. Thats what this forum is all about. Let's keep in touch and we can keep our quits together.! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 841 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Phil And WON you did. Can't wait until I can say that! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 839 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:) :) Now I've got it. Thankyou Angelcapp and everyone else who responded to me yesterday. I really mean it. Made me feel so much better when I read them this afternoon. I thought the computer was dead this morning and that I would have to live without that too but the daughter has breathed life into it and so I'm back in touch and glad for it. Reading others reaction is also reassuring with regard to the reaction of those closest to you. I have decided not to mention my not smoking any more to anyone else and, as so many of you suggested, keep it to myself as my thing for me to cope with and be proud of and to share with you lot. I do have to say though that my partner, although he never talks about it, is really cutting down now and tries not to smoke in my company anything like he would have done. I'd urge him to stop but I know that's not the way to go. I stopped drinking three years ago after almost killing myself with it(literally)and I know from that and the smoking thing that no amount of people on your case is going to make you make the decision to quit it has to come from you. So. Thanks you all and I hope I can be a positive voice for some of you sometime. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 105 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �42 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angel, etc. - I think in their defense (non-smoking spouses & others) it is possible that since not smoking is their everyday normal condition, it doesn't stand out to them. To us, however, it is monumental. That's why the positive feedback is so helpful. Sometimes we just need to remind them that they need to give it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 66 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$119,526.03

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6400 Hours: 16

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I agree with Freemom Nonsmokers have no clue what we are going through. My husband has said to me only once that he is glad i quit, and he was the one who hounded me day in and day out to quit. He hated smoking that much. Now getting a reaction out of him is like pulling teeth! Am I being selfish? Wanting someone else to at least notice? I guess this goes back to why we quit. We need to quit for ourselves and only ourselves! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 834 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lots of comments about non smokers not knowing how hard it isto stop!! Truth to tell as as a smoker I didnt know until I tried AND WON!!! Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 238 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,238 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1249.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to echo several others here - people who have never smoked just don't understand how hard it is. My husband falls into that category and when I've tried to explain that it's an addiction and a process not an overnight thing, as well as that each previous failed attempt was a step toward ultimate success - well, he looks at me with that, "sure, you're making excuses" look. But he just doesn't know. Also, as much as he HATED my smoking - he hardly notices or reacts now that I'm quit! I think part of it may be that he's afraid to get too excited and then be disappointed if I fail. But I have no intention of failing this time! Oh, and though I'm using Chantix and not NRT, as I understand it the nicotine should mostly be out of your system in 3 days. So if you've made it to day 5 .... then seems to me it would be foolish to put nicotine back in your system with a patch or gum. Good luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$119,526.03

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6400 Hours: 16

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Genevieve, You really are doing a great job and we're all so proud of you. I agree with Dupe. I really don't think people who have never smoked have a clue as to how horrible this addiction is and how hard it is to break. But, I think there are others too that do know just how hard it is and really don't expect that it can be done. Or, they think that there's a one in a million chance that it can be done because they, themselves weren't able to quit. I sort of look at all of that and it makes me stronger. Yep, it's a bad addiction alright but look at you, you're already on Day 5, deserving a huge reward, and a might big hug. Go ahead, hug yourself. Oh, and the cold turkey thing....that can be done too. I smoked 27 years and 2 1/2 packs a day and I went cold turkey. You CAN do it. Stay strong with us and keep right on talking to us. Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,978 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $154.37 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Genevieve! I�m with D2Q � quit for you! Know in your heart that you are doing a tremendous job. I�m proud of you and proud of me, too! We�re all doing this together. Lainey � what a great response! You guys rock! Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 697 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 27,918 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4530.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 91 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$472,201.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5381 Hours: 7

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 1

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: