Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Non or EX

17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mercy, I read on one of the posts that ex-smoker was a good term because it made us continue to be aware that we could return to our old habits at any time. The term non-smoker may make us think we have this licked and don't need to be on our guard. I don't think terms really matter, if someone asks me if I smoke I can just say "no". I'd be curious to hear what some of the long term quitters have to say. Dupe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 110 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To be honest... I'd have to say that right at this moment I think of myself as an ex-smoker. I'll see myself as a non-smoker when I spend as little time thinking about smoking as people who have never smoked do. :) But, no matter what I call myself, the main thing is that I don't smoke, and don't intend to. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 316 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with you John....Ilike to tell people I am quit. It may only be 1 month for me, but the more people you tell that you quit, the more chance you can show someone else that they can quit. I want everyone to know what I did/am doing for my family and myself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 786 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What is all your preferences. Do you think of yourself as an ex-smoker...or a non-smoker. I can't decide what I would say if someone asks me...."Do you smoke?" Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,127 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $250.32 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I reply with a big fat NO! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 69 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,041 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $289.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:confuse: Can't make up my mind...both sound right! It's nice to walk into a restaurant and be asked "smoking or Non-smoking?"...and be able to say "Non-Smoking please" but.......on the other hand when someone offers you a smoke and you look them in the eyes, so you say..."No thanks, I don't smoke" or "No thanks...I quit!" I guess either way...I am a winner...!! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $361 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
NON And I didnt quit I STOPPED(Nothing to quit) Phil x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 223 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,908 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1170.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wear a N.O.P.E. bracelet and get asked often what it means. I'm proud of the fact that I have quit! And anybody who knows me knows that I am an ex-smoker. However, I now prefer the term non-smoker. I never thought I would get here, because I was also of the opinion that ex-smoker is the better term because it reminds us that we are still one puff away from a pack a day, and we always will be. And it's not that I've forgotten that... I haven't, but I don't FEEL like an ex-smoker anymore. I feel like a non-smoker. When I first quit, anytime something happened, good or bad, my first thought was "I WANT A SMOKE!!!" Now, I don't get those thoughts anymore... something happens and I deal with it in other ways, much like a NON-smoker would. A non-smoker doesn't crave cigarettes whenever something happens, and either do I. Therefore, I am NOW a non-smoker, but am still very proud of the fact that I quit smoking and wear my bracelet proudly and tell each and every person who asks what N.O.P.E. stands for about this site and my experiences. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 639 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 15,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2639.07 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting results, I know I am an ex but refer to myself as a non. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 420 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,312 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2205 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 78 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can't decide what I would say if someone asks me...."Do you smoke?" NOPE! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 191 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,596 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1528 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49

Reading this thread: